Chronic and long-term abdominal, lower back and leg pain

Posted , 6 users are following.

About three years ago I went home early from dinner with stomach discomfort. The pain has never gone away since that night but only increased in intensity (it also decreases at times but it is always there). There was no pattern (type of pain, area of stomach) but now I would best describe it as bloating and cramping and it is usually in my lower abdomen but at times extends to under the rib cage. At times it has been so severe that I have been tempted to call an ambulance where I can barely breathe and scream out if anyone touches my stomach. A few months later I developed lower back pain and leg pain. The pain in my back is right at the tailbone and can best be described as aching. Standing up for long periods of time further exacerbates it. The leg pain is mostly in my thighs and extends to my hips. It is sharpy and stabbing and feels like a very painful case of restless leg syndrome. I have met with countless gastros who tell me it is IBS and I just need to live with it, I have worked with a several different homeopathic doctors who have put me on strict diets and tons of supplements, have tried acupuncutre, massage and yoga and am currently working with a psychiatrist and internist who are convinced the pain is a result of my depression anxiety when in fact the depression/anxiety is a result of the pain. I have done every diet imaginable (and for extended amounts of time) and at one point consumed only bone broth for 23 straight days to which my symptoms were not alleviated. Constipation has been something I have dealt with since I was a child but consume copious amounts of water, take Magnesium Citrate in the form of Calms, flax seed, eat clean with no processed food or sugar, probiotics, exercise and I typically go once a day which improves symptoms temporarily. Occasionally I have no choice but to do a saline enema to get some pain relief. I have been tested for every GI disorder there is as well as MRIs, scans, SIBO tests, celiac testing, food allergy testing etc. I've become severely depressed, isolated and anti-social as a result. Has anyone else had a similar experience? 

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Have your gastro doctors given you a definite diagnosis of IBS?

I don't think psychiatrists are particularly helpful for IBS.  However, gut targeted hypnosis can help some people to manage the pain.  Try anti spasmodics to reduce the pain but you may have to try several. I find Buscopan helpful and sometimes Nurofen for major flare ups.  Have you tried the Fodmap diet?

• Posted

I was not given a definite diagnosis but after nothing showed up in my bloodwork or stomach scan this seemed to be the conclusion that each of them drew. I have taken Buscopan but did not experience any pain relief. I very strictly adhered to the FODMAP diet for 6 months and continue to stick to it for the most part but do occasionally stray and eat out. I eat a very clean paleo diet with no gluten, no dairy and sugar once in a blue moon. Thank you very much for your recommendations! 
    • Posted

When all your tests are negative, IBS can be diagnosed. Stress and anxiety triggered my IBS but medical appointments worsen my symptoms because I often get things going wrong at dentists, doctors and the like.  This has caused a medical phobia over the years.  In the end I have learned to avoid stressful events if I can, particularly medical ones and to just accept if I do get stressed, I will get anxious and get pain and I reach for my antispasmodics.

However, my IBS has improved a lot from when it first started last February/March.

• Posted

The pain does sound like ibs or gallstones but it may be a symptom of something else. My ibs is a symptom of my chronic fatigue syndrome and it can also be a symptom of fibromyalgia.

Take a look at the list of symptoms for both and see if it could be that. It took me years to get diagnosed. If you think you do then ask to be sent to a neurologist who can diagnose it. Have the list of your symptoms that meet the criteria.

Re ibs complex fibres will make it worse but you need the fibre to keep your stomach working. I found using a centrifugal juicer takes out the complex but keeps in the easy to process fibres. Also there is a wheat based probiotic that is expensive but works brilliantly. You can get it online. I get it every so often as it works fantastic.

Also if you are female hormones can make ibs worse. I was on the depo contraceptive injection which helped enormously. Had to come off as been on it too long :-(.

Hope it helps.

Sue

• Posted

Thank you Sue! This is my first time posting on a forum and it's reassuring to hear I'm not alone. Be well!

• Posted

I definitely have those pains as well but they come and go.... I get them every few months and they last for a few months. They feel like inflammation and can really hurt. Mine are also accompanied by loose stools which are usually not all day but two to four times in the morning. I have had this for years but am in a particularly bad flare up right now... I also get pain under my left ribs with this. I have a colonoscopy next week. In the past, my colonoscopies were clear except once, it showed ulceration so in my colon. I only take Tylenol when really bad along with my supplements such as Omneprozole, probiotics, slippery elm, vitamin D and I juice cabbage and celery.. Nothing seems to help.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.