Citalopram and mirtazapine cold turkey due to throwing up blood

Posted , 5 users are following.

Here is one for you, been told by doctor to immediately come off both as I am throwing up blood, I have a hiatus hernia but it has got much worse over the last month, I have taken citalopram for about 8 years on a 40mg dose, and mirtazapine on was a 30 for three years now 15mg for about 5 months, going cold turkey, is that wise? My doctor has refered me urgently to have a Endoscopy, will I get loads of withdrawal symptoms ?

1 like, 21 replies

21 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I would not think going cold turkey off of both is a good idea. The endoscopy can rule out things. I would expect you to have very bad withdrawals if you do. See what the endoscopy shows, sounds like further testing is needed.

• Posted

Hi. Thankyou for the response david, My doctor has told me to do this and I have never heard it's a good idea to go cold turkey. But his response is in this case you have too, just worried about the side effects 😞
  • Posted

I definitely think you should never come off these drugs cold turkey Tina because there could be significant side effects , however there is the issue in your case of the hiatus hernia. You need to contact your doctor and ask for a professional opinion. He/she then has to investigate coming off these drugs and weigh up the pros and cons of slow or immediate withdrawal.If it is your doctors opinion that you must withdraw immediately then do it but discuss this with him as soon as possible.Hope you can get hold of your doctor straight away otherwise go to your nearest hospital and ask a doctors opinion. Good luck and heartfelt best wishes to you x
    • Posted

Hi. Thankyou for the response felix and David. My doctor has told me to do this and I have never heard it's a good idea to go cold turkey. But his response is in this case you have too, just worried about the side effects 😞
    • Posted

If the Doctor told you I would say you should do it. Do you have anything for anxiety? Maybe that will help get through the withdrawals. I hope you remember the forum is here to help you as well.

Will be thinking about you please keep us posted.

• Posted

Hi David. The mirtazapine was for anxiety, and helped me Sleep too, guess I will just have to sit tight and see, and Thankyou again
    • Posted

I take both bit found Ativan to help during adjustments in meds. Your welcome happy to help any way I can.
    • Posted

Wow. Second day cold turkey and I have had a huge meltdown, couldn't sleep until 7am, then lost it all day, crying like someone has died, crazy snappy with my daughters, having to move at present, got five weeks to pack up and find somewhere else as house is sold, and this has come at worse time, any pointers or ideas as I feel

My brain is only capable of a sentence a minute then I lose it, can't get my

Words out correctly, is this right?

• Posted

Do as your doctor says and ask him if it would be ok to have a sedative to help with sleep and side effects. These will only band aid things but you need some reprieve and assistance to help you cope.

hope the endoscopy goes well and keep us posted.x

• Posted

Thanks felix. And will keep you Posted
    • Posted

Wow. Second day cold turkey and I have had a huge meltdown, couldn't sleep until 7am, then lost it all day, crying like someone has died, crazy snappy with my daughters, having to move at present, got five weeks to pack up and find somewhere else as house is sold, and this has come at worse time, any pointers or ideas as I feel

• Posted

• Posted

This keeps posting the same thing? Anyone know why?
  • Posted

I would ring the out of hours doctor and get a second opinion if I were you. Cold turkey on top of anxiety re blood and moving house is not a good mixture xxx 
    • Posted

He knows all of this yesterday, just today was so mental. Never known anything like it. Like sectioning stuff then crazy crying. My 19 year old, poor thing she was really cool. But you can see it freaked her. I hope tomorrow is better 😞

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.