Codeine cold turkey

Posted , 3 users are following.

I’ve been addicted to Codeine for 4 years after giving birth taking approx 10 tablets a day. 

Im on my 4th day without using them, I’m sick as a dog so have been taking some paracetamol for relief. ??

Early mornings are the hardest for me, every morning is a struggle when I get up as it was the first thing I did, I’ve been feeling very dizzy too ??

2 likes, 2 replies

2 Replies

• Posted

Hi there 

you shouldnt just stop taking them ... codeine is metabolised to morphine in the liver and thus when stopping will give you "cold turkey" type symptoms 

i can understand you wanting to stop but this has to be done gradual ...and luckily 10 tablets a day isnt as severe as some ive seen ....

reducing by 1 tab per week should stave off any withdrawl and will allow both your body and brain to adjust ... and any side effects such as diarrhoea can be sorted with imodium and stomach cramps with buscopan ...both these are avalible over the counter without a prescription ...

paracetamol wont help much and your liver needs time to get better after long term ( as co-codamol contains paracetamol ) 

you could ask your doctor for help,however guidelines in the uk say you would be refered to a drug team and they are instructed to place you on a methadone program ... this is counter productive as methadone is significantly more potent and would create alot more problems ..

so a slow taper ( 1 x tablet per week ) would be better and would be quicker getting you back to your normal self ..

i wish you all the best 

• Posted

Thanks so much for this I had started this over Christmas and seems to be going ok just a couple of tablets a week, the mornings are so much easier once you get those initial couple out the way.

Thanks so much for the advice 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.