Strange Fluoxetine side effects

Posted , 182 users are following.

Hi everyone.

Started to take Fluoxetine just over 2 weeks ago after being prescribed them for depression and anxiety. I'm hoping it will get better with time, but at the moment I'm feeling so tired constantly, and like I've lost all my motivation. I'm also feeling quite self conscious around people, and my anxiety has increased a little. If anyone's had a similar experience, how long was it until you started to feel better? I'm not planning on stopping the medication as I've heard it does take time, but can't help wondering how long I have to endure these exacerbated feelings :?

12 likes, 415 replies

415 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Hi Gaz

I've been on 20mg for 2 weeks on monday 25th Feb. I also feel really tired all the time, and have lost all motivation. I feel really down, I think Im paraniod as well at the moment.

If you read the comments on here, it can take a month, 6 weeks even maybe 8 weeks before we may start to feel better. Like you I am planning on sticking with them, although I am going back to see my Dr on Monday, as I am feeling so low.

This site is awesome though - to be able to share it all with so many people in the same boat, that understand. One thing I've learnt is that I'm not alone in the way I'm feeling. I dont really know what I would have done without the caring people on here.

Good luck Gaz, I hope they work for you, and for all of us. Let me know, I'll let you know what Doc says Monday

Suz

• Posted

hey i feel the exact same ive been on them for 2 weeks now and all i want to do is sleep .

i took mine during the day and now i changed it to having them at night , dont get me wrong i get the best sleep at night having them but then waking up is a bigger issue . its crazy 

• Posted

Hi all, just started Fluoxetine 20mg ( i take at night) 8 days ago after being prescribed them for depression. I do feel tired on these - not as hungary as I used to be - do feel odd at times and my head feels at times all over the placeand also do feel self conscious around people but yeah I have picked up in my self a little and have been told it will take a few weeks before they really kick in, so just going to hold on and see what happens, dont like the idea of been on tabs (my first time) but if it helps why not? wish me luck A....

J.B

• Posted

Does your meds originally say take in the morning I'm wondering cause mine say take in the morning but would like to take at night

• Posted

Catgirl01, my pills just say take once a day and I started in the morning but got really tired and sick to my stomach the first day so I changed to taking them before bed -- its day 3 and I'm still having a lot of problems with being tired and sick to my stomach but it seems better than taking them in the morning.  Maybe call your doctor to see if its okay to switch, I can't imagine it wouldn't be okay to do so

• Posted

Hey I'm posting this to a lot of folks here. My doctor recently switched me from pristiq to prozac and then to taper me off because none were helping.

What I found out we that my tiredness and all of the other things that were going on was not sure you that all but to there food, particularly the meat and diary I was eating daily.

For the past 2 weeks I have increased my veggies, salads, fruits, water, nuts significantly almost eliminating meats and diary. I have so much more energy, less pain and stress, depression, etc.

I've started meditating with music (various frequenciesbiz) letting it play low during the night while I slept.

Today I feel like a new person! Now i cheat a lot but I've increased the intake of the good stuff so it still makes a HUGE difference. I couldn't believe it.

I cannot imagine how much energy I'll have even I start exercising.

The brain just like our other body parts need good food to preform. In tried vitamins, that did nothing, but the removing the poisonous meats, dairy, bad sugars and starches is the drug we all need.

It works I challenge you to try for at least 2-3 weeks and let me know how you feel!.

• Posted

Thanks for this info on cutting meats and dairy.  I was on fluoxetine a couple years ago, and got off due to the forgetfulnes and the lump in my throat and upset tummy along with the tired and lack of motivation.  I am back on the product due to the loss of the love of my heart.  Its been 4 days now and I have had these panics waking me up for a week. I found him in the floor ad rushed him to the hospital. He never came home. Passed at 52 yrs old.  I am struggling with the peace.  And the lump of this pill.  

• Posted

hey i feel the exact same ive been on them for 2 weeks now and all i want to do is sleep .

i took mine during the day and now i changed it to having them at night , dont get me wrong i get the best sleep at night having them but then waking up is a bigger issue . its crazy 

• Posted

Hi John

Good luck mate. My first time too, and feel the same - dont like the thought of being on them, but had to do something as I have never been lower in all my life as now, and it's either this or just not facing another day.

I really hope you, and Gaz, Ang, everyone, all of us, find a way out of the darkness x

• Posted

Thanks for your replies guys, as you say Suz, it's really great knowing I'm not the only one having these feelings.

From what I've read up on Fluoxetine, it's very common to almost get worse before you get better, so I'm putting my faith in them for now.

Know what you mean though John, it's a bizarre feeling when the mind's all over the place.

Hope your visit with the doctors goes ok Suz. I'm no expert but you'll be better in the long run I would imagine, as a few people have said in this forum, it takes a while for the benefits to override the side effects. Hang on in there, we're all in the same boat! :-)

Good luck..

Gaz

• Posted

HI, just wondering if you had any update on those?
  • Posted

Hi Guys nice to hear others views and how they are doing on flouxetine, I saw my G.P yesterday and did also say things might get a little worse before things pick up, that's what my doc said. He did say I could be on these things from 3 months to 6 months, I like to think they will carry me over this rough patch till I think I'm ready to slowly come off them (that's the plan lol)

Did feel low to day, but made sure I did things around the house and kept my mind active, suzisue i wish u the best of luck u be fine, what u feeling is what we r all feeling and yes it sucks lol but u be fine. And Gaz hang in there like to think we could keep in contact on how we r doing?

Any way take care guys!

J.B

• Posted

I might be on this medication permanently so I'm hoping it works out ok!!!! My GP suspects I have a serotonin deficiency, as I've had problems for years and no successful treatment from counseling, CBT, psychotherapy, hypnotherapy, etc etc.. but hey, as you said John, if it helps me live my day to day life then why not? In can only be a good thing.

It's definitely beneficial to stay active, I've had the lowest days when I've just stayed at home doing nothing on these tablets. But I'm still feeling tired constantly, and like one of Ang's comments, I can't stop yawning! So sometimes it's hard to get motivation to keep active, bit of a vicious circle really.

Yes It'd be great to hear how you're doing, and I'm sure the mutual support will do us good.

Take care, Gaz

• Posted

Hi Gaz and others? sorry to hear Gaz that u had problems for a few years, i bet u wondering what the hell is going on?

Like your self I did do counseling on 3 different times over the last 10 years and I did wonder did it help? or make things worse in a way? but what broke the camels back u could say was just 11 months ago I moved to ireland from england with my then wife and two children, within a few months my wife left me, I became homeless, I later became a single father to one of my childeren and dont forget you have your every day crap throwing on top of this as well. I hit rock bottom this is why I ended up on fluoxetine its what i need just for the time being to get me through a few months, a sort of pick me up really.

I wouldn't like to be on medication permanently, theres dealing with your self then theres dealing with medication I feel medication is just a short term use to get u over the hill u could say, then face realality and life after wards. I feel its a whole shock to the system to find that you might have drepression and realising you need help then the other side of that coin is tablets that's a new whole ball game, but at this moment I'm happy to take them as I do need them, who knows I might eat my words in 6 months lol.

Take care

J.B

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.