Fluoxetine and Alcohol

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi, I wanted to see if anyone has had any side effects from drinking alcohol and taking fluoxetine? I know that it's best not to drink, which is what I'm trying to stick to.

My other question is I am really keen to go to the shop and just buy a small bit to drink, I can't resist, but have been trying to stay alcohol free, because it makes me more down. I can't help myself tho :o :cry: :oops: :twisted: :twisted: , it's like a craving, but I'm not an alcoholic? I have days where I don't drink, I don't have it on my cornflakes, so I'm not an alcoholic right?

All answers gratefully received :shock:

Jemima

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

From what I understand, being an alcoholic doesn't mean that you have to drink every day...but I don't know how someone would be classified as an alcoholic. I think it's good that you have recognised that there may be a problem and maybe you should approach your GP with your concerns. Be honest with him/her and tell them what you are feeling and what you are tempted to do and they may have some advice/help for you or they may be able to stop you worrying about things. It's difficult when you are told not to do something (ie drink) as you then just want to do it more and more, especially as it may have been a big part of your life. Habits can be broken though...but do get help to work through things. :-)
  • Posted

Hi Jemima,

I am a bit like you. I only started taking prozac a couple of weeks ago and part of the reason was that I was so sad and stressed out that all I wanted to do in the evening was to have a glass of wine, then another one, and more, and more again...until it was bed time. It was really

worrying me, so I went to my GP and discussed the situation. He gave me antidepressants and I was really hoping that they made me drink less but it's not really happening and I am really worried that they react in a weird way with alcohol. Anyone has some experience with this?

Also, I know it's a bit early to say, but although I was beginning to feel that prozac was working well with me during the second week, now I have kind of lost that feeling and I have been very down for the last couple of days. Is this normal?

Please let me know,

Laura

• Posted

Hi Laura,

Like you I was feeling okay in the first couple of weeks then I hit week 3 and it was hell, however this is the first day of week 4 and I have had a pretty normal day so fingers crossed for tomorrow. Hang on in there and hopefully you will start to feel good too. My GP said it would be okay to have a glass of wine with the tablets and like you I really enjoyed more than 1 glass a night but last friday I had a few glasses and I'm not sure if thats whats made this week worse or not so I have had nothing since last Friday and so far I'm not missing it (and I had wine nearly every night before). I thought I would give the medication a little longer to get in to my system and stablise then treat myself to a glass. Hang on in there.

• Posted

[color=indigo:f192c33848]Hi Laura

I've been on prozac 3 months-ish. I haven't been 100% compliant and I haven't given them much chance to work at their best.

School of thought is that alcohol negates the effects of the anti-depressants, since alcohol is a depressant.

My drinking is worse than it ever has been.

I discovered that at about week 3/4 that I became really low, but now I'm okay. Not cured, but I'm doing every day and feel much better.

I am getting emotional support now, and that's made a huge difference.

I suggest you give some thought as to why you drink. AA website is an excellent resource in my experience.

Keep us posted :-)

Love

Jemima x x[/color:f192c33848]

• Posted

hey there. i too have had a bit of a problem with alcohol and have found it hard to curb since i have been on fluoxetine. i don't know if i would class myself as an alcoholic but i do feel rather controlled by it sometimes.

i have been on the medication for just over 2 weeks now and have found that when i drink i get drunk a lot quicker off less than what i used to drink (mainly vodka). i have also noticed that i feel very 'high' and hyper but then the hangovers are just awfull. hangover symptoms seem to get multiplyed and the morning after i suffer from severe headaches, quite often vomiting and terrible shakes. this normally lasts all day.

i would say that after drinking alcohol, it decreases the effectiveness of the meds and can give you that low mood so try your best to avoid it (although i know it is hard). all the best, stay strong!

rose

x

• Posted

hey

i went to the doctors to try change my medication as ive been on them for 5 or 6 weeks now and have cried prob every other day....so on monday i halved my dose of fluoxetine and two hours later i was shaking and felt sick. i have since decided that i prob havent given the medication enough time to work and im back onto my normal dose of fluoxetine.

one of the reasons i also wanted to change anti-depressants was the effect fluoxetine had when i only had 2 alcoholic drinks...im not an alcoholic...im 22 and want to go out with my friends for a few drinks....especially seen as though not going out was the reason i was depressed in the first place. i felt the doctor didnt listen to me ... said i should be more creative with suggesting outings with my friends! i cant force my friends to change their plans cos i cant drink. when they would rather save their money for a night out.

so.....anyways im back on flu again and just wondering if ive done the right thing by giving it another chance? i feel exactly like i did when i first came on fluoxetine ....feeling sick...headaches etc....

i feel awful. i just wish id never messed with my medication. i just wanted to not feel so isolated when everyone will be drinking at christmas.

• Posted

Hi, I know I am not supposed to drink on them (20mg) but I have been, and I have not noticed anything different to be honest, except perhaps feeling like I wanted to drink less than normal (ie. stopping after 3 drinks rather than 5). I suppose it is different for differnt people.
  • Posted

I have been taking fluoxetine for a few months now. It really helps with my OCD and anxiety. However, I like to drink on occasion. I have only drank a few times while on the med and the results have been horrible! I can easily drink six beers and not suffer a hangover. That is no longer the case. I feel as if I pulled a bender and suffer similar results as a previous commenter.

Getting off of this kind of medication needs to be monitored by a doctor. Not only does it cause suicidal thoughts but you can go through withdrawal much like heroine. I am looking for more natural medications at this point as I am trying to to be healthier. I taking Vitamin D and Fish Oil, both of which are really helping.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.