Mirtazapine for 6months, think it's making me feel depressed!

Posted , 9 users are following.

I've been on mirtazapine for about 6months now. 3months at 30mg and 3months at 45mg. I was put on it due to generalised anxiety and mild depression from a build up of stresses in my life. It hasn't been plain sailing and to be honest the only thing mirtazapine has done is help me sleep. My anxiety is much reduced compared to before I went on, but I genuinely feel like I'm only as good as I am because I've done it myself with life changes etc. I've just gone back to work and it's really good for me socially. 6months into mirtazapine and I'm starting to become upset by the constant feeling of numbness, miserable mood, irritability, and the weight gain is starting to make me miserable. I can deal with a bit of weight, as i was skinny anyway, but like all my work clothes I purchased a month ago are all now too small. It's becoming upsetting and I can feel the anxiety creeping back in. I feel like the fact the mirtazapine is making me feel miserable and low, is setting off my anxiety again, and I am wondering if anyone else has in fact felt better after stopping mirtazapine? I have a docs appointment to discuss coming off in a few weeks. 

0 likes, 33 replies

33 Replies

Next
  • Posted

hi racheal i have come off mirtz still tapering, on sertline now feel so much brighter in my self even through im still having a few side effects of tapering over..good luck hope that helps
    • Posted

Hey Julie,

I'm hoping to try give it ago without meds. I can't tolerate the insomnia side effects of other drugs and that's why I was out on mirtazapine in the first place. I just feel really sad on mirtazapine and I have thought for a very long time that it was the mirtazapine making me feel this way but I persevered thinking it may just be the illness not the tablets. my mum has just recently been on mirtazapine and she's spent a month on them and ready to come off, she's confirmed to me that everything I've complained about is deffo the tablets. I have no vary tee I'll be 100% better once I come off but I won't know until I try. Why did you decide to come off the mirt? 

• Posted

i felt awfull on them, no motivation. headaches and low moods i went so low that was the last straw and came off them..been two weeks now 
    • Posted

I haven't had the headaches but low mood is very noticeable. It feels like something is pushing me down. I can't get excited about anything. I was such a bubbly love life girl before and I just feel like curling up in bed most of the time I'm home! How have you found coming off? I know you've said you've cross tapered onto something else, but any tips? Xx
    • Posted

tapering over as made it easier..i didnt at 1st and had vivid dreams in colour! if ur coming off them with out anything else use mediation music to keep your self calm at night i used rain music you can find them on you tube..i have heard benadry1 for hay fever eases the side effects of coming off ADs .worth a thought ..goodluck..plenty of water :-) 
    • Posted

Thanks lovey smile I haven't had dreams like some people have on mirt. I'd be surprised if I do get that as a withdrawal symptom I'm mostly frightened of mega anxiety as a symptom, but equally I feel like the mirt is the thing making me anxious!! 
  • Posted

Interest g what u say Rach, as I been on them bout 3 months at 15mg, started to feel better quite quickly, but now seem to have gone backwards, feel very lethargic, and no energy and lack of motivation. Do lot of sports and my performance has been nowhere near as before.

like u sleep is a lot better on it, but that seems about it. Hard to say if tablets or depression, gut feeling is tablets mainly. Went to doctors today to suggest way to come off mirt, fair to say wasn't really great help

• Posted

I felt improvements initially too. I perservered for a long time as I was not sure if it's the illness or tablets making me like it. I just feel like they've done nothing but make me fat and sleep! Lol I had terrible rage in first months of taking them- I'm suprised my hubby is still alive!! 

I feel like they are either doing nothing and when I come off, I'll feel no different, or that I'll come off and feel happier because they are blunting everything happy. I still have anxious days but only usually when my mood is low...which is frequently on these tablets! 

• Posted

hi, i've been on mirt for about 4month,was on sertraline.i havent felt any benefit at all. i just feel REALLY angry and fat. put on 1 and half stone which makes me feel worse. asked doc to takeme off but he just says to stick with it but it's me who's getting fatter and still down!
  • Posted

I've been off and on mirtazapine.  Started at 15 mg. but because  of sleepiness the doctor told me to cut it in half.  I still am sleepy, have no energy (even tho I was always a high energy person), have vivid dreams and find it very hard to get out of bed.  I don't have severe depression and generally no anxiety - mostly it's sadness.  Many people gain weight.  I  don't have that problem as I have very little appetite.  I've also been prescribed Wellburtin  and later escitalopram.  They both caused insomnia.  I am going to try to wean myself off mirtazapine  (I've done it before and  went back on it.  I'm going to try to get off it completely but I know I have to go slowly as withdrawl effects are not pleasant.  I wish I never started with any of these medications. I was prescribed an antidepressant as I told the doctor that I didn't care if I lived or died but I am not I suicidal.     Mirtazapine works very well for some people who call it a life saver but I think they take it in combination with other medications.  Definitely speak with your doctor and good luck.
    • Posted

Interesting your doctor told you to cut it in half to prevent sleepiness. Mirtazapine is more sedative in lower doses....lol I just can't bare to stay on a tablet that is not making me happy, is holding me down and actually making me feel more anxious from the low mood xx
  • Posted

This seems an awful lot. Even on 15 mg I notice the sedative effect. I am surprised that you can work on 45 mg.
  • Posted

As Rachael says it is LESS sedative in higher dose. I am not sure weather to come off them or not, only on 15mg, and they do help me sleep, but I don't seem to have any energy. Difficult one, bit worried bout withdrawal symptoms, but I didn't get many side effects on them, so maybe ok
  • Posted

wow reading throug all your comment as open my eyes even more as how i was feeling on mirtz. id hide away as i didnt have the engry to do anything.so glad im off them! 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.