Duloxetine 60mg capsules (Cymbalta)

Posted , 4 users are following.

First of all I am not diabetic but I do need help on the above tablet Duloxetine (Cymbalta) which I believe is given to diabetics for pain relief (or so my doc tells me).  I have Cervical spondalosis which gives me extreme pain and for which I take 30 tabs daily plus Morphine and liquid Morphine.   Doc has prescribed Duloxetine which is an anti-depressant but which I believe also helps pain. Can anyone on this site who is diabetic tell me about Duloxetine or have they taken it and has it helped with pain?   I am afraid to start taking it as it does not have good reveiws and is used mainly as an anti-depressant. There appear to be too many side effects, some of which I have already from morphine and it appears to be difficult to come off.   If anyone can coment and help me with this I would be really grateful.   I suffer chronic pain 24/7 and my meds at the moment are having little effect on controlling the pain.   They just keep increasing morphine dose which I am a little afraid of.   Does Duloxetine really work in controlling pain?  Thanks to anyone who can ehlp.

A|rran103

0 likes, 11 replies

11 Replies

• Posted

You take Morphine plus a morphine elixir but you don't say which ones or how much at the moment. Unfortunately your body gets used to these drugs and no matter how much you take the effect diminishes. I have never taken Duloxetine, but I wonder if it has the same effects as Amitryptiline which does the same and can be given in slowly increased doses if needed.

Speak to your doctor about your concerns if your unsure. Also have you ever been referred to a pain clinic?

• Posted

Hi Suzanne30809

Thanks for replying.   I take Morphine slow release tablets 60mg. twice a day and Oramorph 5mg four times daily as necessary.   I know that the body gets used to Morphine and it is has already been increased 3 times in last year.   Unfortunately after spending a week in hospital trying every other drug, morphine was the only one which gave me no severe side effects.   I am not happy that the morphine will have to be increased regularly but I have no alternative.   I have tried everything else, Amatriptiline, Gabapentin Pregabalin and so  many more I forget their names.   Either I had a bad reaction to them or they did not work so Morphine was the only solution along with diazepam, anti-sickness pills, paracetemol etc.  I have been to the pain clinic but they actually gave up on me as they have run out of ideas.My pain is extreme.  I scream in agony when it is at its worst and vomit frequently. I now have pills to put under my gum to stop the vomitting and morphine suppositories when I cannot take the morphine orally.  I am between a rock and  hard place.  I also have asthma so many drugs are not siutable for me as they bring on asthma attacks.  I often have to be admitted to hospital when I vomit so severely I become dehydrated and have to be given my meds intraveneously.  My doc suggested Duloxetine as a last resort to help my pain.  It is used for Diabetics for pain but is mainly used as anti-depressant.   The side effects I have read up on are not good and  I already suffer many side effects from the drugs I am taking now.   I really don't know if my body can take any more.   That is why I am reluctant to take Duloxetine.   I was hoping to talk to someone who is diabetic and taking it for pain but so far have not come across anyone.  My doc is sympathetic and understands my concerns but he too is running out of ideas.   I have been to private chiropractor who gives me very gentle treatment but after 8 teatments and around £200 lighter I feel no improvement.  I am about to see a friend who practices Bowens (like acapuncture without needles) so perhaps that will help.  Unfortunately, I have an illness which will get worse with time and is too dangerous for op.  I have seen three neurosurgeons none of whom were willing to try an operation .I will mostly try anything which I think may help me but my body is tired and weary both physically and mentally and I'm running out of steam.   Sorry for ranting like this but the floodgates have opened!  Thank you for your concern and suggestions.  It was very kind of you to try to help.  If you hear of any diabetic who has tried Duloxetine for pain please let me know.   Thanks again.   Sorry for the rant.

Arran103

• Posted

Hi Suzanne

Just to let you know I plucked up the courage and took the Dulocetine - big mistake!   Wthin four hours I was vomitting and had diaorrhea for twleve hours solid.  Had to get doc in to give me injections.   Seems I had bad reaction to tablet and can't take it.   A warning to anyone else who has been presribed this tablet.   Beware!   I have been on Amitriptiline before but I had no reactions  at all when on it and I took it for several years.I think the 60mg dosage of Dulocetine was perhaps too large a dose to begin with.   Anyway, I won't be trying it again.   It certainly didn't help my pain - just gave me more problems.

• Posted

I don't blame you, but at least you tried, sometimes if you refuse to take medication your doctor can be a bit funny with you.

take care, I hope something is found to ease your pain. 

• Posted

Thanks for your help.   Always looking for anything that will help me.   Found a drug called Tapentadol which is for nerve pain so asking about in the forums if anyone has tried it or heard of it.   Hope someone out there can help.
  • Posted

Hi, I've never heard of it so I've just read the info on this site, I currently take Tramadol and have been for 2 years now which as you probably know is opioid derivative, I take 100mgs 4times daily, and it has now losing it's effects, so my GP is slowly introducing Codiene to see if it helps. so keeping my fingers crossed.

Try the manufacturers web site or one of the medicine formularies online, they may give you some of the information, good luck in your research.

• Posted

Hi Suzanne

Looked it up but didn't get much informtion.   I took tramadol for years but it was like taking sweeties for me.   Just wondered if anyone had tried  Tapentadol.   Really wary about trying anything new after the Duloxetine!   I take 8 x 500mg paracetemol along with 60mg slow release morphine and oramorph plus 12mg diazepam throughout day, plus anti-sickness tabs, along with asthmas meds.   Quite a concoction!   If only someone could find something which really worked and took away the pain at least.   That would be a Godsend!   Anyway all we can do is keep trying and support each other through this horredous illness.   Thanks for your reply.   Keep in touch.

Carol

xx

• Posted

Hi Carol, you are having a bad time of it, I just wish someone would come up with some sort of pain relief without the side effects, It seems we will have to wait and see. I don't blame you for being scared of trying anything else, but trying is the only way we know it these drugs will work.

The trouble with taking painkillers our bodies get used to them and they no longer have any effect so it's on to the next one.

keep in touch, hope you find something soon. 

Suzanne xx

• Posted

Thanks for your reply.   It gives you a wee boost to see  reply in your inbox.  i will keep trying although it is sometimes soul destroying when nothing works and the pain gets worse.   It does worry me that they keep upping my morphine because my body gets used to it so I try and hold off a long as I can before going back to doc because I know he has no other options.   I was amazed when I came on this site and realised there were so many people with the same or similar poblems as myself.   At least we are not alone.  Thanks again for your reply.

Carol  xx

• Posted

Hi, we both seem to have much the same problems I can give you my reactions to Cymbalta, I have waited a couple of years to get back on it. I was devistated when I could no longer get samples from my Dr. The insurance company would not cover it for me I also had allergic deathly reactions to other meds lucky I lived. I am in constant pain it is a very rare occasion when nothing hurts. I am on ext and imm morphine along with now thanks be to God Cymbalta. I have had no adverse reactions to this drug. Everyone is different and reactions are different. It does take time for it to work so give it even up to 6 weeks or so ask your druggest as I do not recall how long for sure but for me it is a wonderful relief from a few kinds of arthritis and fibro I have. Not all pain is gone but oh so much better. So glad my insurance has changed! The only other drug that worked for me was Bextra and it is no longer on the market. Good luck to you.
  • Posted

Hi Arran, being so touched by your personal contribution to this forum. L register to enable my own concerns with medication of these really powerful drugs., the are prescribed to us, and we then take without questioning our GPs as to the short and long term side effects. I am 66, and have been on a cocktail of medication for 5 years. I am not diabetic, but live with chronic pain due to lumbar spine damage after taking a large dose of steroids. My daily medication is as follows, 8 X 500 mg paracetamol, 11 X 300mg Gabapentin. 2 X 60mg Duloxtine, 2x 5mg Amitripytine, 4 X 500g Antibiotics(no spleen), 2x 60mg slow release Morphine, 2mg Warphrin, a some others l cannot recall at present as l am wording this whilst in bed. Having moved three times over the period in question l cannot get my head round differing GP prescribing methods, and also the methods of different Pain Management advice that l receive. My notes and results of various MRI and X-rays are discussed, but nobody is dealing with my chronic pain, they just keep telling me to continue with the medication, l also have 10 mg Severdol( Morphine), and Oramorph ( liquid Morphine), to take as and when required. In the last 3 months l have bouts of severe sweating, my new GP suggested that l stopped 1 X 60 mg of Duloxitine, this l did, and have been really poorly since l stopped taking this tablet, lever thought to ask that shoudent l be weened off it gratdully?, and he never thought to tell me. Duloxitine is a very powerful drug, and especially at my age, but l red different forums and l am shocked t peoples( including myself ), nyivity recording this medication. I wish you all well.

Maria

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.