New to IBS

Posted , 9 users are following.

I am a 20 year old female. I was just recently diagnosed abouth a month ago with IBS after reporting symptoms of chronic abdomin pains with constipation, bloating, and foul smelling wind. I have cut out lactose and gluten and starting walking on a gentle track with a slight slope. I have discovered I am gluten intolerant, because anytime I accidently have gluten my cramps kick in within 10 minutes. I am only lactose sensitive. I can eat some lactose and not feel any effects, but if I go overboard I react, mainly with gas. Along with these things I've noticed that I also feel inflammed by chocolate, citrius acid, sugar, and caffeine. I keep a regular schedule of eating times to keep from flare ups, but when I miss my time even by 30 minutes my stomach acts up immediatly. I always feel hungry even after I eat and I know my stomach can't handle more than a regular serving.

My main question is my stomach pains are still pretty regular daily. I rarely have a time during the day where I'm not cramping or have some form of rumbles or gas. My pain has recently become this intense painful growling feeling. Instead of my stomach make a growling noise I just feel it along with pain that feels deeper than normal cramps. Has anyone else experieced this same feeling with IBS? Is there more I can do to regain control of my body or is it just something that takes time with practice and experimenting? I'd love to hear inputs of what I could try to make my symptoms less intense. 

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

Hi annah, I can relate to a lot of what you are sayng - it's not nice is it? sad    I can only speak for myself, but since taking a daily tonic of pure aloe vera gel I'm happy to say that I've never felt better.  It's not a cure, I do need to take it daily, but it is so worth it smile
  • Posted

H anna i got diagnosed with IBS last week, suffering from really bad cramping pains (worse than labour pains) the doctor gave me Apercap capsules, they work a treat bloating and pains gone, Try them they may work for you you never know

good luck

Sue

• Posted

Hi annah

I'm afraid it's just practice. I've had post infective ibs for nearly 2 years now and I'm only a little better. 

Diet and stress management are the best things to get control of. Don't eat anything that make you feel even a little bloated or sick. Gentle exercise and try to remain chilled out and stress free, which is Easyer said than done. Lots of people say alo vera works, it hasn't for myself but like I said it just trial and error. I find drink warm cranberry juice in the noting as soon as I get up helps me more. After that I'm afraid it's all drugs. Buscopan for stomach cramps, colfac for ibs bloating, omaprazole and indigestion stuff to help stabilise your stomach and if your being sick take an anti sickness tablet. If the pain persists after trying all this, there is amitriptaline, it's not a great drug to be on but I couldn't live or work if I didn't take it

Hope there's a little help in there

Xx

• Posted

Im 29 and had complications at birth which meant for my infanthood I had to have enemas, my stomach swelled it was all awful, then aged 6 I was fine....

22 years later after eating a huge burger I must have relit the situation, however I dont get cramping, I just get very gassy and belch a lot. I have had cameras both ends and there was nothing to see.... so they cant figure out what the cause is an have just cast me off as having IBS. But i dont suffer from constipation or loose movements. Medication doesnt seem to do a thing for me. Metaclopramide did.... but the side effects were too much!

So I dont know what else to do!

• Posted

Hi I'm new to ibs to I am currently curled up with stomach cramps and the pains are extreme. I have got peppermint capsules that help a bit I'm still getting used to these symptoms and most of the time they flare up regularly. I would like to know how others deal with their symptoms. I'm 23 and had a healthy diet already. Thanks x
    • Posted

I'm 22, & I've been there.. in the car driving, in bed, even the bathroom floor! It's the worst pain ever! - I changed my diet completely and the cramp episodes are gone (I'm currently still searching for help on other symptoms.. I suffer from IBS-D & I think now lactose intolerant). I took out all spicy food and "junk" food. Grease did not do me well. No sodas. No more fast food.. and the most important one for me, acidic tomato sauce. Spaghetti and garlicy food killed me!!! You got to take out any of the triggers. Make a list of what you ate before these episodes. It will help. I know you said you have a healthy diet, just trying to help smile I love organic peppermint hot tea with honey... soothes my tummy. I'm currently searching for a probiotic - I hear it REALLY helps. Good luck to us all. I hope I helped kindish.. haha!
  • Posted

Thank you lorraine172, susan82656, and Rosesquiril30. 

I am just very confused by this syndrom.

Right before I was diagnosed I worked at a camp, ran every other day, hiked, did vigurous activity, and ate whatever I wanted. Now, I have to eat on a strict schedule or my stomach's growls feel like they will devour me. Could that be due to the lack of gluten and my stomach adjusting to the less fiber intake?

I also use to clean all the time because I enjoyed it. Now even the action of scrubbing a tub or being on my feet to long causes flare ups, is that normal with IBS?

Is there a way I can try and avoid flare ups without medicine, like maybe essential oils? I heard a lemon/peppermint blend rubbed on your stomach during flare ups helps. 

The constant having to battle stomach growls and cramps, does the intensity ease with time? 

• Posted

It's all relative and individual. My ibs is extremely severe and I have uncharacteristic symptoms like blood and mucus, c and d at the same time, sickness, dehydration and weight loss. Personally I think ibs is just something they lable you with when they are not really sure what wrong with you. 

Apparently peppermint tea and alo Vera is supposed to help. Over the last two years I've tryed everything, I was also super active before I got ibs, I ran, went the gym, mountain biking. Now I struggle with vigorous activity, but I've started yoga which really helps to relax you aswell as work all your muscles in a non invasive or vigorous  manor. But I'm afraid of your in lots of pain, pills are probly the only way to make it better. But try warm cranberry juice that seems to help settle my stomach, try liquid paracetamol like calpol as it's Easyer to digest, never let your tummy get to acidy so carry rennie or gavisgon, I even tryed gryp water that you give to babies lol. After that it's your ibs drugs like buscopan and colfac. Trial and error I'm afraid

I still get really ill, I'm in a relapse at the moment so I've demanded more tests xx

• Posted

There's a site called Allergynutrition which has some good advice I think. It's made by a professional, Dr. Joneja and she has also written a book on this subject. IBS is definitely very much about diet. Don't blame your troubles on psyche and stress - I don't believe that factors in a great deal. There are some quite understandable, physical/biologic/chemical reasons behind this syndrome, read wikipedia article for isntance.

FODMAP is a good starting point. Monash university is the authoritative source on that. Be wary of oils, seeds and fats in general. Simplify your diet, and look out for things you can be kind of allergic to. Look for FAQ at monash university on IBS, or at allergynutrition.

Personally I've found that most glutenous whole-grains are very bad. They are high FODMAP. But processed into flour and cooked they are less problematic. Also skins of tubers are very bad for me. I mostly cook the food I eat.

• Posted

I have the same problem, I have to keep a schedule, this part for me is hard because of my work schedule, I do go to the gym and I try to eat as healthy as possible with low sodium and sugar, but I noticed that broccoli, chocolate, cafeine, beans, spicy food, codiments on my food, some fruits such as apples, papaya, pears, and watermelon make me sick to my stomached, and a lot of pain. At night especially and builds a lot of gas, what I have been doing  I started a blend diet with a lot vegetable skipping the one that make me gassy, I also try do avoid dairy, but here and there I get cheese, or almond milk, and taking some gas pills helps me, but I do drink a lot of water. I also have been testing myself with the food to see what causes the more pain and no pain, also I have noticed that making smoothies in the morning helps, blueberry smoothie, banana, helps me. Oh yeah and a lot of water, the more water the better. I notice the chicken makes me gassy, so replacing it with turkey, and fish helps but occasionally I try to have chicken. I hope you get better soon, as I wish it to myself and all the people that suffer from this. 

Best of lucks

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.