Achalasia - improvement after dietary change

Posted , 4 users are following.

For over 5 years I have had swallowing difficulties. Initially it was solids then it was with semi-liquids and cold liquids. I would experienced chest pain and frequently had to regurgitate to relieve the pain. Then a wonderful thing happened. My wife came across this book by Dr. Mary T. Newport entitled “Alzheimer's Disease – What if There Was a Cure?” In her book she wrote how a simple dietary intervention of coconut oil (for its essential medium-chain fatty acids) has help improved her husbands' alzheimer condition – (you have to read her book to understand more on the biochemistry of this miracle oil to our body).

My wife decided that I should give this oil a try as in her course of work, MCT oil (found in coconut oil) were also given to premature babies to supplement their feeding or babies with GERD.

I started taking 2 tablespoon of organic extra virgin coconut oil (unrefined & cold pressed) on 2 June 2012. It is now slightly over 2 weeks since I've started and I am happy to say that I now can eat and swallow comfortably without any choking episodes, no regurgitation of food because I can feel the food moving down the esophagus and into the stomach. It is indeed by chance that my wife found the connection of this simple diet change by Dr. Mary Newport to improve my achalasia condition. I urge you all to read all you can about the miracle of coconut oil and have it into your diet as soon as possible to get the amazing improvement that I have had since taking EVCO. Good luck to all..

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Yes, please do keep us informed over time.  I have been on the Autoimmune Paleo diet and have noticed my symptoms are much milder.  I also include some coconut oil and may increase it after hearing your story.   I'm trying to decide if that means that I don't need surgery or if I still should as a preventative measure since they say there is no cure for Achalasia and it could get bad later.  However, like you, I feel pretty good right now so it's hard to think about any kind of serious procedure.  I do think that we need to be careful, however, to watch our symptoms and be checked periodically to make sure nothing is going on without us realizing it.  
    • Posted

I just have had my Laparoscopic Hellers Myotomy (about 4 weeks ago). So far it seems to be a success.

Before the op I have tried all sorts of thing including Paleo and EVCO. Things seem to get better for a couple of days and then worse again. Diet is so complicated and works with everybody in such a different way that it is very hard to pinpoint why things happen.

The same goes with Achalasia. Nobody seems to know why it happens.

I'd like to say to you monitor you progress with EVCO and whatever diet you do. If you don't need the op that would be great and if you can postpone it because of your healtier diet then that's great too.

The one thing I will say the Myotomy did help in my case and a healthy balanced diet did do a lot to help me recover from it fairly quick. With no complication or pain afterward apart from acid reflux but I am working on it. Good luck to you.

• Posted

I have found coconut oil about a year ago and also changed a lot of other dietry aspects including having a go with Paleo. However in my case this did do nothing to improve my Achalasia. It progressed and I had Myotomy about 4 weeks ago.

However keep trying as Achalasia is one of these deseases which show very varying symptoms and complications in different people.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.