UROLIFT-HAVE YOU HAD THIS DONE??????

Posted , 21 users are following.

I just looked at a YouTube video of a "Urolift Procedure" and I must say that it actually looks very impressive.  It certainly opens up the channel from the bladder thru the prostate and should help you pee more "freely" without the problem of the urethra  being squeezed to death.  I would love to talk to some guys that have had this done to see first hand of their experience and side effects.  Thank You. 

0 likes, 47 replies

47 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I just had the procedure on Monday in Australia - performed by Dr Peter Chin, the coinventor of Urolift. I am already seeing amazing results in the volume and velocity of my peeing. It is so good I could join the Fire Brigade as an extra hose. Post operation was not much fun though as there was quite a bit of bleeding as my prostate was so large - they had to use 3 Urolift devices on either side. There has been quite a bit of pain with peeing - for the first couple of days it was like peeing razor blades, however pain relief and other remedies helped get through it. So right now, Thursday, the pain is much better although I am still peeing a lot. I am told this is because my bladder wil continue to spasm, like it has been doing for years, until it is retrained. The surgeon says I had the Arnold Schwarzenegger of bladders. They have given me Vesicare to help with this for a while. This procedure has been well worth doing and going to make life so much better! Good luck
    • Posted

Hi Kamokid;  I hope I can find a good Doctor here in the U.S.A.  I don't want to travel 20 hours in the air to go that far.  Take Care and best of luck to you. 
    • Posted

Hi

You say your prostate was large.  How big?  My consultant says that anything over 60cc is a problem.  Mine is about 80cc.

Best

Mike

• Posted

Hi KamoKid,   Now that more than a week has gone by are you almost pain free and are you still pleased with the results of your Urolift?   I am 64 and have had BPH since I was 55.  I would love to have the Urolift procedure since it is the only surgery that does not have long term side effects.   however I have a small medium lobe and like you my prostate is quite large.  Did you by chance have a medium lobe in your prostate?  I am told that the procedure cannot be done if one has a medium lobe.  I live in the US and many uroigists who do the urolift procedure are not even doing it if the prostate larger than 80 cc.  That is about the size of mine.  

Thanks,  Terry

• Posted

Yes it is now almost 12 days and very happy. Still a bit of pain while peeing but not razor blades (which they said was my bladder trying to close as it was so strong). The peeing is not coming out with quite the same velocity as couple days afterwards as it was but I think that is because the bladder was so strong. They say it takes a while for the bladder to catch up with the fact it does not need to be so strong. I am also taking Vesicare which helps to settle the bladder until it sorts itself out. This operation has been so good for me as I have been putting up with this problem for 15 years (now 56). I am sleeping better (although still getting up a couple of times a night, have much more energy and can think clearer. Also not sitting in meetings thinking I need to go again.

I have photos from the surgeon which showed my prostate was completely closing the uretha - it would have been hard to get a needle through - then the after photo shows an excellent big gap. They say no lifting or exercise for two weeks and i have been very careful with this as did not want to start bleeding again. Bedroom exercies were allowed to commence after a week and are still a bit painful but worthwhile. I think the pain is from bruising of the instruments. My prostrate was said to be 55cc based on the Ultrasoung but surgeon seemed to think it was bigger in reality. They had to use 3 Urolift devices on each lobe which is more then normal. When I first went to see them they said that 80cc was the upper limit too so I think you better get in there quick and get it done. From my point of view this operation has been a resounding success.

• Posted

80cc is the upper limit - see my post to vacationterry.
    • Posted

Hi Kamokid..Roberto here 

I am in Western Australia....

I am 67 and have a 370cc BPH....

I am going bananas waiting for the Hospital( Fiona Stanley) to call me for a PAE....then I found out they DO NOT HAVE ANYONE who does PAE here...so...I just read about your UROLIFT...I hope you are still feeling well and a year after the procedure is still good....

Did you do it privately or Medicare covers it? Is the place where you did yours the only one in Aussie?

By the way,any info you could give me about this UROLIFT would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks a lot mate.

Take care 

• Posted

Just enquiring what size your prostate was prior to surgery?

Thanks

Wayne

• Posted

Not sure where you are in the USA Chuck but Google this article as I suggest if they did it there first they would be one of the best candidates "First U.S. Patient Treated Following FDA Clearance of NeoTract's UroLift® System" .

Thanks for your wishes and good luck to you too.

• Posted

Iam now wondering if insurance is going to pay for the urolift procedure.  These new procedures get real tricky as to insurance allowing it.   Wish there were more guys that have had this done. Would love to talk to somebody that had it done one and two years ago.
  • Posted

Suggest you take the bull by the horns and ask Chuck and if they say no hit them where it hurts!

BTW - for ebveryone following - now been 18 days since my Urolift and all the pain gone, only waking up once in the night and have had more energy than I ever remember having. Brain is not continually focusinhg on whether I need to pee or not! Leaving for EU in 2 weeks - 30 hours of flying from NZ and hoping to have worry free flyiung for first time in 10 + years!

• Posted

Hi KamoKid;  I meant to ask you a question.  Right after your Urolift procedure how long did you have to wear a "catheter"??? Tell me about the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd day after the surgery.  Pain, etc etc???
    • Posted

Yes I did have a catheter. They were nto sure before the op if I would need one but due to the size of the prostate there was quite a bit of bleeding so I needed one. It came out about 6am the net morning (op was at 10am). It was bloody unpleasant but juts as well as there was a lot of blood clots and they had to unblock them a few times by pushing a big syringe of saline up the catheter and drawing it back out. Woudl have been a real problem without that - not very pleasant either. A lot of pain peeing after catheter out - you think you want to go but you cant. You need to pee at least 150mls 3 times before they let you go. Had a lot of trouble with that but finally peeed 2 big blood clots out and I had a fire hose going. Day 2 and 3 were razor blade peeing with lots of volume but it just got better and better and I think razor blade feeling stopped after day 4 then it was more pain coming through the uretha - presume due to bruising of having things shoved up there. All well worth it though Chuck. I was not allowed to exercise until 14 days after, but have now got back to jogging and gym without any issues. When I run down th hill it still feels like I need to pee but as soon as I get on the lfat that feeling goes away - previously I felt like I needed to pee throughout most of the run and woudl need to stop and go - None of that now. First 50km cycle ride tomorrow.
    • Posted

Thank You for the update KamoKid.  I appreciate that.  Atleast I know what Iam in for.  Take Care. 
    • Posted

I would also like to ask you if you had to do it all over again would you???  In other words was it worth all the pain and expense????  How many times per night are you now getting up to pee????    That is the "ultimate" question.
    • Posted

Absolutely worth everything. Actually I it would be worth paying 10x what it cost personally for the benefit I am getting. Got up once last night slept from 10.50 till 5.30. Had my first bike ride and did not even haveto think about peeing until after about 1:45 of riding but then there was not desperateness and when I finished 15 minutes later I did not need to rush to the toilet, Did all sorts of other things before I eventually went. So no more panic times, which is just so good. I do a lot of lfying and sometimes had to go over 20 times on a 12 hour flight - what a disaster that was. Not expecting any of that when I fly to the EU on the 28th. When I came back from Sydney after the op which was abut 3.5 hours in the plane I went once where previously I may have had to go 5 or 6 times. It is so worth it Chuck. Stopping thinking about it and go book in!
    • Posted

THANK YOU KamoKid.  I don't need to hear anymore.  Iam now in hot pursuit of doing the "urolift".  May the Good Lord above throw you down a "Special Blessing".  Thank You again.  Hope we can keep in touch over the weeks and months.
    • Posted

Thanks Chuck. Let me know how everything progresses! Where in the USA do you live. Good luck!
    • Posted

Hi KamoKid;  I live in Omaha, Nebraska .
    • Posted

I have been there for a day (1994) to visit Werner Trucking. Taxi driver said it was fanous for inventing two things - the TV dinner (Birdseye) and the 1800 call centre (due to time zone and neutral accent. Nice people there.
    • Posted

Hi KamoKid;  I just received a call from the Doctors office that I want to have the procedure done at.  It seems that Medicare in the USA is broken up into "10 regions" and only "one region" has approved the Urolift as of today.   It looks like I may have to "negioate" and pay this out of my pocket.  Or "wait patiently" until Medicare approves it in my region.  It does seem crazy that Medicare would approve it in one region in the country and not the others.  There are so many things in life that absolutely "Make No Sense".
    • Posted

As a quick add on.  You can't beat the system by going to the region where it is "approved" because it goes by "where you live". 
    • Posted

That's a buggar! Going to Aus might be cheaper!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.