Gluten Free diet

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi is there anyone out there that eats gluten free and any evidence to say that it will help with Graves or Hyperthyroidism?

Just exploring my diet as I'm on 30mg of Carbimazole daily and have put on weight. I normally have low fat, high protein, low carb, veggies, fruit and lots of water, but still putting on weight.

Weight gain is this because I'm going back to being hypothyroid or the Carbimazole? Back at the doctors next week for a blood test.

Just wondered whether to try gluten free, although at the most I only eat 2 slices of bread a week and my diet is quiet healthy apart from the occasional glass of wine.

Thanks Jan biggrin 

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Yes going gluten free and cutting sugar from diet makes a difference for me.  I belong on other patient boards and many of them have found improvement in changing their diets to gluten free.
    • Posted

thanks Linda,

Does eating gluten type foods aggravate graves and hyperthyroidism symptoms ?

• Posted

Apparently it causes a lot of problems with a lot of autoimmune diseases.  This is because of the manufacturing process of wheat in North America at least.  I don't know if it is as much of a problem in Europe.
  • Posted

Hi Jan,

I too have been diagnosed with Graves 4 months ago. I have always been slim and petite. My weight went down to 40.2kg. Its now a healthy range at 47kg. I dont want to put on any more weight though. I have often wondered going Gluten free.

Im also on 30mg Carbimazole daily, plus 2 Beta Blockers. I dont want to put on anymore weight. I really hope this fixes itself up soon.

Jody

• Posted

Thanks for replying Jodie, hope we all can get better soon x

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.