Getting ready for mirtazapine withdrawal??

Posted , 10 users are following.

Last night started week 10. If you are preparing for, or are just starting mirt wd, I would like to pass along a little advice. From the researce that I have done from every source that I could find. First, the other members here most of all, and then other sites. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to what to do, other than common sense. I have seen people who had tapered for over a year, still going through hell, and others who say that they are symtom free after a cold turkey stop. There are too many withdrawal symptoms to remember, and how can you be 100% sure that what you are feeling is coming from your body wanting it's mirtazapine back? I have had some awful, horrible feelings since stopping cold turkey off 7.5 mgs. And the anxiety has made me afraid at times that I was/am having some serious health issue not related to wd. There have been 2 ER trips, 2 AM crying spells, and unrelenting worry. The wonderful folks on this site have kept me from being in the mental ward at the hospital, as I had no choice to go off the mirt because of side effects. Please, before making a decision in despair that you normally wouldn't make, get with someone here asap and talk it out. Doctors? My doctor seemed to think that withdrawal ends when the medicine is out of your system, when in fact, the definition of withdrawal is withdrawing from something that was previously there. In this case, our brains want the chemical back that it was using to run our nervous system, our bodies, and it is letting us know with the awful, terrible way that it makes us feel. I'm no expert, and there are several on here that have made the trip all the way, which I haven't. And they are the sources that are priceless. David

2 likes, 17 replies

17 Replies

• Posted

Thanks David, keep on keepin on and keep the faith too. 
  • Posted

So sorry you've had all that trouble, David. I am well warned about coming off Mirtazapine. I am on the maximum 45 mg and also on Pregabalin. I have anxiety problems and sometimes vomit, so I have Diazepam to stop that. Don't even know what I'm worried about ! but thank you for your advice. I am finding this website very supportive and am glad I came across it.

Like others, soon after I take the Mirtazapine I am SO hungry. I eat sweets and crisps and cake - things I didn't even used to buy before I took this drug. Can't get enough of them now - I even eat during the night when I wake. Fortunately I haven't put a lot of weight on. YET.

• Posted

Ann, the chemicals in mirtazapine make you crave the carbohydrates in those particular foods. I have stayed up watching TV, and get up at 2 AM and head for the junk food. Pop Tarts were a favorite. I was on 45s for almost 8 years. It is odd, I weighed 220 lbs, and was trying to lose weight. Now, I weight 184 and am afraid that I have something serious and can't stop the weight loss. I gained the weight because of a mirtazapine craving, and now losing it because of appetite issues with withdrawal from the same thing. The only problem is, the withdrawal anxiety has me fearing just about everything to do with my health. 10 weeks and I am miserable. I am better than a week ago, but that doesn't seem to matter. I weigh every morning. I had been at 184 for 2 weeks, I get on the scales this morning and have only lost 1 more pound, but my subconcious tells me that it is a big deal. I know that this all sounds ridiculous, but I can't help it. I wish well to all who are fighting this battle, there should be medals for all who make it.
  • Posted

Same here David and I went off oct. 16 th.

today I went to urgent care for my gastro problems because I forgot my doctor is out today. No matter he is no help anyhow. He has his hand on the door knob the whole time and can't see the big picture.

the doctor today however was very good I have colitis and now back on antibiotics which as you know screw it up further. The pain I told him was a seven, which wouldn't be bad if it was a seven at the highest but fluctuated during the day. I said its a seven and it staying there every minute. I wakes me, just to remind me! So I have meds. I didn't go into mirt but spoke of my pararthyroid issues which was recent enough. He also took blood just to look at the bigger picture. Then the lady that tried to draw blood, tried to do it while I had my arm hanging in the breeze...I said, we need a stable table so my arm can't move. So we moved to the counter as they didn't have a blood draw table and still no luck. I think she was new on the job! But im getting a tolerance for incompetence and well, no blood today, she came back in and said you can take the script anywhere they draw blood. I might attempt this at home jk, as my funds are being eaten up by meds that don't work and OTC stuff, not to mention 3 hospital visits ER , one admission and a surgery all thanks to mirt.

youre not alone, im still not doing so hot. But I'll be darned if I'll let it beat me. hang  in there and warn people it's a possibility, they could get pretty sick from this stuff. I was 155 and now I went under 114 at one point put on about 6 pounds now but will I lose it back? 

Mirt also changes metabolism so for some it's not about diet at all for the weight gain. Yes it made me hungry in the evening and hour after taking it but during the day I wasn't even hungry because I was so tired. Still gained about 30. Jeez, if I thought I was alone in this Id lock myself up for sure so thanks to this site for letting me not be alone. ❤️

• Posted

We have talked. You are not alone, thanks to folks like you, neither am I. My wife retires at the end of this month. I look forward to not being alone during the day, but I would like to enjoy going out for meals, or for drives in the mountains, but right now I just can't seem to make myself look at those things as a reality. Things are just too unstable. I was basically sick the 8 years that I was on that crap, and neither me or my doc realized that it was side effects of Remeron. Rose, I retired on disability, however I had enough years in to retire anyway. 6 months before retiring, I went on a SCUBA diving trip in the Florida Keys on a shipwreck 120' down. A year later, retired on disability, in bed sick, taking Remeron. Hard to believe. My wife's cousin is an international pilot for American Airlines, and we could be doing some inexpensive traveling, but no chance thanks to mirt. Do I hate it? With every cell in my body. That crap took what would have been an exiting time in my life away from me. Not crying the blues, just explaining what that stuff can do to your life. If anyone reading this is about to go on Remeron, give it some serious thought. It can literally steal your life. David
    • Posted

Hi Rose,

Long time since we last spoke. I'm sorry to hear you're still suffering like this sad but I know you can and will soldier on smile I read all of your comments on here now and again and find it so helpful, I admire your journey David so much and wish you well. I've been stuck at 15 for several weeks due to circumstances and will be attempting to taper on down later on in the year.

Much love and hugs to all who are continuing the struggle smile xx

• Posted

good luck david you are doing remarkably well by commenting and giving us all your advice...i really feel for you and all you are going through wish i had a magic wand to make it all better for you..and totally agree doctors should not be doling out this awful medicine..im on week 2 of going cold turkey although my doctor did give me some different antidepressents...my body dosent know what is going on..no sleep and my whole body shaking all the time trembling as i type...just awful stuff..i really hope this awful journey ends for you really soon...very kind regards and stay strong u have done so well by coming off them lets pray you get there soon
    • Posted

Thank you Lesley. I would appreciate any and all prayers. I know about trembling while typing, I guess the  symptoms have improved, but this dragging out so long is really getting difficult. David
    • Posted

your are more than welcome David we all need some prayers sometimes and you have gone through so much and being very brave so positive thoughts going out to you...whoever thought we could feel like this eh if you asked me this years ago i would have laughed...prayers being said for you and us all..
    • Posted

Thank you once more. Wednesday will start week 12 for me. I still feel weak, nausea at times, fatigued, anxiety, and beginning to get depressed. Prayers are welcome. Go to the Father through Jesus, and ask for help, like you said, for us all. I am coughing and sneezing with seasonal allergies, which just adds to the misery. God Bless You, David
  • Posted

hi. i was on 45 for 7yrs and kept askng the dr to reduce them. i finally got one dr to 30mg after a mthe i use to break it in halve so it would be 15 then i would just have bit of.( i use to take mine of a night). i finally dont take them no more but i now have server pain in my jaw and aches all day which is causing headaches and sinisus pain. the dentist said i am clenching my jaw tight of a night and of a day. i just carnt seem to relax. it is draining me. im not getting sleep now either coz i amwaking up clenching my jaw. iv been in bed allday. wish the pain would go in my jaw and could relax to sad
  • Posted

Hi David

I am new to the site and am basically at my wits end with Mirtazapine withdrawal and seeking some help and advice.  I was put on Mirtazapine after having a nervous breakdown last year....long story!  I started taking it in July 2014 and was on 30 mg to start with, they really helped me sleep as I was having heart palpitations from stress which were keeping me awake at night and the worry that went with them.  I always slept fine before this, although I have always suffered from anxiety.  I tried to come off Mirtazapine in January 2015 after tapering to 15 mg.  But had a week of hell, no sleep bascially and had to go back on 7.5 mg which was fine, I startedt to sleep again.  This is the only withdrawal symptom I have had.  I tapered down by breaking the tablets myself and buying a weighing machine that measured mg.  So tapered over 6 months coming down half a mg every week or two weeks.  I got to 1 mg and then stopped 2 weeks ago.  Sleep was on for a few days, on and off but now I am struggling to sleep at all again.  I just don't get it.  I tapered right down.  Just really scared that I will never sleep normally again.  Fed up feeling crap.  Would really appreciate some advice and does the sleep return eventually.  Thank you.  Susan

• Posted

I've only been on this med for 1 1/2 months and I am experiencing 4 out the 5 most common side effects. I want to stop taking it but don't know how since my doctor canceled 2 appointments since I started them. In fact I have only seen this doc once. Any suggestions until I see her.
    • Posted

Sylvia, I really don't know of any advice other than just try to hold out until you can see your doctor. I would call the office and tell them your situatioon, and may they will give you some direction. Good Luck
    • Posted

Are you better now David? Im at 8 months and still have some issues. I know im getting better but its taking ages.
    • Posted

Hi Sylvia, you were in a similar position to me some time ago. Ie, I am at the 5 week stage and may need to come off mirt. How did you get on in the end please?

Best wishes

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.