Any advice on itching

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed with Polycythaemia Rubra Vera some 4 years ago following a routine blood test.

A routine of Venesections and Asprin have brought my blood down to normal levels. I am now having multivitamin tablets with a trace of Iron, and have not had a Venesection for some months, and am now off Asprin.

Problem is intense itching, which is getting worse. My consultant has tried various Antihistamines, to little effect.

I have none of the other symptoms, so in some ways I am lucky. Does anybody have any

solutions to ease the itching

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

I was diagnosed with PV 2,5 years ago and had many phlebotomies. Currently on low dase Aspirin.

My itching significantly improved after I started using far infrared sauna on regular bases for 30 min minumum ( 2-3 times per week). I still have itching, but it is much less intense and it lasts only few minutes post shower.

Since that time (it is 1yr and 8 mo now) I did't have my blood drawn, as well. My hemoglobin is about 38 now. My hemotologist recommended me to continue what I do.

I hope it will help other people with PV

• Posted

I am just in the process of being diagnosed, my Internist believes I have PV, and itching has been an issue for me for over two years. My doctor gave me hydroxyzine and I take 35mgs before bed. It's the only thing that

has helped.

• Posted

Since Christmas have taken Cimetidine every evening, Multivitamin (with iron) ever morning and low doseasprin every other morning. Itching is now under control with very few bad sessions.
  • Posted

I was diagnosed in the late '90s with PRV and have been on hydra capsules Mon-Fri ever since. I now have 3 monthly blood tests and if my levels are 45 or over I have a bag of blood taken. My itching is very bad. Can last up to 3 hours at times. Changes in temp., getting bitten by mosquitos or having a shower all can trigger off the itch. I use Isocol on cotton balls to cool my skin. If that doesn't work I use vinegar. I take Polaramine antihistamines but they make me very tired. I eat ice to cool my body temp. down. I have tried UV treatment which did help until I got burnt from the UV set to high. In 2002 I had a ninety percent blockage in my left coronary artery and had a stent implant. My cholesterol was 2.4 at the time of my heart attack. The itching is the worst part of this complaint and at times I feel like I at my wits end.
  • Posted

I have had several trusts since July 2015.Routine blood work indicated large red blood cells. I see the Hemotologist Feb 12 to get a diagnoses. She feels my blood disorder is a secondary Polycythaemia. My Doctor was having me give off a unit of blood due to high counts. The Hemotologist has requested this procedure to be stopped until further testing is complete. She has only put me on low dose aspirin. Feb. 12 can't come fast enough. I just want to get a treatment. I can only imagine how high my blood counts are right now. I do get itchy after a shower. My hands, face and feet are very red in colour. Does anyone know what the standard treatment is for this blood disorder? 

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.