depression and iron defenciey

Posted , 6 users are following.

Ive been reading that iron deficency can lead to depression what are ppls thoughts on this. Im now taking iron supplements as well as fluoxtine to see if any improvements will be made

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hi, dsrc. I haven't heard about iron deficiencies being a factor, but if it helps, please let us know. 

How are you doing now. How long have you been up to 40mg?

• Posted

Hi karen im ok but still having crazy thoughts and a bit of anxiety i am alot better than before although i find if i drink alcohol im a complete nervous wreck the next day hope yr ok xx
    • Posted

Yes I'm pretty good today. I think overall I'm still progressing, because I'm having new feelings here and there that I haven't had since I was myself. How long have you been on 40mg?
  • Posted

There's talk of many deficiencies that can play a part in causing depression and anxiety.  I've just bought a book called Cooking to Cure - a Nutritional Approach to Anxiety and Depression by Angela Dailey.  It provides the tools we need to balance our neurochemistry naturally.  Apparently as our diets have become more depleted of essential nutrients in whole foods and replaced with commercially processed food, the incidence of depression and anxiety has skyrocketed.

Looks a really interesting book, and yes Iron is one deficiency mentioned in it too.

K x

• Posted

Awesome!

Can you keep us in the picture please Kate?

I dont think it would help me much.... but who knows - anything is worth a go...

Very interesting!!

Thank you.

• Posted

Sure, will do :-)

There's a huge section which covers vitamins and minerals that are major players in depression and anxiety.  They all work in different ways, including facilitating the transmission of neurotransmitters that make us feel calm and happy, or by blocking them that make us feel anxious or sad.

Worth getting a copy of this smile

K x

• Posted

Hi dsrc,

I was severaly aneamic for a while before becoming depressed and was taking iron supplements.

Since I began Fluoxetine around the same time my iron levels started returning to normal, there is no way of knowing if the anaemia was a factor in my depression or if the supplements have aided my recovery but I am just going into week 8 of Flu now and starting to improve drastically. I'm not quite there yet but I'm definitely on the road to recovery.

My iron level is okay now but I'm going to continue to take 200mg daily as I believe I have trouble absorbing it from food.

I would say that depression is often caused by more than one factor and certainly tackling your anaemia is a good idea but may not be the whole answer.

I hope this helps. Good luck xx

• Posted

Thanks so much kate. I have scheduled an appointment with my gp to get my bloods done to see if my iron is low again. Ill keep u updated what the results r and benefits of the iron supplements x
  • Posted

Vitamin B12deficiency can make you feel depressed
    • Posted

Hi dawn i got my bloods done on monday so ill keep u posted hope ur well xx
  • Posted

Guys the nurse from my doctors surgery is just off the phone the hospital phoned her my iron levels are at 5 doctor is really concerned they have put me on iron tablets then will review in 4 weeks if no improvement i will need transfusion. Is any wonder i felt like sh*t im not allowed to go to gym. I defo think this a direct link to my depression and i would urge u all to get ur iron levels checked xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.