Fluoxetine and IBS

Posted , 3 users are following.

Hi,

I developed severe IBS a year ago, and as a result came off Sertraline as they started to react badly to my stomach. But as my IBS is caused by bad anxiety, depression and stress, figured it would be a good idea to get back on to some meds.

Fluoxetine is the 4th one I have tried, as everything has had a bad reaction to my IBS and caused severe nausea. I have been taking Fluoxetine for a week now, and was fine for the first few days, but on Monday started feeling serverely nauseous and my stomach started rolling about again. I understand this could be partly side effects, and I am determined to stick with them to get the benefits in the long run, but I have been stuck in bed since Monday weak, nauseous and feeling like I will pass out if I get up.

This happened on the other meds and my doc basically kept telling me to carry on and made out as if I was being melodramatic.  

For the last day or so I have been feeling a sensation of sheer panic and I jump out of my skin at the slightest noise. My chest feels really tight and like my heart is going to jump out at any moment.The only way I can describe is like someone making you jump, and that initial panic you feel in your chest and heart is sustained and doesn't ever recede.

It's making sleep very difficult, as I jump awake every 15 mins or so,  and constantly feel so on edge  I am wondering if anyone has felt extreme symptoms like these, and if anyone might be able to enlighten me as to how much is a bad reaction to my IBS, and how much is side effects.  I also have M.E, so I am really struggling with the extra tiredness.

Sorry for such a long message. A big concern for me is that I have a daughter who I was unable to see yesterday because of all this. I have her once a week, and don't want to miss out on seeing her again, but I am worried this will go on for sometime. 

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi Richard,

I'm sorry you are having a tough time. I don't know about IBS but the symptoms you describe are all common in the first few weeks of Fluoxetine. I had them myself, as well as grinding teeth and crying attacks.

I'm sorry to say it is a slow process, but I feel it is worth sticking with if you can manage it. When people start to feel better they tend to stop posting so the success stories are hard to find - but there are many of them.

The symptoms you describe lasted about two weeks for me (though everyone is different). I then 'levelled out' for around four weeks, feeling good in terms of my mood but extremely tired and unable to communicate with anyone. I am on week 8 now and feeling much better. Actually my mood is better than it has been in a year or two and I hadn't realized I'd been suffering that long. I'm still quite tired, but I'm told by twelve weeks your body should have completely adjusted. Obviously with your MS, this may differ. It has all been totally worth it for me if it's any consolation and this forum has helped me massively so I'm trying to do the same by sharing my experience. Be honest with your Doctor and don't be hard on yourself. I'm sure your daughter would rather have quality time with you when you're better than find out you've been suffering by stopping your meds.

Most of us here have been where you are, there is light at the end of the tunnel but it takes a long time to get there.

Good luck xx

• Posted

Hi, Richard. These symptoms are very common. I can relate to the feelings of panic and pounding and irregular heart palpitations that you decribe.  When you take your med. be sure to eat something fairly substantial so it doesn't upset your stomach as much. One thing that is very healing to the stomach and gut is aloe vera juice. You can get it at any health food store and also at walmart. Just drink some several times a day and it should help alot.  Please keep us informed on how you are getting along. It is very healing to talk to others who have been there, because you realise that you are not alone, which helps to get you through this. 
  • Posted

Hi Richard

i had the same horrible symptoms plus a few more like feeling I couldn't swallow, these lasted about 6 weeks then gradually week by week they all went away & at 12 weeks the awful tiredness & lethargy went.  It's now almost 5 months now & I feel great - better than before. I'm so chilled out & relaxed plus I sleep really well & have loads of energy.  I found drinking ginger really helped with the naseau

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.