urgent advice/help needed please

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi i am looking for some help and advice.

Personally i think doctors are to quick to say oh you have IBS i find it very annoying.

I have endrometriosis and have it for nearly 10 years i had my gall bladder removed april 2014 since then i havent been right and have regular flare ups of pain in the top on my stomach and the right side i also suffer with nausea vomiting trouble sleeping unexplained weight gain even though i only eat 1 small meal a day. I recently had 2 episodes where i began sweating really bad then went very dizzy and my legs give way. When i open my bowels they are not loose and i open my bowels regularly. On occassion i do have blood in my stools sorry for being graphic. Please can anyone tell me if the following symptoms i have listed above describe IBS ? Or is it the case my doctor is fobbing me off saying it is IBS instead of carrying out proper investigations. Thank you in advance

1 like, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

Hey coral

Since you had your gallbladder out, could it be your diet that's contributing to your symptoms (I.e. Have you tried to limit your fat intake ?)

Also it would be worth getting either an endoscopy or colonscopy since there occasions of blood in your stool. This might be because of an ulcer in you duodenum (which may also cause upper right abdominal pain) or some sort of inflammation in your colon.

Remember that Ibs diagnosis is a result of elimination process. So unless everything has been ruled out, one cannot come to that conclusion.

• Posted

Hi thank you for your reply. Yes since having my gall bladder removed i have had to restrict my diet i drink water everyday and really only eat a salad a day no dressing.

This is what i thought how can they its just ibs when they havent even tried to rule other things out instead just keep giving me various medications

• Posted

what a tough tough go you have Coral, ..read your profile...would seem you have "potentially" good sources of info where you work?? perhaps not so helpful? sending you a link via pm ..not permitted here. I think its possible your being  fobbed off. .your diet savy,know quite a lot about symptoms and probable cause/s.....this right side pain post gallbladder surgery seems to be evident in many similar  patients.....before all other tests...my thinking...Sweating,  vomiting, nausea etc...would lead me to consider a bile stone...an easy ultrasound test should be done,...I am only familiar with a few patients "first hand" that have had similar problems after surgery, and only one with a stone lodged in  a bile duct...Identical symptoms without dizzy..pain would sometimes be mild…and then severe…duration varied.Othe patients symptoms gradually went away

over a 6 month period, most thinking it was "exercise" that helped remedy.(a few had post surgery ultrasounds taken as a precaution).

Please keep in mind these are really only a few, not a large group study..so my observations are subjective at best. btw...because of the "pain" the patient with the bile stone  paid out of her own pocket for the study...as she was not "offered" an ultrasound...'she was reimbursed...cannot recall if it was the surgeon, GP, or insurance...and don't know if full or partial..perhaps something you might consider if your denied ?  To me would be worthwhile regardless...but that's just me    a union of one....  and want you to get well quick...the stone being most at risk....Ann

• Posted

I have changed my diet only eat one meal a deal which is usually just salad yet i am putting weight on. Im drinking water everyday. I stopped drinking coffee or have a cup of tea. Cut out high fat content foods. Im sick of having these flare ups and got to the point where i think theres no point in going to the doctors. In the last 12 months i have been admitted to hospital 11 times 3 by ambulance. All the doctors and surgeons say different things it is so confusing im currently waiting on an appointment for repeat MRI scan to look at the bile duct
  • Posted

Hi Coral2786,

I know from first hand experience it can be pretty scary when you're ill and don't know what's wrong with you, and that in itself can cause symptoms or make existing symptoms worse.  I'm not a doctor but if I were in your position I'd list on paper all of my symptoms, (make a copy which the doctor can keep), and go back to see your doctor or another at your surgery.  Ask them to go through the list with you to explain what is caused by normal gall bladder post op symptoms, endometriosis, and IBS and how they can be treated.  Speciifcally ask about the blood in your stool and the weight gain as these could be easily treatable and would alleviate some of your stress and worry.

The two episodes of sweating, dizzyness and your legs giving way could be something as straight forward as an anxiety attack from all the worry, but you need to talk it through with your doctor.  Make an appointment today and get checked out.

Take care coral2786 x

• Posted

Thank you for your reply. In the last 12 months i have been admitted to hospital 11 times all the doctors and surgeons say something different it is so confusing. I am waiting for a repeat MRI scan to check the bile duct to see if there are any stones causing blockages or little leaks. I have got to the point where i think what is the point in going to the doctors its a waste of time. Im just sick to death of these flare ups and im concerned what all this medication is going to do to my liver or kidneys
  • Posted

Hi coral2786,

Sounds like you're having a terrible time of it and I appreciate that you're frustrated by doctors saying conflicitng things and not having all of the answers, but blood in your stools is not a normal symptom of IBS.  If you see the doctor for nothing else at least ask about that.  It could be something minor and easy to fix or it could be the key to your problems, but do get checked out.

• Posted

I went to the doctors a couple of months ago when the blood appeared explained it and he just said sometimes this can happen. And it states on my g.p. records theres a family history of bowel cancer. Some of them are a waste of time. Due to the pressures they havent got the time anymore to sit and listen and this is where mistakes are being made
  • Posted

When the drs dont know what it is they always say its IBS what they should be doing is making further investigations and tests for other things
    • Posted

Yeah i totally agree its unfair. I have heard loads of people say their doctor was disinterested and palmed them off saying ibs its not fair.
  • Posted

Coral find another doctor this is your life and your health get another opinion dont let them fob you off you deserve better than that insist on further tests to find out
    • Posted

I know you are right. Its so unfair when you have a genuine problem yet you feel like your hitting your head against a brick wall. I am going to ask for another opinion i cant carry on like this anymore

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.