Orilstat eating out

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi I am due to start orlistat and I due to go out for dinner with friends next weekend. I am worried about having sideeffects whilst out. Could I avoid this by not taking me meds that day? would I still have side effects from taking orlistat the days prior?

Your help and advice is appreciated.

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hi Jenny I think everyone is different. The first time I ate out I took my tablets as usual as chose as healthy as I could (which isn't always possible) at that point I hadn't had any side effects before but ended up running to the toilet! Since then the only thing I have done different is not taken a tablet with the bad meal I'm having and luckily I've been ok I've heard mixed things with people saying just stop for that meal and other people saying it's still in your system unfortunately I think you just have to find out how your body reacts.... Which isn't a great experiment to try when your going out!!!!
  • Posted

Hi, I don't think the tablets effect you that quickly that you would be running to the toilet at the restaurant. I think they take a good few hours and of course that varies person to person - but it takes approx 4 hours for food to travel from your stomach to your intestines and so provided you were really good during the days running up to the meal, I think you will be fine.

From my own experience, if I eat a fatty meal it's not until the next day that I have any side effects and if I have only eaten one fatty meal the side affects are not bad - just a bit looser! However, if I have had a few days of eating a little bit more fat than recommended I can have a couple of days of "looseness". So far I haven't been caught out like some people have as I try to stick to very low fat all the time.

On Saturday I went for a 35 mile bike ride and we ate a lovely dinner at a pub at our final destination and I had the works - cheeseburger with bacon, fries, and then passion fruit cheesecake for pudding. I was fine yesterday but as I write now I can hear all sorts of funny noises coming from my intestines so I'm guessing something is going to happen - needless to say, I am not going out the house this afternoon! Hope that gives you a good idea, but we are all different and it's a case of trial and error to find out your limits so to speak.

So enjoy your meal, take your tablet after the meal but within an hour of finishing - and you should be just fine until the next day!

Bye for now.

• Posted

Hi Jenny - it's one meal!  Eat sensibly but if you know there's going to be more than the recommended of fat in the meal, don't have your Orlistat.  One meal is not going to make much difference - your next meal will be low fat.  We have to live and part of that is a social life.  Don't worry, don't have your tablet, eat sensibly and get back on the tablets the next meal.  You'll be fine - promise!
  • Posted

thanks for the help and advice , I decided to commence them after the weekend with friends.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.