'Should we take slimming pills?'

Posted , 4 users are following.

There's a very interesting short article on this site with the above title.  Reading it may help some newer users (and even some of us who've been using the pils for a while) understand what our little blue friends can and can't do for us. 

I've posted an extact below which is very informative:

Orlistat

A medicine called orlistat is available on prescription. You can buy the same drug from your pharmacist, where it's sold as alli®. This medicine acts by reducing the amount of fat your body absorbs from your food (by just under a third). Overall, it has a good safety profile - the obvious side effect is that if you eat a very fatty meal and it isn't all absorbed from your bowel, the rest is going to go straight through you.

Orlistat certainly isn't an alternative to reducing the calories you eat and increasing the calories you burn with exercise. Some, but not all, people lose 10% or more of their body weight in six months while taking it. But you won't lose weight - and you certainly won't keep the weight off - if you just 'take the tablets'.

2 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

HiI'm new to all this.im on my 3rd week just with orlistat I think I've iy lost maybe 2lb (not as much as I thought I should loose ) I'm currently 14st 1lb only 5'2' as I've been over weight for more years than I care to remember my personal goal is to be 10st 6lbs....any help or advise welcome....thankyou.x
    • Posted

Hi Tess

Read through some of the older posts on here. There are many asking the same questions and there are a lot of good replies. I have copied a reply below that I made earlier this week to someone in much the same boat as you. If you want to pm me a sample days food and drink I can take a look and maybe offer some suggestions?

"You can have up to 15g fat per meal but individual components must not contain more than 5g fat/per 100g. Make sure you are watching the calories too. The myfitnesspal app is a big help for me to keep track of what I'm eating and I try to stick to 1200 calories a day.

Everyone loses at a different rate. Your BMR (the rate at which your body burns fat) and amount of weight you have to lose will play a big part in this along with many other factors. There will probably be weeks when you won't lose any weight but you may lose inches. Whatever happens keep going. At one point I only lost 1Kg in four weeks. I was gutted and in tears but in the next 4 I lost a lot more. The longer you keep going the less your overall average per week will be. All the experts agree that a loss of 1-2 lbs a week is the ideal rate. If you lose more than that (over a prolonged period of time) the chances of keeping it off lessen."

• Posted

Thankyou that was very helpful....as for my food intake on most days I have 1 maybe weetabix with berries for breakfast....lunch wholemeal sandwich of boiled egg and salad...dinner weight watchers meal with veg ..on a bad day....cheese cake for pud ..but not often......

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.