Levels normal so why do I feel like this?

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi everybody I was diagnosed with graves disease back in June 2014 I was put on carbimazole and my levels become stable fairly quickly and dose was reduced to 5mg after a few months. I'm still currently on 5mg. The thing is even though my levels and TSH levels are all normal some days I feel extremely tired, emotional and sometime really adgitated I get hot flushes also. I just don't understand why I feel like this even though levels are normal? It's really started to get me down anyone else had this experience.

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

How old are you? And are you perimenopausal or menopausal?  Also during the time you were hyperthyroid, you lost a lot of vitamins, minerals and amino acids from your muscles.  You should ask  your doctor to check for your carnitine levels, magnesium and vitamin D levels at least and if deficient, add these supplements.
    • Posted

Hiya Linda I was 26 in June my periods have gone heavier and I've been joked to my Mum that I feel like I'm going through the menopause I never used to get tender breasts before a period but now they become very tender for at least 3 weeks prior to period they actually are that sore feels like after just having a baby.
    • Posted

Certainly sounds like a hormonal imbalance.  I can remember having that after I had surger to remove a fibroid tumour.  I would get your adrenal levels checked, i.e. cortisol etc.
    • Posted

I was also thinking that did you ever get the feeling of anger and frustration I feel like a bad crank sometimes it's not nice at all.
    • Posted

No I don't get that as my doctor put me on

Antidepressant for my menopause to help with the hot flushes, but it doesn't always stop them especially in very hot summers

• Posted

Hi there biggrin

My levels have also been normal for over a year however I still feel the same. Did a stool sample at the doctors and had an abnormal result, had a colonoscopy and was diagnosed with IBS. I now take mebeverine however I still feel the same and suffer from painful periods. Had a CT scan done and that came back normal, so I'm now going for a ultrasound to check for endomitriosis. Hoping that this is not the case and it is all diet based, as I have made a couple of drastic changes to it and it has helped and this month my pain management for my period has been a lot better! Your problems may not be thyroid related xxx

• Posted

I am going to have to go doctors for checks on other things I've got a thyroid appointment coming up and get my bloods taking beforehand so will see how my levels come back and go from there .
    • Posted

Make sure they do every test they can, so you can compare all your results also, let us know how you get on biggrin makes me feel much better reading this discussion and realising I'm not alone feeling how I feel xxx
  • Posted

Hi Jennifer

I had this happen to me well over 16 months ago

I'm not on any meds at the moment but still get extremely tired at times and bad hot flushes but I put them down to being menopausel . It's awful at times and to stop the tiredness I have to drink coffee or an energy drink to get though it when I'm at work.

• Posted

Hi Jennifer,

I was diagnosed just a few months before you were but have had no treatment (I tried an anti-thyroid but got every side effect possible so my doctor quickly took me off) and I've been told that my levels are all of a sudden appearing more normal but I've physically been feeling awful. My doctor cannot explain why that might be, she said I must just be "sensitive". Being a 23 year old with hot flashes, extreme muscle weakness, headaches and constant fatigue is incredbily defeating but someone online had said something that made me think.. they said that autoimmune diseases have many different effects on the body as it is, one big one for Graves happens to be on the thyroid but it is not specifically a thyroid disease so symptoms aren't always linked to the gland but instead the disease as a whole. I don't know if this is a legitimate statement or not, I feel like I still don't understand the disease and the more I read the more confused I get. I wish I could help but find comfort in the fact that there are people out there who feel your pain!

• Posted

Hi Jess sorry your going through this is really is frustrating I'm 26 and I honestly feel some days a lot older than I am I also get very breathless it is hard going I get dizziness bad aswell. I have two little boys who are 8 and 2 don't get the wrong they are not deprived of attention but I wish I could enjoy them alot more with out feeling this way exhausted all the time that's what gets to me most its Like its robbing my enjoyment in been a Mum yes I do enjoy it of course I do but I know if I didn't feel this way I could enjoy it a whole lot more.
    • Posted

The extreme muscle weakness is common in hyperthyroid patients.  Hyperthyroid patients lose carnitine (an amino acid), vitamins and minerals from their muscles when they are running hyperthyroid and this needs to be replaced.  Get your doc to test your Free and Total carnitine levels, vitamin D levels and magnesium levels and replace these if deficient.  There was a research study done by an Endocrinologist in Italy that showed that hyperthyroid patients benefit from taking 3,000 to 4,000 mg of L-carnitine daily so this might help you.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.