Recovery from inguinal hernia repair

Posted , 3 users are following.

Two weeks ago I had a left inguinal hernia repair (not key hole).  Recovery is going well but it is painful.  When will it settle down?

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Hi Colin I had an incisional hernia repair 11 months ago, it takes sometime to settle down or at least it did for me. I tried taking soluble paracetamol but this just upset my stomache, so I did not take pain killers at first, however I have since discovered that ordinary paracetamol does the job. 

so's you know this was my 5th abdominal surgery, my abdomen is still fairly numb and I would definitely not want to bump into anything.  However, I am overall pleased with the result and the hernia is gone.  Hernia surgery, in my view, is much more demanding on us than stated by the medical people.  Take care and hope you will start to feel a bit better soon

• Posted

Thank you very much Shirley.  I agree that the professionals play down the real impact of the op which has left me somewhat jiggered.  There's periodic deep aching and it feels like a few holly leaves have been sewn into me and the whole area thrashed with nettles, and it all gets worse as the day goes on.  I avoid painkillers and shouldn't complain but I think it's important to inform others what it's really like.  Very kind of you to reply.
  • Posted

Hi Colin... I had Open Surgery on 8th May.. so approx 11 weeks post op... it took a good while for it to settle down... and as Shirley has mentioned.. plain old pain killers seem to do the business. Hernia repair surgery is very underestimated and the recovery period is slow. I am still numb in my groin area and still get aching pain in my surgical area if I do too much - but I'm 100% better than I was when I had the very painful hernia. The recovery period can be up to 12 months for full recovery so don't worry if you get the odd twinge or ache. I only took 2 weeks off work but in hindsight I should of took longer. Good luck and if you have any questions just ask.
    • Posted

That's really helpful.  Thank you.  I realise now that it's going to take longer than I expected.... the things they don't tell you!  The advice about "no heavy lifting" is very vague.  Not to mention the nettle stinging scrotum etc.  All said, I know now it will slowly get better.
  • Posted

Continue to look after yourself Colin and just to add good nutrition, and resting when you need to is the key to a good recovery, and I know it is hard but being as positive as you can whenever you can is good medicine.  I was so ill that could not always be postive but dont beat yourself up about it.  I am 69 and teach ballet and am now back working my full schedule and feeling much more positive about life, even thought about applying for a new job at a further education college. In the early days I did consider going to Flamborough head, which is near to where I live and jumping of the very high cliffs, fortunately it took me ages to get back driving so couldn't do it.  There is hope. 
    • Posted

Thanks again Shirley!  Frustration runs high and I'm very glad you didn't jump, otherwise you wouldn't have been able to share your positive message with me when I need it most.
  • Posted

Oh bless you Colin,  There is hope at the end of the tunnel, but in the meantime try doing something you really enjoy when you can.  I love reading and watching silly films on the telly, i also wrote a weekly journal about my recovery, it was very detailed including diagrams of  where the pain was and other unpleasant symptoms and gradually over time I could see how I had improved, and now I can say I am nearly there.  Take care

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.