IBS sufferer

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi I have had IBS most of my life and I find that eating prunes and drinking prune juice and water helps. Does anyone have any other helpful tips?

0 likes, 13 replies

13 Replies

• Posted

Well thats good I would presume because your IBS constipate you, it's a very broad disorder different things work for different people you may find one day that your valve condition has changed and that gives you diarrhea I would think you would only use that if you were constipated that may be what you mean. Also if that's all you have to do you may have a mild case of IBS or you have never had a major flare up yet. Over the past two years I've had about 5 flare ups as I approach 50 years old I guess so I'm learning a lot right now also.
  • Posted

I find prune juice and other types of juice very helpful.  Oranges and other stoned fruit are also very good.  Luckily, I have no food intolerances so I can eat what I like.  I have had flare ups when the pain gets worse than usual and I find Buscopan and or pain killers work to ease discomfort.
    • Posted

That's great so far but if you read further you'll find that you should not do any citric acid at all so orange is orange juice in things like that I've been told to stay away from and some other things and remember even though you think you're doing fine on certain foods it can take up to four days later before you get a reaction to one so you really need to think about what you ate over the past 4 days
    • Posted

Yes I used to suffer from the runs too lol but now its just chronic constipation. I had cramps so bad one time from being so bound up that I thought I was in labor ahahaah...It can be painful to say the least. I think I will just stick to prune juice as it does the trick lol  
    • Posted

My doctor told me to ease off oranges but when I cut them out my nausea and cramps got 50% worse and I completely bunged up.  When I started eating one a day again, my symptoms got better.
    • Posted

I totally understand some things work for others that don't work for you and vice versa you know your body best
  • Posted

I'm also mostly IBS-C and I have found that carrots (like eating raw baby carrots, I don't care much for cooked) and coffee are what help most.  At times, it turns to D, so I back off of fruit/vegetables a bit or totally and it seems to go away after a day, maybe two.

Almost all of my carbs are gluten-free these days but I haven't noticed a change either way from that (my son has Coeliac so we keep it out of the meals at home, unless my husband and I are eating or snacking late - I don't eat out very often lately)  I have some lactose intolerance so I use lactaid (lactase) with most dairy. 

Thanks for starting this thread - interesting to see what helps others!

• Posted

I started with IBS-A  but now I'm back to IBS-C.  Plenty of fruit and vegetables, gentle exercise and a four month beach holiday are working wonders!
    • Posted

I have suffered and put up with IBS but now I have developed a fissure , the IBS and Fissure dont really go together because I go regulary to the loo and poo and this can be about 3 to 4 times a day this does not give my fissure a chance to heal, now on some days wow I feel great then I have bad days and the pain I try to let the stools or sometimes is not stools its like a pile of poo but then again another day, I have blood in my poo then another day I dont have any blood, I went on holiday in april this year and was really worried about my problem and what the food was going to be like, so I packed my husks and to my joy I did not have any painful poos no blood my rear end was not soar the food agreed with me so the carrots must of done the job because the country I went to they had  lots of carrots on the menu, the other food was good The meals were great so somethings sem to suit 
    • Posted

Passing blood is not usual with IBS.  Is the fissure causing this?
  • Posted

Hi

I just mentioned that also on my other pists. Just started it. It helps but I find that bowel movements are too watery. Do you?

Vivian

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.