Coffee/Caffeine -- Good or Bad for BPH? Interested in Your Personal Experience.

Posted , 7 users are following.

Most articles I read on BPH make coffee/caffeine out to be a villian.

Personally, I've found just the opposite. On the days I drink coffee, I find that I have a larger volume per void and a better flow rate. Also, less trips to the toilet at night.

My problem, like many here, is a flaccid (stretched) bladder due to too much urinary retention over time.

My thinking is that the caffeine stimulates the detrusor muscles, and therefore helps push the urine out, or perhaps it's just the diuretic effect of caffeine, or perhaps a combination. Of course, if your problem is an overactive bladder, I could see how coffee and caffeine could make the situation worse.

So how does coffee/caffeine effect your bph?  I'm looking for personal observations, not studies, articles or what your doctor told you, unless it's something other than the usual "don't drink coffee". 

Jim

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

have you forwartded your hypothesis to your uro/dr for any opinion?

also why not conduct your own experiemnt - one week with followed by one without?

• Posted

I have gone several days with coffee, then several days without, then several days with. What I notice is the effect is pretty immediate with me at least. Just looking for other people's personal observations.

Jim

• Posted

When I've gone off caffeine for a week or so, it has not had any beneficial effect on my prostate symptoms.
  • Posted

It's been 9 months since I posted my observations on how caffeine effects my bph symptons. My conclusion then was that the caffeine may have stimulated my detrusor muscles, and that plus its diuretic effect, may have helped my urine retention issues. 

Today, my flaccid bladder has been rehabilitated to the point where most of the time I can empty it fairly well without having to resort to self catherization. But there are still times, often after periods of inactivity or at night, when I am unable to naturally void and have to self cath. What I have found is that if I eliminate coffee the problem, while not completely resolved, is better.

Don't think two observations have to be mutually exclusive,as perhaps the caffeine helped in one department and hurt in another. 

Jim

• Posted

jimjames, the reason you're peeing more is because caffeine downregulates ADH (a.k.a. Antidiuretic Hormone, a.k.a. Vasopressin).  It's the hormone that STOPS you from peeing.  If you shut it off (via caffeine or alcohol), you'll pee more.

I've heard that caffeine should be eliminated with guys who have BPH.  The more sinister culprit may be the cream.  Dairy is supposedly verboten according to the experts.  If ever there was a truism in medicine, it's this one:  "Everyone reacts differently."  You asked for a "personal observation."  On the consecutive days  when I give up caffeine, I notice the benefits, but there is definitely a lag effect.  In other words, it may take three or four days of caffeine denial before I actually notice the benefits.  Hope this helps.

• Posted

Yes, we are all different and that is why experimenting within reason is so important. It also depends on what the objectives are and the trade offs. If nocturnia is the issue -- the topic of the new thread --  then experimenting with diuretics like Caffeine make sense. On the other hand, it might not be the best for other prostate issues. 

BTW a little confused on your personal observation. Is coffee helping or not, and with what issues?

Jim

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.