Is fluoxetine slow release for me?

Posted , 2 users are following.

My dr prescribed me this this evening for anxiety, I feel sick all the time and often at night I can't sleep...she prescribed me the 20mg and asked me to take one every 3 days to begin, and gradually build up, as it's a slow release one.

Has anyone experienced any horrible side effects from this? I am honestly so scared to take it, I have emetophobia (vomit phobia) and OCD, and I don't mind if it takes a while to work, I just don't want to feel sick or be sick!sad

1 like, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hi Ashleigh 😀 I also have emetophobia. I've been taking fluoxetine for nearly a year now and like yourself I was worried that it would make me sick. I know everyone's side affects will be different but I haven't had any major side affects. The only thing I find is maybe an hour after having my pill I can't stop yawning. 😊 I would give them a try, try and keep yourself busy once you've taken it so that your not thinking about it too much. 😀
    • Posted

Thanks so much! I was reading all these horror stories of people feeling sick and whatnot, and my friend takes something similar (sertraline?) and she just said she could sleep for 3 days solid the first 3 days and after that she was finesmile so I'm hoping the reason she asked me to only take one every 3 days to begin was to maybe lessen side effects? To gradually introduce it?:L not sure but I'm hoping so..:L
    • Posted

Yeah I was petty shocked when I saw all the side effects that people were talking about on here. The first day I took mine I was at work because I knew if I was at home I would think about it too much and convince myself that I was going to be sick. I meant to ask, is it just 20mg? 😊
    • Posted

Yep 20mg one every 3 dayssmile so nervous for trying it but hopefully it'll helpsmile
    • Posted

Yeah you should be fine 😊 keep me updated on how you go 😊

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.