Persistent Right side pain and no explanation

Posted , 8 users are following.

I'm a 31 year old male. For almost three years now, I have been experiencing a mysterious right side pain, directly under my ribs.  I have been to the doctor countless time and had what feels like every test under the sun. Multiple abdominal ultrasounds, chest CT scan and xrays, abdominal CT scan with contrast, Echocardiogram, EKGs, Endoscopy, and spinal MRI. All bloodwork comes back normal, except for  slightly elevated bilirubin (had this all my life). Lately I have what feels like a CONSTANT rumbling/gurgling in that area.

I am at my whit’s end- nobody can seem to explain what it is. I am told it’s anxiety or IBS, but it’s impossible to believe that either of those can possibly cause this level of misery. Anxiety has caused other symptoms in my past but nothing like this.  Has anyone dealt with anything like this?

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

This sounds like IBS.  Anxiety can trigger it.  I went to the doctor with stomach pain that went through to my back, nausea, rib pain, constipation and loose stools.  I had loads of tests and everything was clear.  I saw eight doctors over a three and a half month period and one diagnosed IBS.  I had a bad reaction to chiropractory last year giving me exhaustion and joint pain.  I had blood test to find out why and it left me in constant pain and black and blue.  I developed costochondritis (rib cage pain) in October and three months after the December blood test I got IBS.  So I strongly suspect that these traumas caused it.
  • Posted

I have been with my boyfriend for three years now and he has been having the exact same symptoms for about 10 years now. I joined these discussions to look for answers. He has had numerous test done, all which came back normal. They diagnosis him with Abdomial Cutaneous Nerve Entrapment Syndrome, but he has seen many doctors and they either agree or disagree with the diagnoisis. He has been hospitalized many times because the pain will get so severe he starts to vomit, sweat, and skin becomes very pale. If you happen to receive any additional information about you condition or can share ways you've dealt with the pain I would greatly appreciate it. My boyfriend has a very physical job and he goes thru torture on a daily basis. We are searching for answers.
  • Posted

Trigger points in the abdominal muscles can cause this type of pain
  • Posted

I find when I have had a high fat meal my gall bladder inflames and it feels like a huge lump. Painful and pressure are my symptoms in that area. Any of these symptoms?Below are common symptoms of gallbladder conditions:

Severe abdominal pain

Pain that may extend beneath the right shoulder blade or to the back

Pain that worsens after eating a meal, particularly fatty or greasy foods

Pain that feels dull, sharp, or crampy

Pain that increases when you breathe in deeply

Chest pain

Heartburn, indigestion, and excessive gas

A feeling of fullness in the abdomen

Vomiting, nausea, fever

Shaking with chills

Tenderness in the abdomen, particularly the right upper quadrant

Jaundice (yellowing of the skin and eyes)

Stools of an unusual color (often lighter, like clay)

• Posted

I have the same pain its awful had it for a year now! Recently had my gallbladder removed but the pain has gotten worse all in my right side & round my back :-(

• Posted

I have the same issues. I've had 3 colonoscopies in the past year. Blood work for my organs that are all normal. All types of ex-rays too. The difference for my situation from everyone is that pain shifts from right side to the left and majority of pain stays on the left side. I have been diagnosed with "a form of" IBS. Because I don't have the diarrhea portion as symptomatic of IBS. I have the constant pain that resonates from the lower left side under my ribs to my back. All they can do is prescribe me pain pills for testing shows no physical evidence of damage. I am miserable all day long and I cannot take the meds during the day because they make me sleepy. Nausea is a constant too. Can anyone recommend anything?

• Posted

Hi i wondered if you ever got to the bottom of your problem ? Im having similar symptoms at the moment , right uper abdomen pain , more of a discomfort than an agonising pain , sometimes it feels like when i bend down theres something there ? Ive had blood tests done for everything and all normal , ive had x rays and utrasounds , all they found was sludge in the gallbladder , the doctor didnt seem like this could be the cause of the discomfort but ive read elswhere that it can cause these symptoms ?
  • Posted

No official diagnosis yet. I am being treated for IBS too. I had e-coli in my small intestine but they told me it's gone. What's interesting to note is when they gave me Xifaxan to treat the IBS the pain in my side felt better. I did test my theory again. Whenever I felt extreme pain I took a Xifaxan pill and the pain subsided. I am thinking that our pain may be intestinal or viral related. I've had several colonoscopies with no real abnormalities so until the medical field of science discovers something more concrete we just have to document our pain in relation to how we eat or drink or live.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.