Mirtazapine still ruining my life..

Posted , 5 users are following.

Sorry for another post.. I just can't handle this feeling.. My doctor pretty much acted horrificily shocked at my weight gain (double in weight in less than a year) but will not help me get off mirtazapine. I'm sat here in tears. I can't win ! I have episodes so vile and destructive and they're getting worse because I'm disgusted by my vile appearance.. I can't win ? What can I do ? The one person who should be able to help me is ignoring my please..

I'm heartbroken. Either I sleep and keep getting fat which equals being exhausted everytime I leave my house and never fitting into my clothes and being so ashamed of myself my depression starts up again OR I return to sleepless nights (meaning paranoia and unusual sleeping patterns grumpiness) but be slim again and comfortable going out in my own skin..

I'm so lost.. I never knew how badly this drug could affect someone.. My entire life has vanished because I hate myself and I get so sweaty and out of breath everytime I walk up the stairs.. I have tried to just NOT eat but it makes me so miserable the hunger.. I can't cope. I'm so bloody disgusted by myself

Ive got no way out, ive gotten into this awful hole and ive got no way to get out im stuck i hate what ive become i dont know what to do

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Hi I feel exactly the same feel fat exhausted lethargic and massively depressed crying a lot I too am on mirtazipine and feel worse now than I have for very long time this week I went to my doctor in no uncertain terms I am coming off mirtazipine ! Luckily he agreed because of the mental state I was in and big weight gain I had already started to lower my mirtazipine from 45mg a week then 30mg and now on 22 and a half I'm already losing weight and feel determined .

If your doctor will not help you I would insist on seeing another doctor they have a duty of care to you don't settle for just putting up with this

All the best to you 💐

• Posted

I have not read your previous posts, but I gather you are taking mirtazapine for depression and insomnia. 

Have you tried SSRI antidepressants?  You are unlikely to put weight on with those - but they do often cause insomnia.   I take an SSRI for anxiety plus a LOW dose of mirt for the insomnia.  That works for me and might for you.  I do get hungry in the evening, but I can control the eating.

Your doctor should treat ALL your ailments.  Doubling weight in a year is an ailment (unless you were very underweight before).  

Thinking you have no way out causes depression.  You DO have a way out!

Tell the doctor you want ALL relevant ailments treated, and if he/she will not do that, get another doctor.        

• Posted

Am I reading this right? Are you double the weight you were before starting on mirtazapine in under a year? Wow! I can't believe your doctor won't help you. It's ridiculous. I am very happy on mirtazapine and have managed to lose the weight I gained by strict diet and exercise, but I only gained 21 pounds, not doubled my weight. That is so bad for your health and so you MUST come off this drug. If your GP won't help then you need to demand a second opinion. You need to taper off very slowly. You could do it without your GP's help, but it would be best if they were part of it. You need to buy a pill cutter and a scale which weighs very minute amounts. Alternatively, if you can get your GP on board, ask for the liquid version of mirtazapine because this makes it easier to taper down. Good luck!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.