Mirtazapine 30mg rapid weight gain & want to get off them

Posted , 4 users are following.

I suffer from Anxiety, Depression & Insomnia. I have tried a variety of medications & am now on a combination of Mirtazapine 30mg & Limotrogine 50mg. I only went on Mirtazapine as other medications were not helping me sleep. Well big mistake I have put on 6kg in just under 4 weeks. On a positive note it has helped with my sleep which is great but the weight gain, daily headaches (already a migraine sufferer but this is just constant) & dizziness are my worst nightmare. I am now so miserable & anxious because of the weight gain in particular as I managed to lose 24kg just over 5 years ago & have maintained the loss up until just on 4 weeks ago. None of my other tablets have ever done this before. I am off to see my GP on Monday to find out how I come off this tablet & start losing the weight I put on. Will I lose the weight I put on ?? How soon will I start to see the weight come off ? Is there an alternative to the Mirtazapine I can have that will help my sleep ? I have had Temazepam & Clonazepam before they were good for sleep but just not as good as the Mirtazapine. I hate feeling fat again & my clothes being to tight.  I have tried Valdoxan but was not a success with the sleep & side effects too. I feel blah!! Please someone give me good news smile

0 likes, 15 replies

15 Replies

• Posted

I forgot to mention that the uncontrollable hunger has been awful when I have tried to use my willpower to not eat I get terrible stomach cramps so am forced to have something to get rid of the pain. Hence the terrible weight gain sad
  • Posted

You acknowledge that mirt is great for sleep.  The problem is its side effects at 30mg.

Like many people on this forum it is "all or nothing".  May I suggest tapering VERY slowly down but not necessarily to nothing.  You might find that the hunger and other side effects diminish whilst the sedation continues.

You will lose weight as soon as you manage to eat less.  There are lots of sleeping tablets out there but many are only for short term use.

• Posted

Thanks so much for replying. I have seen a sleep & respiratory physician before who has advised me the sleeping tablets are ok to take on a regular basis. I was however only taking them when I really couldn't fall asleep as I was aware what my GP had said about being addictive. 

IF I reduced to say 15mg of Mirtazapine is it likely to reduce the level of hunger I am experiencing & therefore weight would start to decrease? 

• Posted

You have asked the 64 thousand dollar question.  I researched it before I started mirt.  I found that experts disagree.  My guess is that for some yes; for others no.   But you are in an excellent position to find out! 

You wanted to come off mirt.  To do that you should taper down VERY slowly.   So at some point you will be on a low dose (15 or 7.5mg).  If you find that the hunger is manageable and you can still sleep okay, stop tapering.  

• Posted

Thanks oldboy will see how I get on tomorrow & start slowly coming off them. Fingers crossed the weight starts to come off soon.
  • Posted

Hey, I'm in the exact same situation as you. I've gone from under 11 stone pre mirt to 12 stone +. I feel miserable as I don't have the motivation to exercise that I did before. I've tried to come off it but I can't sleep... I was up until about 4am last night, tossing and turning, not wanting to eat but eventually gave in. You're not alone in this bloomin' dilemma xxx
    • Posted

Sorry to hear your experiencing the same problems. I cannot wait to see my GP on Monday to find out how to come off it & find something new. Wishing you all the best smile
    • Posted

I'm thinking perhaps Venlafaxine for myself when I next see my gp. Best of luck for Monday smile
    • Posted

Thanks Laura38473 really hoping for a positive outcome & change of medication on Monday. Never heard of the one you mention is it new ?? What exactly is it ? Please smile
    • Posted

I know my dads been on it for a while and has found it helpful. My only reservations are that although he does suffer from anxiety his main issues are depression based. So unsure if it would be suitable to target anxiety as effectively as other meds may do. But that's something I'll have to discuss with my gp.

But like you, I'm unhappy with mirt and need something that will suit me better, so I'm willing to try at this stage!

• Posted

There has to be something better doesn't there than Mirtazapine! When I have gone online since using & seen all the terrible issues it causes & the withdrawal problems. I must come off it I cannot continue putting my weight back on I vowed to myself when I lost the 24kgs 5 yrs ago I would never be there again so this is so distressing to see the weight going on in such a short period of time.  I have another medication I take for depression so if I can find something to compliment it for my anxiety & insomnia that DOESN'T put weight on I am keen to hear about it. Will keep you posted on what happens tomorrow at my GP. Take care
  • Posted

I never had a weight problem before mirtazapine. Now I have been on 30mg for 4 years and I gained 21 pounds. Check out my other threads on how I have now shifted this weight. Briefly, yes, the mirt gives you an increased appetite at first (lasted over 6 months with me before going back down to normal appetite). However, mirtazapine also lowers your metabolic rate by around 15% in my case and so even if you don't eat more than normal, you will gain weight. The good news is that if you come off them, you will lose the weight easily, but the withdrawals can be very bad. In my case, I decided to stay on the mirt because it really suits me and has helped me so much. However, I was not happy with the weight gain and so have been strictly dieting since Christmas. It has taken me 9 months to lose the weight I gained, but I am really slim now and very happy. It is hard work keeping the weight from creeping back on, but I have managed it so far.
    • Posted

Thanks Evergreen for getting back to me really interesting to read you have managed to lose your weight & stay on Mirtazapine. I am new to this site so how do I find your thread ? Would love to read how you lost your weight ? Thanks smile
    • Posted

This forum does not make finding threads easy. The only way is to click on my name and then look at my recent activity list. Scroll down the list and find threads where it says 'created'. There is one which was around 2 months ago and one which is around 5 - 6 months ago. One is called 'mirtazapine diet club' the other something like 'mirtazapine - possible to lose weight?'
    • Posted

Thanks for the hints on finding your threads I will take a read. However, GP took me off Mirtazapine tonight & put me back on Lexapro (yipeee!!!)

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.