Dermoid Cyst and Fertility

Posted , 4 users are following.

I am 31 and was just told I have a dermoid cyst on both of my ovaries. What does this mean for my fertility? The Dr wants to remove them laparoscopically which always means possibility of damage to my ovaries or even worse removal. I'm scared and really want to have children! My husband and I planned to start trying for a family next summer. Advice or experience on dermoid cysts and fertility anyone??

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

I dont have much useful information, just reassurance maybe!

A laparosopy is a simple procdure and is designed to be able to help you the best way they can. First and foremost, your health is important.

I was told in Sept that I had a mass on an ovary and that ovary would need to be removed with a chance of the 2nd one going too.

Luckily only one was removed, but it was discovered it had low grade Cancer so I am happy it was removed.

Hopefully I will start treatment for PCOS soon, having one ovary wont stop me.

The point of my ramble is, there is always hope and try not to be too down about it. Their job is to 1) make sure you are healthy and 2) to do what they can to retain your fertility.

My Dr stressed they would do that for me, despite not knowing if i can cancer or not. He helped me and reassured me he was doing his best to retain that fertility.

I am sure yours will too

• Posted

Hi sweet first off all good luck xx there is always a possibility of ovaries being taken your I should imagine chances of this happening are lower! Fertility I'm not sure xx I should imagine is a good chance of babies in the future xx I'm having dermoids removed next Friday from inside both of my ovaries via laparotomy and they are hopeful to save them incase the future I want more children xx try and stay positive xx and try not stress yourself out xx
    • Posted

Also while having a large cyst in my right ovary I conceived a healthy little girl xx
  • Posted

I would certainly think your surgeon will do everything they can to save one or both of your ovaries. You only need one functional ovary. Knowing you still want a family will be important to your dr. Good luck to you and I hope your surgery goes smoothly.
  • Posted

Thank you everyone to your quick and encouraging responses! I'm am going to talk with the dr in an hour about my options. Maybe I can try for a baby then remove the cysts after - although I am not sure he will promote that idea
    • Posted

I can understand your eagerness to have a baby. Sheri is right, the Dr knows its important to retain your fertility.

I am childless and the Drs still managed to save my right ovary while taking the left. They will know what is best for you.

In my opinion, and its only an opinion. I would get the cysts sorted first. They can cause health issues, they can burst or develop cancer like mine did. Become healthy and then try for a baby.

But the Dr will know the best way for you, its their job remember

• Posted

I just left my Drs office. My right dermoid cyst is 1.2cm and left is twice that. Dr said we will monitor them and rescan in 8 weeks. If they don't change I can try for a baby and we will monitor. He said lots of women find that they have dermoid cysts during pregnancy. He said it can make pregnancy uncomfortable but doable and that we will try the route first.. With surgery being the second option. Hopefully they won't change in size. I go back January 4th. If everything looks good it will be baby dancing time.
    • Posted

That's great news smile get baby making hehehe xx huge good luck to you xxx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.