A brief respite was all.

Posted , 3 users are following.

After taking Cetrizine for a week with no results I changed to Loratidine which seemed to work at 4 x 10mgs per day, then I started applying a salty solution followed by sorbolene then Animine which also seemed to work.   So well in fact the rash cleared up, the itch also went and so I tapered down to 3 x 10mgs of Loratidine and then to 2 x 10mgs and all was fine for a while - but it's back with a vengeance:   Chest and abdomen look like sunburn and I itch like crazy.   Under arms, groin, back of upper legs, back of hands and chest and abdomen are all crazy itchy but no redness.   Should I up the loratidine to 3 x 10mgs or back where I started 4 x 10mgs?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Most of the longer term sufferers take Fexofenadine which is prescrition only antihistamine and comes 180mgs at a time and does (for some people and to some extent) seem to work. They keep mine, along with a strict diet, at bay... JUST!
  • Posted

Yes I was taking Fexpfenadine but the Dermotologist advised against them as they have some sort of detrimental affect on the heart.
  • Posted

PLEASE READ - THIS WORKED FOR ME

Please try taking 1 antihistamine (like Zyrtec) AND 1 antacid daily. I had severe hives for two years following my hysterectomy. Sometimes my feet would swell so much that I had no arch and my skin would split. My hives were caused by pressure, stress, heat, you name it. Once I started taking both the antihistamine and the antacid together every morning, I stopped having hives after a couple of weeks.

From what I understand, those individuals with chronic urticaria need to block both the h1 histamines and the h2 histamines. H1 histamines are blocked by the allergy type of antihistamine and h2 histamines are blocked by antacids.

I took that combination for 9 years with great success. Zero issues with hives. Now, I don't have to take either.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.