Trying to get some information

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hi.  I am actually inquiring here on behalf of my sister.  She has been diagnosed with Hyperthyroidism but seems to have some oddities. I will copy what she has sent me about her symptoms...

I am always hungry but I drink water to make myself less hungry

No matter how much I eat, always hungry but will feel full and 1 hour later I am hungry, 2 hours later I am starving.

Cannot have most fruit.  Makes me sick to where I have digestive pains and get the runs.  I can have it juiced but not eaten whole.

Bananas make me sick to where I get the symptoms of food poisoning.

My workouts are moderate intense.  Cardio every other day for an hour burning at least 500 calories.  Other days are intense weight lifting.

Gained 15lbs on my first month at the gym and my clothes do not fit me.

Told all my life I am Endomorphic.

I eat small meals on small plates and that is it.  Even when I am hungry, I do not eat because I will be fatter.

When I smoked I had no problems with appetite and I stayed the same weight/size

Need to be on birth control because I had problems with my periods only being every 2-9 months and being painful.  Only heavy the first day.  Also need to be on birth control because I do not want to get pregnant and I need to be on it with methimazole because of birth defect complications that may happen.

Neeed to be on Methimazole for Hyperthyroidism

T4 - 23.24

T3 - 19.00

Thyroxine Free 24.24

Now it is slightly above average near hyperthyroidism but better than what it was before.

Symptoms of hyperthyroidism are:

Hand and body tremors

Brain will not shut off when it comes to thinking

Confusion

Depression/ Anxiety

Thoughts of suicide/ feeling worthless

Rapid heart rate

Panic attacks for no reason

Only symptom that does not match is the weight part.

No matter what when I try to do some activity, my body goes into Store fat mode.  

Considering cutting out carbs completely except for pre, during and post workout.  Cutting carbs will only allow me to eat chicken and vegetables daily.  

I need protein or else I will get sick.  I tried full Raw vegetarianism.  Passed out several times and been nutrient deprived.  After 1 month of doing it and balancing diet out.  

Cannot have Soy and I must limit my corn!

No fish or Salt!

It is depressing what I eat.  Chicken with pepper only.  Steamed or sautéed vegetable in olive oil.

No dipping sauces, lemon or lime is okay, no marinades, no dressings, no flavor at all.

She has also recently been request by her obgyn to have a cancer screen done, since her annual exam, so she is really freaking out.

I have requested she get me her blood work, because I am starting to wonder if maybe the doctors are over looking something.

Anyone have anything like this with just Hyperthyroidism?

0 likes, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

Her lab results are confusing.  When you post lab results to a Board, you need to post the normal ranges for each test for your lab as they differ from lab to lab.  However, that said, her TSH reveals extremely hypo.  Don't know what the ranges are for T3 and T4 but what they usually measure is Free T3 and Free T4.  She sounds like she has PCOS syndrome with the infrequent periods.  She should look up diet information for PCOS.  As well, if she has hyperthyroidism, she should not be exercising until her lab values are under control and she is euthyroid, meaning her lab values are normal.  It would be a good idea for her to see an Endocrinologist and get all metabolic testing done including cortisol as well as thyroid lab values and antibody testing.  Most patients who are hyperthyroid have lost a lot of vitamins, minerals and amino acids from their bodies and replacing these is helpful to recovery.  I have Graves Disease and I took Regular L-Carnitine, vitamin D3 gel caps 1,000 to 5,000 IU and Magnesium 200 mg
  • Posted

Hello Cmany:

My name is Shelly and I am an RN (nurse) in the USA.  I have Hashimoto's thyroid disease but I know a lot about Hypo and Hyperthyroidism.

First of all, sorry to hear about your sister.  You can still live a good life despite the disease.

Let me give you some information on how the thyroid works. The thyroid is a gland that sits upon the trachea.  It makes 4 hormones in total. For this conversation we will focus on T3 and T4 hormones.

In the body a signal is sent from the pituitary gland to the thyroid and a sensor hormone called TSH, (Thyroid Stimulating Hormone) senses if it is low or high and tells the Thyroid to make more or less.  Then T4 is converted into useable T3 by the thyroid gland.

When the thyroid makes too much hormone we called that HYPERTHYROID, hyper means too much in the medical world.  Some of the signs/symptoms are:

Losing weight fast, fast heart rate, arrythmias,  anxiety sometimes severe, headaches, feeling HOT, sweating,  loose bowels, periods being off schedule, shaking or nervouness, eye buldging and insomina. There are more these are common ones.

T4 should be 4.5 to 11.2 or in that range so having a high T4  23.24, would mean way too much T4 is being produced.  When you have so much T4 it can cause many problems.  The thyroid regulates metabloism so she would be hungry and unable to keep weight on.  Most people who have hyperthyroidism are very skinny. Sometimes the gland tries to correct itself and in some people the gland can settle down given time. Also some other medications can slow down the thyroid gland. So it may be helpful to know what meds she takes. Sometimes birth control pills can make you gain weight, they have been known to do that.

T3 levels should be  2.6 to 5.7  so  19 is too high. T3 is the useable hormone by the body.

Treatment for the Hyperthyroid person is to have a lobe of the gland taken out and the hopes are the reamaining part will compensate and make enough hormones. Sometimes they use a med Carbimazole to slow down the gland.

You need to watch carbs, if you need to lose weight, and eat small meals that you can tolerate, and drink fluids to keep hydration and help fill you up. Also your may want to ask your GP for a nutrionist consult who can map a diet plan for her.

I hope this helps. Stay well,

Shelly

• Posted

Hi, I have the same problem and i Have Hyperthyroidism too.I feel hungry all the time also,Been eating alot of yogurt that helps. I can't eat apples,every time I do I get a horrible gut ache, and I been constipated even thou I been having to take laxitives to go.The doctor have put me on Fosmac until I see another doctor for the thyroid problems,and wondering if that causes some of it. Cant eat bananas either makes me have heart burn. I have tremors also,wondering if you have irrible bowel sydrome, I have that. Doesnt hurt to ask? Hope you start feeling better Marie

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.