So...I have a cyst the size of an American Football

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi, I'm 27 years old and yesterday I found out that I have an extremely large cyst. It's about 12 inches long and 10 inches in depth, so it's pretty big. My doctors are trying to rush me through as urgent to have the operation to remove it, or drain it. I suffer with anxiety and I am terrified about this. I have never stayed in hospital really or had any kind of operation.

I was wondering if someone could talk me through the whole process so I know what to expect. I have been in pain for about a month now and it took them over three weeks to get me in to have a scan. I visited my GP today and they have prescribed me with Zapain for the weekend, until I hear from the hospital next week.

Roughly, how long do you stay in hospital for a cyst like this and has anyone near my age had something like this at all?

I'm sorry for all the questions, I just want to be informed.

Thank you for reading.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi..I don't have experience of the surgery as yet but I do understand some of what you are going through. Im 37 though so not as young as yourself. I have a 15cm borederline cyst and 4 smaller cysts which developed from my right ovary. It was only diagnosed a few weeks ago and I am expecting surgery either next week or the week after.

Do you know what type of cyst you have and what they are actually proposing to do with it?

I completely understand how worrying it is and I find the waiting and not knowing very difficult to deal with.

Angela

xxx

• Posted

Hi Angela,

I have probably posted in the wrong place to be fair, because they can't tell where the cyst actually is, although, it feels like it's my left ovary.

They said that it's filled with fluid and my GP said that he's hoping that they can remove the cyst through keyhole surgery I think? I'm not actually sure, he was mumbling quite a bit.

The cyst is so big it's actually pushing my abdomen upwards, if that makes sense? I get so bloated very easily and quickly.

Thank you for replying though, I was starting to feel very alone until I stumbled across this site.

• Posted

Well I suppose the next steps are to wait for your consultant appointment and make sure they don't mumble through it this time..it's important you understand what is going on and what their intentions are. It's good that they think they can sort it with laproscopic surgery as the recovery will be easier for you. It's good to come here for support..personally I'd advise you not to Google things if you can as there is so much conflicting information that it may worry you uneccessarily.

I hope someone else can give you some relevant advice.

Best of luck and let us know how you get on next week x

• Posted

Hey! First off don't apologise! It's great to hear everyone's story and be able to help them even though I'm still going through it too well I've had 2 ops this year first was because they thought I had an op If you go on one of my pages you'll see what I've been through and ohh no you've certainly been through the Wars! Right anyway when you have the operation you will be told to et into your gown you won't be able to eat or drink that day you will be nil by mouth. The op itself is okay really is you go down they put you to alwep 1 maybe 2 hours after depends on what they have to do you will be feeling abit drunk and happy well that as me my family thought it as great qhaha and you'll probably have key hol surgery because they put a camera this is called a

A laparoscopy! They will make very small cuts into your tummy one in the belly button and believe me they are tiny!! And to other cuts little lower which fade so fast if you are bothered about having scars and what not so I suggest using bio oil I think it's called works like magic! Anyway after your op you will recover in a few days maybe a few weeks because when they do it they will put gas inside you to see it clearly! So that will be gone after a few days if you get up and make sure you have lots of little walks! Don't stay in bed all day you need to work of the gas but don't tier your self out just relax and drink lots of pepper mint tea b cause you'll probably get constipated so try that and prunes! Anyway if you want to ask anymore please do l!!!!!!

• Posted

Thanks for replying Lauren, your response was really interesting and actually made me smile! Generally, how long do you stay in hospital after a laparoscopy?
    • Posted

That's great they are doing it key hole xx much better for recovery xx last Friday I had two dermoid cysts removed from both ovaries xx that was done with a laparotomy a 4/5inch cut on the pube line I was in hospital a whole two days xx if you don't feel well though they will keep you in but I was ready out xxx
    • Posted

Ohh you are so welcome! Ask me anything and I'll help you as much as I can! It's hard for me to tell because I've just never got better! But it depends on the person how you react whether you get any complications such as urine infections or something they might keep you In for 2 days or longer or send you home same day! I was sent home about 2 or 3 days after I'd had enough by then and with my first op that was when I had to keep going back sad hope they sort you! Xxxx
    • Posted

I am hoping that it will be keyhole and that I have as short a stay as you did. Thanks for replying, Katy xx
    • Posted

Thank you so much, your replies have been a great comfort to me. The doctors are giving me very little information right now. I hope things get better for you soon as well x
    • Posted

You'll have less if it's keyhole babe xx may even be day surgery xx
  • Posted

what was your symptoms bekahlea??
    • Posted

Hi Jassy,

First of all I had a really bad pain when I felt the egg leave my ovary, I usually have this pain, but this was crippling pain and it lasted for well over a week instead of just the normal hour or so, that I'm used too. I was also constipated and my stomach was bloated, no matter how little I ate.

I am now on zapain painkillers and I have an appointment with the gynacologist at my local hospital as an outpatient next Wednesday.

xx

• Posted

Hi Bekahlea,

I too discovered a large cyst on my right ovary.

Did they manage to just drain yours without removing the ovary?

I'm nervous as heck. Hugs to you.

• Posted

Hi jm35710,

It ended up that mine wasn' on my ovary, but on my left fallopian tube and it twisted on it's own blood supply. Needless to say, I lost my fallopian tube, but I still have both ovaries.

They had to open me up to remove the cyst because it was too big to do through keyhole surgery. My surgeon had never seen anything like it, he said it was a freak of nature, because it was filled with clear liquid, just like water. It ended up being the weight of carrying around full term triplets, it was unbelievable when they told me! Thankfully, it came back that it wasn't cancerous, so I believe everything is all fine now.

I understand why you are nervous, I was too. But the surgery was worth it. I won't tell you about my procedure, because I don't want to needlessly tell you what I went through, if you're not going through open surgery.

Just know that you are in the safest hands, the pain medication is wonderful (never refuse it! lol) and if I was told I had another cyst, I'd happily go through the surgery again. The surgeons do this day in day out and it's important that you feel comfortable with your surgeon and that you trust him/her.

Do you know what procedure you are going through?

Big hugs to you, sweet xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.