Bisoprolol - Do I still need it?

Posted , 13 users are following.

Hi all,

​First post so hope you can help.

​Stent three years ago, clopidogrel,bisoprolol, aspirin, statin. In May this year came off all of them to start a fitness campaign which is going well. Gym 5 days a week, 6:30am with a trainer. I am quite fit now and strong, have pushed my heart very hard and never had so much as a blip definately no angina after the stent.

​Last week my GP found out I wasnt taking the drugs and almost had a cardiac him self, wanting to get me straight back on Bispoprolol and aspirin. Why do I need them I dont have a problem?

Any insights from you guys would be very welcome.

Best wishes

​David

0 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi David,

I have been on this site for nearly 3 years now and have contributed to lot's of discussions on this subject and have made a bit of a study as both my wife and I have had Heart problems and have taken lot's of different drugs.

Thankfully we are both fine now.

As you have had a stent  it is usual for patients to take a blood thinner afterwards, usuall, for the rest of their lives.

Both Bisoprol and Aspirin are Blood thinners which stop the Blood clotting and giving either a Stroke or Heart atttack or even both.

Bisiprol tends to give most people terrrible side effects and I have only met one person who it did not affect.

I would say at the very least you should take an aspirin daily.

I hope all this info helps.

God luck Ken.

• Posted

I hope that no one believed you in saying that BISOPROLOL is a blood thinner anyway the poster did not report any problems from it.
  • Posted

Hi David,

Simular to you I had heart attack one stent two half years ago. Was quite fit at the time. I had my heart attack on my mountain bike. I was on the same drugs and more. I have got off some of them with doctors aproval. However 6 months  ago I reduced my Bisoprolol​ to 1.25 mg by coning my doctor into believing I am taking it twice daily. ( Only taking one ) I am now 3 days into not taking any and am feeling the withdrawl. Can I ask you how you got on stopping? I am still on asprin statin and ace inhibitors but know its the Bisoprolol​ thats causing me problems. Maybe you can reach a comprimise with you doctor. Take the asprin but if your BP and pulse rate are good dont see why you need medcation to reduce it further. Good luck.

​BTW not looking forward to telling my doctor what I have done either.

• Posted

Hi

​Thanks for commenting.

With the first batch of pills after the stent I would just fall asleep anytime I sat down so I started taken them just as I fell asleep at night and that fixed it. I just stopped them all with no effects that I noticed on my 60th birthday but I was working hard in the gym everyday for the first 90 days so maybe that masked any withdrawals.

Hope that helps

​David

• Posted

Hi Roxyroy

​I am in process of getting off Bisoprolol too. It is so tough, isn't it.

​This is my second attempt. First time, I came off this betablocker bit too fast and had to start on them almost immediately.

​Key to this is to come off very gradually. At present I am taking 2.5 mg. In this attempt, I am going to reduce by just half a tablet per week for a month, and then reduce by half a tablet again on another day per week for another month. keep on going until I am taking 1.25mg daily. then, start cutting out 1.25mg on just one day of the week for a month before you repeat the same.

I am now on the third month and it appears that it is working well.

​David: Please understnad that Bisoprolol is not a Blood thinner, but a betablocker. You can google and read about this, but in main they help to increase the force of contraction of the heart muscle. It has been a standard procedure to prescribe this for all Angina patient, however, I have read one or two contovertial coments.

• Posted

Try cutting the 1.25 in half and taking 0.625 for several weeks. I have done that with no problem. Now I am spacing out the half pills and not taking one every third day. So far no problem.
  • Posted

Hello David

I was taking Bisoprolol for six months but felt unwell irritable and awfully fatigued . My Gp finally agreed to change them as I had no appetite and had lost 16 lbs during the time I had taken them.

I have Atrial fibrillation and an impaired left ventricle. Heart rate was 140 and is now 70. Have only taken new tabs for three days and feel so much better and hungry! I would not just stop taking them without an alternative . I have been prescribed Nebivolol 5 mg not sure if the cost is greater but feel okay . Hope this helps

• Posted

Recently got doctor to agree to change my bisoprolol which I felt carp on to Invabradine 5mg. I feel great on it. No sleep disturbance. No angina attacks. There are other meds out there.
  • Posted

Firstly, I inadvertantly stated that Atenolol was a Blood  thinner, but could not change it once said.

My wife and I are now both on Atenolol which for us gives no side effects, but it would appear that different drugs have different effects on different people depending on what drugs they are taking and also on what conditions they have wrong with them.

• Posted

hi...wish I had the nerve to try reducing my bisoprolol . thing is my blood pressure tablets were stopped when I was in hospital a 4 weeks ago now back on one of them and my blood pressure this morning was 184/80  thats bad but does bisoprolol reduce blood pressure or am I dreaming that I was told this in hospital  anyone any ideas 
  • Posted

Yes it is a beta blocker
    • Posted

Bisopropol fumerate belongs to a group of products that are indicated as beta blockers which protect the heart from too much activity and is often given with other meds.
  • Posted

I now have 12 stents, inserted over a 10 yr period, the last 2 only 1 month ago, after having a heart attack during the night- I already knew something was wrong, as I couldnt climb the stairs without getting angina. I have been on Clopidrogel (Plavix) Bisoprolol,  Valsartan, Aspirin for years, and never a problem, however since the last 2 stents, I wake up every day with a raging headache- but no meds have been changed? Any ideas?

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.