Bisoprolol. Worried

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi

I've just been prescribed 1.25mg bisoprolol. Im a bit scared to take it as worried that when I'm about to fall asleep I'll get a falling feeling.

I was prescribed 2.5mg in the summer and was taking it in the mornings, but got this awful dropping feeling at night just as I was about to go to sleep.

As I've been presented a lower dose, do you think it would be better for me to take at night to lessen this side effect??

My Dr has changed me from Beta-prograne to bisoprolol as the beta-prograne seems to run out about 8 hrs before its due and I've been getting what my Dr calls positional palpitations. This is because when I am slouched back watching TV in bed I start getting a pounding heart. Then when I lay down to sleep it pounds harder. It's not fast. About 80-84 bpm. But in the day it's about 70-74 bpm.

Im getting myself all anxious about taking it as I live on my own and last time I was on the slightly higher dose I ended up phoning 111 as the falling feeling frightened me so much.

The 111 service told me to prop myself upright a bit.

Do you have any advice for me please.

Positive comments please

Rose

1 like, 16 replies

16 Replies

Next
  • Posted

The falling feeling ( hypnic jerk you can Google)  is quite a common thing with many people but I would not put it down to the medication.

It’s estimated that around 70% of people experience hypnic jerks at some point in their lives.

• Posted

Thank you Derek

I suppose I'm.just a bit scared as it's only been when I was on the first lot of bisoprolol that I experienced it.

The 111 service said it was happening due to fall in BP.

Are you on bisoprolol?

I was on Beta-prograne (propranolol SR).

Im just worried as it's a change and a different kind of beta blocker.

Being on my own worries me.

I've read taking it at night is better as you can sleep off side effects.

Thanks again

Rose

• Posted

I gave it up in May due to side effects before I had my pacemaker fitted, I used to take it at night as I do my Losartan.

I sometimes get the 'jerk'. I think that our dog did as well as she often used jerk and jump up.

• Posted

Yes Rosemary,

Take it at night so that you sleep off the side effects, this will make you feel much better.

• Posted

Hi Marine

Thank you so much for your reply.

Do you take it?

Rosemary

• Posted

Hi there, I am now on 1.25 bisoprolol after having my heart valve repaired 2 years ago. I wasn't keen as I have Diverticular Disease and worried it would affect that but my pulse after the op was routinely 100 plus so I decided to try it. I take it at night and have no problems, my heart rate is normal now. When I had the valve problem I always had to prop a big pillow behind me in bed as my heart would pound, this worked fine and have since been told that one should do this if you get these heart 'poundings' as it does help. Best wishes to you, I think the advantages of bisoprolol outweigh the disadvantages especially at such a low dose.
    • Posted

Thank you Linda

Did you only get the heart pounding at night when resting?

Is your heart beat noticeable now?

• Posted

Linda.

Iv just found this site.

And after reading your comments on the beata blockers

I was wondering if you could help me.

I had a heart attack on the 27 Dec 2015

Got a stent put in on the 31 Dec 2015

After a night in hospital got sent home

But on the 1st of Jan 2016

I ended up in a&e after only being home for 6 hours.

My heart rate was up.

The doctors at a&e put me on beata blockers

Bisoprolol 2.5mg

However only after a few days

I ended up at a&e suffering from really dizziness and light headed.

They cut my beata blockers down to 1.25mg

But Iam still getting the dizzy spells not as strong as before.

And my heart rate drops to 50 beats per minute

It happens nearly every day.

Always about 8 hours after Iv took my tablets.

It dose go away after an hr of so.

Is this normal.

Thank you

• Posted

Hi Rosemary, yes only ever happened at night, it was horrible!  Heartbeat not noticeable now, well it did happen a couple of times in bed but not for ages. 
    • Posted

Sorry, I replied to Rosemary's post on yours!!  You've been through an awful time, must have been very frightening. Seems they discharged you rather quickly, they generally need to check your heart rate carefully over couple of days.  When do you take the Bisoprolol? I definitely found it best to take it at night just before bed and it's certainly done the trick. The dizzy spells could also be from the anaesthetic - mine was open heart surgery where they put you on a pump while they fiddle about with your heart! ! Afterwards for quite a long time I had loads of dizzy spells, would be in shops and  just feel 'spaced out' for a couple of minutes, I got used to them and had looked it up so knew what they were but it wasn't pleasant! Lasted for around a couple of months. Strange your heart rate drops so low, I would definitely ask your doc about this. Though I reckon it's better to have it low,than high!  I was foolish leaving it so long before I would try Bisoprolol, I now take my bp and pulse about once a week. Hope you get answers re drop in heart rate, and that the dizziness improves over time.  Kind regards. 
  • Posted

My wife used to take Bisoprol, with her GP and Cardiolgis agreement we changed her drug to Atenolol which gives her no side effects at all.

With Bisoprol she was always tired, slept till 10am in the morning and felt lethargic all the time.

• Posted

Thank you.

Mine is the lowest dose. Im told it will take a week to start working properly.

Was tiredness the reason she changed to atenolol?

• Posted

I just started bisoprolol 2 days ago, I am wondering how you are feeling. I am so paranoid about the side effects I may get ugh.
  • Posted

Hi there...take it at night should be ok sometimes it's a case of trial and error  I know i've tried now wish I had the nerve to reduce my dose.Reason for that is I was told to take 3.75 after have an "episode" (pulse was 120 and over) then a" crazy" doc presribed me another 5.00 and sent me home ,needless to say toe pulse never went down and I was readmitted next day and had to wait for the effect to wear off ,then back to 3.75.. so that leads me to believe they can only guess really ...not dissing the doc's but every one's  different but it is so much better for me to take at night just before sleep

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.