new ro graves

Posted , 5 users are following.

Hi my doctor is testing me for graves

After my relapse of hyper thyroid

Tsh 0.05

Free thyroxine ft4 41pmol/L

T3 20.5

I dont want to develop budging eyes does this happen to everyone? How common is it.

Will it affect my life?

Everyday duties .

Currently on 30mg a day

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

My Graves was caught relatively early and my eye symptoms were mostly dry, red irritated eyes but no bulging or swelling.  My opthalmologist put collagen plugs in my tear ducts keep more moisture in them.  You are on a relatively high dose of Methimazole.  What I found for me was when I added supplements to my meds i.e. Regular L-Carnitine, Acetyl-L-Carnitine especially and vitamin D3, my values improved quite quickly and I felt much better.  For the eye problems you can take 200 mg of Selenium or eat two Brazil nuts a day.  Some people have put cotton pads soaked in witch hazel over closed eyelids and say it has helped.  If you have problems with the eyes, you need to be followed by an ocular surgeon.  The goal is to normalize your levels and lower your antbodies and you can do this with low dose meds and supplements.  Avoid RAI at all costs because it does not get rid of antibodies and you can develop eye disease even years later after RAI.
    • Posted

I was diagnosed in May of last year with severe hyperthyroidism.  I had no idea what it was and went to see a cardiologist because I thought it was just a heart thing.  I had the shakes but it never registered "thyroid". I also never got bulging eyes. I know that  it does go away so hang in there. I would think by August you should see a difference, that's 7 months away.  Your dr should have answers for you. BTW... Congrats on getting married!
  • Posted

Hi kylie. I was diagnosed last February for graves and my eyes didn't bulge I'm 34 and had most of the hyper symptoms and the swollen goitre which wasn't noticable but it was for me. You have to just get on with it. I didn't take any time off work or anything like that, Its a slow process tbh

I'm still tweaking my meds a year on to get me back to the normal range. I've been under with meds and back up over they can't seem to get the tablets right.

Hope this helps

Emily

• Posted

Thanks emily

The whole thing is my eyes im getting married in august . But nothing wrong with eyes at the moment

I work 4 days a week wont be taking any time off.

And have two young girls .

I just get shaky sometimes and anxious

• Posted

Awh lovely. take Linda's advise above. Fingers crossed all should be ok mine was fine and I was highly toxic my T4 was away up to 100 odd. Really bad sad the shaking was not nice I took 80mg of Propranolol and they really helped loads and the other symptoms I could deal with. Although I think I used to burst into tears every other day. Also planning a wedding can be quite stressful so get as much help as you can and remember you can't please every one. Good luck Kylie X

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.