weight gain

Posted , 6 users are following.

I was diagnosided with Poly Vera july 2015.

Dr perscribed HYdrea in Sept after several trips to the lab for blood removal.

I have steadily gained weight since then . 10 pounds now just since Sept and i am so upset with this. I don't like the Hydrea as i am feeling confused and my hair is thinning and this weght gain is unerving.

I am 66 and its very hard to lose weight at this age.

I want to stop the Hydrea . Has anyone else gained weight? 

0 likes, 12 replies

12 Replies

• Posted

The only side effect I have suffered was my hair going whiter quicker. If I have gained weight because of hydrea I wouldn't know as I am over weight through street earing due to vertigo. Even if I had other serious issues I would stop taking the drug , because I have a needle phobia.the drug cut down need for venesection. Be welll
  • Posted

I am on Hydrea (Hyrdroxyurea) for aroun 24 years.

I am probably no help, as though my weight has increased since then I believe it is due to eating wrong and not exercising enough.

Are you find your weight is increasing in spite of attempts to diet?

• Posted

yes that is the case . I have not changed my eating habits as i live a healthy life and exercise 3 times a week.  i restricted my diet for a couple weeks and i still gained a couple more pounds.
    • Posted

Hello Paul

I am 47 now I was diagnosed with PV IN 2014 and  at the beginning had 4 phlebotomies, since then my hematorcrait has remained  42. And red and white cell is in normal range also my hemoglobin is 14 grams only my platelets are going up to 900

Now my doctor has started me hydroxyl , 2 months ago, can you kindly advice  what kind of foods and what kind of lifestyle we should adapt to live longer as there are many scary information about the life expectancy for the people with this disease, please.

• Posted

Hi Vicki.

At 66 you are not too old to lose weight.

Start walking - increase time or distance each week. Eat healthy food and drink plenty of water. This is pretty simple stuff - don't overdo the exercise at first, let your body adjust -

l'm nearly 56 and have had PRV for 26 years - l'm as fit and healthy now as l was when l 40 - l average 10 miles or 15 kms walking a day - get a fitbit or garmin and set your own challenges.

Be positive - you can do it

• Posted

Hello Paul 

I have to tell you. I live a healthy life. I exercise and eat well. I go to the gym 3 times a week and i have not changed my eating habits so that is why i am upset with this weight gain. of course just recently my hip popped out so i am scheduled for surgery to realign my cup as it is a replaced hip.  

i am fortunate not to have very many symtoms of this PV. i have joint aches but nothing unbearable. The VERY worse part of it is this ever changing body temp. I get SOOOOO hot my back is on fire then 3 minutes later i am freezing. THis happens at least 10 times a day and all through the night. It so annoying.

Thanks for your positive comments Paul.(that was my Dads name)

Vicki  

• Posted

Hi Vicki

You certainly are in the wars ! You do seem to be doing everything possible to stay as well and fit as possible.

Apart from a DVT in my leg and then pulmonary embolisms in my lungs after rupturing my achilles playing basketball 5 years ago (PRV most probably helped formation of the DVT, not the ruptured achilles!) l really do not have the "classic" symptoms of PRV and fortuneately take no drugs except from an aspro a day.

l have minor joint aches but really as a consequence of an ageing body that has had years of playing football, cricket, basketball and athletics. l do find however since l upped the daily walking my back is better and my knee joints feel looser the more l get active.

Weight wise, l could drop a few pounds (kilos in Australia) but fortuneately being tall l get away with it !

Hope the hip surgery sees you up and about ASAP. 

cheers

Paul  

• Posted

Hello Paul

I am 47 now I was diagnosed with PV IN 2014 and  at the beginning had 4 phlebotomies, since then my hematorcrait has remained  42. And red and white cell is in normal range also my hemoglobin is 14 grams only my platelets are going up to 900

Now my doctor has started me hydroxyl , 2 months ago, can you kindly advice  what kind of foods and what kind of lifestyle we should adapt to live longer as there are many scary information about the life expectancy for the people with this disease, please.

• Posted

Hello Kaya

Sounds like your doctor has everything under control. PRV is a condition that is often undiagnosed until something severe happens like a stroke. Getting diagnosed early (l was 30 and lucky l was a blood donor) then montoring and treatment hopefully will keep the disease in check.

l don't know much about hydroxyl as my haematologist has me only on aspirin and 3 monthly phlebotomies. My hematocrait is usually around 50. (men's are higher than women). Normal hematocrait is around 48 to 52 in men in any case.

l eat pretty much anything. Eating a normal balanced range of food is fine - l have a couple of beers on weekends and l haven't heard that there's anything wrong with that - everything in moderation but keeping the exercise up and drinking plenty of water is beneficial, as it is for people who dont have PRV.

My blood readings have hardly changed over 25 years. At times the disease can be more active which may mean additional phlebotomies and at times it can be less active.

l wouldn't worry about life expectancy too much - you could get run over by a bus tomorrow ! Also at 47 the chance of a cure before you get "really old" would be a reasonable expectation.

All the best and stay positive

• Posted

thank you Paul

i am happy you are fit and helping others to keep positive by your good advices. stay healthy and live longer

thanks once again

khaja

• Posted

I have to start hydroxyurea in about six weeks time (after my surgery), my hematologist has told me I have to start walking then,

one of the side effect is possible weight gain and hair thinning.

My problem is the pain in the left back, I get after walking around for about 30 min (even slow walks).

Hoping the new meds will fix that.

I know what you saying about trying to lose weight, just go for

walks in short sections. Cut the food down a little.

• Posted

You can Google the side effects of pv or pvr. Some are quite debilitating. I am on a lot of pain relief for various ailments .

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.