Blood pressure meds messing with diabetes

Posted , 3 users are following.

My husand was diagnosed with a questionable TIA recently and has been given Statins,  Ramipril 7.5 mg, Clopidogrel 75mg.  Since taking them he has had innumerable high blood sugars, which he did not have before and I am convinced they are doing more harm than good.  Has anyone else experienced this.  I should add my husband is 81 and has been ~Type 1 for 33 years.  Although 81 he is very active and does not smoke, and drinks very moderately.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Hello Bianca

Statins and Ramipril both can affect bloodsugar.

The Clopidogrel is given because diabetics can have more tendency towards having platelet disfunctions.

The best practise in respect to statins includes administration for diabetes, hypercholesterolemia and elevated triglycerides and those with TIA/Stroke as well as cardiac involvement...all of which are found with frequency in diabetics.

In considering the prescription of these meds,the physicians always consider the benefits over possible disadvantages and prescribe accordingly.

In this instance I am thinking the doctor considers your husband's condition requires these medications for the betterment of his health.

The elevated blood sugars, likley influenced with these new medications can be easily managed by adjusting the doseage of insulin under the guidance of his diabetic nurse or doctor.

In other words...it is better for him to continue on with the medications and to adjust his insulin to manage the hyperglycemia.  In addition, alcohol does contain a lot of sugar as well and perhaps all things considered is part of the picture.

Good to know he is active !

Lill

• Posted

Hi Bianca, I don't know what half the stuff you mentioned is, but my dad was on blood thinner- Coumadin- and I feel his decline in health a death were very connected to this. 

Also, all the treatment regimes for heart conditions, cholesterol, blood thinners, etc are all based on research done in the 1960s and 70s, and the bulk of this research has been found to be flawed science, and has been disproven. Unfortunately, the dogmatic treatments are still in place.

Think of an automobile and the engine that requires oil to work properly. If your engine block cracks, it's because your oil ran dry due to faulty oil pump, filter or leaks. So messing with the engine block doesn't fix the problem. You can try additives to the oil, but everyone knows that doesn't really work. You have to replace or repair the oil filter, pump, or leak. 

I say,  follow your gut feelings because you are in a position to observe whether the meds are helping or hurting.

• Posted

Hello MtViewCatherine

"Also, all the treatment regimes for heart conditions, cholesterol, blood thinners, etc are all based on research done in the 1960s and 70s, and the bulk of this research has been found to be flawed science, and has been disproven"

On what have you based this observation on? I find your statement interesting.

thanks!

Lill

• Posted

Hi LIll, There seems to be a trend of re-examining old research on which accepted cholesterol BP and other stats are based. When the science is examined, these studies are often found to be poorly designed, poorly analyzed, as well as contradicted by newer studies.

This is should not be surprising, as when we look at nutrition and exercise beliefs, they are constantly changing as more research is done. While much of this is market driven, there is good data out there. Why is it that we should accept old research on any subject? Information is constantly changing and when larger, better, more controlled studies are available, we should use those. We can use new studies to confirm old ones or debunk dogma. The key is to be critical of studies and to use common sense.

History shows us that often times, mainstream beliefs are absurd in retrospect. Why, do we think our beliefs are more sensible? Has human nature changed? There are some really ridiculous and hazardous trends: douching with Lysol, X-ray machines for high tech shoe fitting. Check it out. There are tons of ridiculous beliefs that have gone on for way too long.

I find pharmaceutical data suspect in general, as the goal is to prove efficacy, and generally, a test group and one control group are used, sometimes blind.  By designing an experiment to orove efficacy, you've inherently biased the study.

In any good scientific experiment, the goal is to test an idea, and a well designed experiment has several control groups. The results of a well designed study will more often be inconclusive because the results should raise more questions than answers.

In in the end, we have at our fingertips, an unimaginable amount of information, now we can even find full scientific studies online. Why not empower ourselves to understand our own health? 

• Posted

Thank you for explaining. Some good points and thoughts.

I do not agree that 'all the research' stems that far bar though...there are many studies that are much more recent than the sixties.

I think that not all questions will be learned by individual studies, but by doing multiple ones, perhaps with different focuses.

Certainly we all are required to do our own investigations and 'networking' among others to find what we need.

Lill

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.