IBS?? Something More Sinister??? Need Guidance

Posted , 10 users are following.

My symptoms were abdominal pain on left and right sides as well as diahrea and constipation. Which turned to flat stools after that subsided.

After a CT, a colonoscopy with fasting AND prep, my results came back normal, yet my stool is still flat consistently. I'm worried and confused because people say this is cancer but others say IBS

Is this kind of occurrence of always flat stools possible with IBS??

1 like, 64 replies

64 Replies

Next
  • Posted

I would think a ct would pick something up in the abdomen if something sinister is happening. I've had some of the strangest looking cancer poop in my life but I'm clear. I wish u luck and try not to worry. It might make your poo better.
    • Posted

If I read read his right you've had odd shaped stool with no cancer also?? If so, that's somewhat of a relief.

Yeah my CT was normal and my colonoscopy was all clear...yet still, flat stool. I was hoping someone had a similar story or some answers

• Posted

Many many odd shaped. Flat,ribbon etc. I had a colonoscopy and I had a small polyp that wasn't cancerous but it wouldnt contribute to these stools. I also have incomplete evacuation all the time. I had a ct 6 months ago and it was clear. I also have a genetic mutation that doubles my risk so I was sure I was dying. But they say all is well and now I'm going to choose to believe that!
    • Posted

That's really good news. In a way, this could be a bit of reassurance for both of us. I know worrying after you get good news is silly in itself, but sometimes that's easier said than done. I think I just needed to hear that this was normal, because so far I haven't heard much of anything except "well you dont have xyz" which I am grateful for, but it still left a question in my mind.

Apparently spastic colon and IBS can make stools flat, I suppose even on a consistent basis. I've done quote a bit of digging and screenshots that suggest this.

• Posted

You are not alone. People are quite sick of me when I still dig when I get good news.My mum died from breast cancer at 49. At 35, I feel that death is looming over me. It's a horrible feeling. Especially when I have still have symptoms like u. When it comes to the bowel it seems many people have our symptoms and its ibs. Take care.
  • Posted

Like you all my tests were clear. I was diagnosed with IBS and I have  flat stools at least 95% of the time - I guess that's just one of those things with IBS and absolutely nothing to worry about. 

Jan

• Posted

Did it start completely randomly for you?
    • Posted

Yes, by and large. My first symptoms were occasional diahorrea along with cramp like pains in my right side. Over the course of 6 months the episodes of diahorrea increased in frequency and it reached the point where if I had to travel anywhere, and didnn't have immediate access to a toilet, I wouldn't eat. Since being diagnosed with IBS 6 months ago I have been on the Low FODMAP diet and have been very much better - although flat stools are now normal for me. I have to say that my stress and anxiety levels reduced considerably once I had a disgnosis and now the ocassional flare up doesn't really worry me. 

Jan

• Posted

thanks for the advice, your situation sounds very similar to mine.

Could I PM you for advice if i need it?

• Posted

You have no idea how much relief this gave me. Not that I wish this on anyone, but I was so unsure if this was normal or even possible or not.

I've had hard times coming to terms with "nothing" being wrong because they haven't told me anything, just that the tests so far were clear.

I think you just really helped me accept that though. Its comforting to know this does happen to people with IBS

• Posted

If you had anything seriously wrong, your colonoscopy would have picked it up.  If it has come back clear with all your other tests, then IBS can be diagnosed.  Once I had my IBS diagnosis, my anxiety cleared up.   If you are  diagnosed with IBS, your doctor should be able to explain any symptoms you don't understand.
    • Posted

Yeah I haven't been diagnosed unfortunately, but Jan helped set me at ease a little bit. I thought I was the only one who had them flat all the time.
    • Posted

Of course, pm me any time you want to. 

Jan

• Posted

Has your doctor come up with any ideas since everything has tested negative?
    • Posted

You could try the Fodmap diet and keep a food diary to see if any foods are triiggering your symptoms.  Ask your doctor about IBS and getting referred to an Irritable Bowel clinic.  Diagnosis can take a long time.  It took me three and a half months and eight doctors to get answers.
    • Posted

My diet is relatively healthy. A lot of fruits and veggies, and baked chicken and fish. So Idk if that will ease my symptoms but I will definitely investigate
    • Posted

What is healthy for most people is not necessarily good for people with IBS. For example vegetables such as cauliflour, broccoli, asparagus, onions and mushooms can trigger an attack and fruits containing a lot of sugars, such as apples, can cause a flare up. I find the green part of leeks and the green part of spring onions are good alternatives to onions and I'm careful about eating fruits especiallycertain types of melon. Gluten is also a trigger for me. But everyone is different and it's worth keeping a food diary to help identify what does and doesn't suit you. 

Jan

• Posted

I'll keep that in mind and start logging what I eat. Also, I sent you a PM.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.