Bipolar disorder and family

Posted , 5 users are following.

I was diagnosed in 2014 with bipolar disorder. I'm on medication, that for the last year has kept it under control.

Well, my adoptive mother suffers from it too, and lately has been ragging on me for things I post on Facebook. She blew up at me today, and had me in tears.

It's hard enough to be dealing with a couple of pressing medical issues, but she says I'm a drama queen. This hurts me, as it's a major insult.

Today I was ready to try to kill myself, not the first time I've tried.

Tonight my mood has not improved, and I'm ready to go to the hospital in a mental health crisis. I don't know if things will get better or not.

3 likes, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

You don't offer your age, Kristina. How old are you? Young enough to have a mother, I'm assuming? What pharmaceuticals are you taking?
  • Posted

I'm almost 37.

I take carbamazepine and abilify.

• Posted

If you look over the inserts for the medications you're taking, you should see suicide ideation as a side effect. Call your doctor or head for the nearest hospital. Report this issue. If it's not taken seriously you're seeing the wrong doctor. Some people can't tolerate those medications. Finally, at your age, you should be past letting a parental figure of any kind drive you to suicidal thoughts. Walk away. Go home. Find supportive friends. They are out there. Don't give up here.
  • Posted

I'm sorry you're feeling so awful.  I'm just a depressive so can only imagine the problems of being bipolar.  Your mother may well have different views of the illness and this may colour what she says to you.  Feeling suicidal is not being a drama queen - it is a really awful desolate feeling.

You sound as if you need to feel more safe about yourself and you may be able to decide how best to achieve this, whether it is going into hospital or not.  You also need support and perhaps the professionals in your life can help with that in the first instance, as we are not all lucky enough to have the ideal friends on hand to assist.  But nevertheless you are worth caring about, and I do hope you will seek help from someone who you think will sympathise and help you at this bad time.

• Posted

Hi Kristina,

It might be helpful to block her on FaceBook. I know that sounds a bit harsh, but when you need to vent or complain or just off load your worries, FaceBook is a fabulous place for that because you get so much encouragement and love from your FaceBook friends, that often that helps us pull through a dark patch. The last thing you need is a troll raining on your parade and trying to stop you from getting the support you need. Sure, FaceBook is not the best support on Earth, but is a support none the less, and it is helpful.

Just block her, and apologise to her for doing so, saying you need that tiny bit of privacy and support from your FB friends, and since it is clearly offending her, might be better of she doesn't have access, so it can't offend her any more.

That's what I think anyway. Big hugs

• Posted

sorry to hear about your troubles, sounds like you could do with getting away from criticism, it the last thing you need with your bi-polar diagnosis, Do you have any friends or a counsellor you could talk to, if you are living together, maybe you could go for a walk when your mum irritates you.  If she suffers with depression herself, you would think she would empathize, but if she is irritated by your illness, perhaps she too is unwell.  Very sad, would be good if you can get into hospital for respite.  I am 73years old and have now got my Bi Polar under control with medication which suits me and I do not try to come off meds as I used to when I was younger, which led to awful depression.  Good luck to you Kristina, hope you feel better soon.
    • Posted

I haven't lived with her since I was 18, and would never go back.

She thinks just because her medical issues are more serious than mine, she doesn't need to support me. She's 70, but acts like a child sometimes.

A friend of mine makes me chuckle sometimes. When someone we know acts stupid, she says, what are you, 5? If I told her about my mother, she would be saying that right now.

• Posted

Unfortunately I am in hospital on a 72 hour hold. I had a breakdown and became suicidal. I'm hoping to get better soon.
    • Posted

I am still in hospital, not sure when I'm going home. I've been having an extremely hard time, I have resorted to self harm.
    • Posted

Dear Kristina,

I so hope you feel better soon. Hang in there girl. You are lovely. You are stardust. You are universal energy. You are a human being, a creature of Planet Earth and have every right to be here as living being, nurtured by the Earth, the plants, the animals and every living thing. You are special, and you have strength. I hope you find your strength very, very soon, and realise how wonderful you are. Big hugs, Tersia x

• Posted

I was released yesterday, with the hope that things are turning a corner. I had lost my faith in God when this first happened, but I realized, gods plan all along was for this to happen. I was able to meet a few wonderful people, who are slowly able to restore my faith. We have become friends, and I'm happy for that.

I am still worried about doing this again, but with new friends, new medication and programs to keep me busy, I should be OK.

• Posted

Felt I had to reply to your last email.  I am struggling with depression but I am lucky enough to be at home, though I live alone so there is no-one to help me here.  Yesterday as I waited outside the doctor's surgery (office) trying to pluck up courage to try to get an appointment, someone stopped, talked to me, gave me a hug and let me cry, and then said that, whatever problem I had, I was valuable and I had a right to ask for help.  It was the comment about having value which really helped, and I keep re-running it in my mind.  I know that you too have value and wanted to say this to you in the hope that it may help you just the littlest bit.  I will be thinking of you today because doing so will help me as well.
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your comments, I really appreciate them. I am doing OK right now, I'm taking life day by day. I'm trying to stay positive.
    • Posted

I'm very glad you are feeling a bit better.  Go gently and don't push yourself too hard about trying to stay positive.  If you can appreciate and take pleasure in little things, like a shaft of sunlight or a flower, that is how you build more positive feelings.  At the moment I really need to heed this advice for myself!  But I did sit in the garden today and turn pieces of gravel in my hand and feel them and wonder where they had come from and how much the roundish ones had been turned in sea waves, and I felt calmer as a result.  Just a thought.  Best wishes.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.