Sugar Level Metformin Extended Release

Posted , 4 users are following.

Hello I have been on Metformin Extended release 500 mg in morning and 500 mg at night. My sugar levels are tested in morning and 2 hours after dinner. morning sugar 130 to 143.  I have been on meds since 4/6/16  not really seeing an improvement. I also have bad diareahea.  Anyone else experience this and have to switch meds?  How soon should my sugars start going down?

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Check with your doctor. I wonder if your watching your diet. Keep in touch

Sandy

• Posted

I was asking other Diabetics.  my doctor already said to discontinue medication until i see her on 4/27/16.  Any opinions about sugar levels ?
  • Posted

Hello

The diarrhea is from the metformin. Generally people should start out at a lesser dose and increase slowly to minimize the effects of it. Try perhaps taking the morning dose only, for a week or so and then introduce the  tab in the evening.

Metformin usually takes several weeks to build up and indicate changes in your levels...you haven't been taking it for very long.

Lill

• Posted

Changing your diet after the diabetes food education that the nutritionists give, and exercise all work together with the drug to lower your sugar. It is quickest through diet and exercise. I just started Metformin, regular dose (not extended release) and took my second dose with a meal this evening. I, too, had explosive diarrhea! YIKES!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.