Heart palpitations with hiatus hernia?

Posted , 7 users are following.

Hi, I have recently been diagnosed with a rolling hiatus hernia, recently I have been experiencing what seem to he heart palpitations at night, I'm not sure if they are coming from my heart or perhaps my chest muscles/diaphragm spasming whilst I breath, the doctor has checked my heart and blood pressure and assures me that there is nothing wrong with my heart, does anyone else with a hiatus hernia suffer from symptoms like this? Really beginning to worry me now, thankeep you smile

0 likes, 16 replies

16 Replies

• Posted

Hello Alex

I went to doctors a few weeks ago and he said I have acud reflux but been on lamprozol and omprozole x side affects with them were worse than my problem x I got rantidine tablets from chemist they seem yo be working but giving me a lot of anxiety attavks x so join back yo doctors on Tuesday to try and see if he can arrange to have camera down my throat see what actually is going on x stressing me out now x been 8 weeks x

• Posted

Sorry about the last message with the spelling mistakes I was using my phone to type lol x

yes I get the palpertation as well but had heart checked with egg all ok

but now doctor is arranging for me to have 24 hour monitor fitted in a couple of weeks so see how that goes but I have suffered with a few panic attacks but this is sending me over the top with anxiety X I've signed up to join a anxiety clinic to try and deal with this 

• Posted

How did you go about getting the 24hr monitor, my doctor is adamant that there's nothing wrong so keeps fobbing me off, I've suffered with anxiety for years and when my heart goes it makes me more anxious and I can't focus on anything else but my heart beat rolleyes
    • Posted

Hello Alex

been to the doctors today as I've been taking Rantidine for acid reflux

my doctor said today he doesn't think I have acid reflux now he thinks it's all due to anxiety X I am having my 24 hours monitor on next Tuesday  see what that has to say X I have had bad palpertation today X I did try to go and lay down and rest but that don't work X so I thought I'd try to walk it out on the treadmill for 20 mins  and then a shower X that seem to work X so off all tablets now and waiting for monitor next Tuesday 

• Posted

Alex

Sometime heart palpitations come from having avib, my husband was put on an over night monitor to check to see if he had it and he did, if that be the case for you, it must be checked, it is a serous thing but can be helped. Best to you

• Posted

What's avib? My doctor keeps telling me there's nothing wrong with my heart so getting it checked further is going to be a problem? rolleyes
    • Posted

Alex

I am sorry I can't explain Afib but something to do with heart.

Jo

• Posted

Sure you've looked up on Internet but AFIB is an irregular heartbeat often characterised by being to fast and causing breathlessness.  Various treatments including I believe in an extreme one...stopping the heart and restarting. Friend had this done and worked brilliantly. Their heartbeat could exceed 200pm at times. Suspect not what you have and more HH causing.
  • Posted

You are not alone. I too have a large sliding hiatus Hernia and experience the same symptoms as you. I am also breathless and often struggle with stairs etc. Even though I have had my heart checked I still panic when I get severe chest pain. I really do sympathise with you.g
    • Posted

I really do panic and then I think it actually makes my heart pound more due to anxiety, thank you.
  • Posted

Yes...I thought it was my heart too but in fact they were muscle spasms caused by the hernia. My doctor gave medicine for them but it doesn't help.
    • Posted

Thanks Stacy, so glad this is a symptom, I feel I'll worry less about it now smile
  • Posted

All very familiar symptoms but for me was initially more worrying as I do indeed have heart issues so the palpations were a big concern. Am sure worrying excessively really doesn't help so if your heart checks out OK concentrate on minimising the symptoms. Everyone is different but would try to calm things with the HH by doing things like ..not eating within say 5 hours of going to bed, trying more frequent smaller meals, avoid swallowing bulky things like chunks of bread, plenty of liquids with food, steer clear of acidic or fatty foods particularly in evening (e.g citrus like oranges). Sounds silly but go to bed tired as the quicker you fall asleep the less you will think and worry about the palps. Worrying can quickly bring them on.  Caffeine and alcohol don't work for me but again my issues are likely a bit different. 

Had all the various medications and again for me Lanzoperzole works best. Finally I believe certain sleeping positions cause the HH to influence the heart possibly bringing pressure to bear on the Vagus nerve. Experiment with how lying is best for you but I get relief laying on my left side. There are also numerous exercises on the Internet for assisting relief the HH pressure. Suggest you give some a good try them as not necessarily an immediate benefit. Sure you can get the palps to calm down. I reckon mine mostly 70-80% improved although do get flare ups.mwhen happens for a say or two I adopt a liquid diet which helps restore things ...luckily I am a big fan of soup! 

Dont loose faith and if medics say your heart is OK be happy and work on the ol HH. Good luck 

• Posted

Thank you so much for your advice! Really good to know that I'm not alone with these symptoms, was getting frustrated as I really thought it was my heart and that my doctor wasn't listening and was fobbing me off smile
  • Posted

You are definitely not alone! I did plenty of Internet trawling and whilst I fully appreciate the dangers of self diagnosis I am type who needs to know the possibilities but at same time do not get carried away thinking everything sounds like what I am suffering from. The Vagus nerve angle seems very prevalent amongst sufferers but at same time many state their doctors/cardiologists dismiss chances of the HH affecting this. I have had some horrible periods possibly when I 'conform p, less to my best guess regime of self help but now accept they pass and at times I feel almost normal which is great. Basically if it's HH related this is not life threatening and just another thing we have to deal with particularly as we get older. By way what's your age? Seems HH will affect many as in latter years. 
    • Posted

No you are not alone.  I have gerd reflux esophagitis and small HH.  Pain in chest is part of it.  I love to power walk for 30 mins a day but have had to stop because my chest starts tightening up and feeling like going to spasm.  Then I start panicking that I won't be able to get home and feel lightheaded like I am going to faint.  This I know is panic as I have had attacks for years. 

I also find left hand sleeping best.  Also I have raised the bed on 6 inch blocks and use three pillows as well.

There are loads of self help suggestions - it is a case of trying them all out one by one.  Some help others don't.

Does not sound like your heart.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.