Fluoxetine upped to 40mg for PND and Insomnia

Posted , 2 users are following.

Good morning,

I was on 40mg Fluoxetine for depression before I fell pregnant last year and felt very stable. I went down to 10mg during pregnancy, had a trial on sertraline around 7 months which started off insomnia so went back onto Fluoxetine but up to 20mg. Insomnia was still bad so took Promethazine (phenergan) to help. When baby arrived, the first 3 weeks I felt fantastic! However after that I suddenly couldn't drop off to sleep again, obviously exacerbated by baby (my third child) needing night feeds. The severe lack of sleep flared up my anxiety and depression and made it even harder to sleep, even though I was exhausted. The doctor upped my dose to 40mg from 20mg a little over a week ago. Even though I've been great on 40mg before, I feel an absolute wreck at the moment. My anxiety is through the roof, I feel depressed, detached and still finding it hard to sleep, so taking the Promethazine again. Could it just take a while for me to see the effects of the dose increase this time? When I went up to 40mg before I don't recall feeling so awful, but then wasn't in such a bad place to start with. Any advice is much appreciated. Thank you x x

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

I've never taken 40mg always 20mgs, but I have read other posts on here that have said side effects increased with dose increase. I first took fluoxetine 10 years ago and dont remember the side effects being as bad and lasting as long as when I took them this time. But last time I was a stay at home Mum and didn't really know what to expect as far as side effects went, this time I had to get back to work, so I imagine other pressures around you have some effect xx
    • Posted

Thanks for your reply Jo. How long have you been on the 20mg and which side effects did you experience and for how long (if you don't mind me asking)? x x
    • Posted

I've been on it now since october, side effects lasted for about 8 weeks, more anxiety, couldn't sleep, racing thoughts, palpitations, feeling spaced out all the time, low mood etc etc xx

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.