Bladder Neck Incision - Can't Urinate after BNI

Posted , 6 users are following.

Hi ,

I was hoping to see if anybody has experinced or know of anybody whom has had bladder neck incision ( I had it done on Friday , it seemed to go well but i couldnt urinate at all and have been sent home with Catheter and returning in couple weeks to remove as they said it is swelling in the prostate due to the surgery , I am 46 yrs old normal prostate ) any help much appreciated as im quite worried now !!

0 likes, 8 replies

8 Replies

• Posted

Well Justin 63-year-old man here had a turp done  march 29 before that had my right kidney removed because of cancer on March 8 I had  A catheter in for a month was beginning to think I was going to have to deal with that for a long time it's getting better now no catheter peeing on my own   Now still a little splatter but getting better the procedure did affect my ability to get a strong erection don't think it will get much better at my age
  • Posted

Getting better every day have had lots of health problems throughout my life 
  • Posted

I take it was an NHS hospital. They want patients out ASAP so will send you home with a catheter in rather than keep you for an extra day for things to settle down. A lot of the problem comes from your urethra as it swells like a sponge from the trauma of the instruments used and with blood and the fluids used. 

I've not had a bladder neck incision but two laser procedures. After my PVP in 2005 they kept me for a second night as I had retention and a long journey home by train. 

After my second laser BPH procedure in 2013 the surgeon said to go home with a catheter for a week as I was still passing blood. I was actually given an appointment for two weeks and the catheter was a nuisance and I also got an infection during the time. 

I hope that they gave you enough urine bags to last that time. They told me to get more from my GP who did not have them. It was a Friday afternoon and the local pharmacy did not have any either. I also had a blockage in the catheter tube and had to go back to get them to wash it out. I also for some reason had a night when I did not produce any urine at all that they could not explain when I phoned the out of hours number they had given me. Finally, I also had a faulty leg bag that leaked. Fortunately I was not far from home at the time. After that I carried a spare pair of trousers with me.

Have better luck:-)

• Posted

That is true.  When you have any prostate surgery you will be swelling. They will put in a catheter Did they tell you about the side effects Why at 46 would you want retro.  Did they give you any other options  Ken
  • Posted

Well what started the whole thing is I was having difficulties peeing  they ordered and ultrasound of the renal system that's when they found a ball of cancer in my right kidney scheduled surgery removed the kidney they tell me I'm cancer free but that had nothing to do with my peeing problem  so after two weeks of a catheter because he couldn't Pee  they decided I needed to have a turp  that is where they go in your penis and scrape the top of your prostate off not a real pleasant experience Dan I wore a catheter for another two weeks after that they took the catheter out sent me home with one  never used it peeing  much better now but not much of an erection pretty puny don't think that's going to get much better at my age who cares 
  • Posted

ok, well i had a BDI or TUIP last March 2015......to be fair i had no real problems, normal prostate etc..but they did say that you may have peeing probs at home (24hrs) after op, or..you may not!! well for the first few days just the usuall difficulties>>blood and bits!, then it slowed right up!!!!! off to Doc`s( NHS) he said  wait a day or two, plenty  fluid.. should be ok. Shure enough ok!! He did say that a cath may be needed if  blockage occurs again, bugt it did not so  all ok! I think patience may be required....swelling will die down , but different for everyone( i am 68) life style plays a big part as well, so think positive if you can, it will turn out ok!!  Syd
  • Posted

Most likely swelling.  Relax and follow the doctor's recommendation/s.  You'll be fine.  Main thing is to REST and don't lift anything!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.