Please please help me ... IBS

Posted , 5 users are following.

I hope someone can help.... I'm at the end of my tether and I'm beyond worried.

This has been going on for months and I don't know what to do. I've just registered with a GP but there are no appointments for another 3 weeks and I'm not sure how much more I can deal with.

I can go days and days without going to the loo but I'll feel bloated. Then all of a sudden I'll need to go but when I do it's incredibly loose. Then I'll need to go everyday (loose every time) before the next bout of constipation....

I go every night at the same time.. Between 7 and bedtime. I eat breakfast and lunch everyday and I'm fine, then as soon as I have my dinner after work, I need to go instantly. I don't really have pain unless I need to go. I always eat home cooked food (not sure if that makes a difference).

I'm extra worried as last night right after going, I went to check to see if I could again and all I got was it mixed with mucus.

I'm so embarrassed but I'm also scared. Does this sound like it could be IBS? If so, how do I control it until I can see a doctor?

It's ruining my life! I avoid my BF touching me at bedtime incase something happens and I lose control. Please help!!!!!!

0 likes, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

Definitely sounds like ibs. The mucus can mean ibs or it can also mean you do not take a lot of fiber (Oatmeal and such can slightly help) but overall the mucus shouldn't be a big worry. I have mucus on my stools half the time even when I intake on fiber. I usually have bowel movements twice in the morning one when I wake up and one right after breakfast (I made my bowel movements this way) I was also in this sort of pain. As long as your stool isn't changing color like pale or very dark red or something you'll be fine. I. This day of agate many young people will go through ibs. Many people will have ibs without ever noticing because it isn't as severe while others may have it mild or very severe. Your doctor will likely recommend you some stool softeners for a few days, a recommendation of foods, exercise. And find a way to make your bowel movements go on the time you want to go. Mines can be unpredictable even if I go twice in the morning I can go again in the afternoon then at night. But if your feeling bloatedness, constipation that goes on and off when you feel like you have to go but you can't, abdomen pain/Stomach cramps your likely suffering from ibs. I had this for a few days but luckily mines went away after eating smaller meals, more fiber and water along with stool softeners. If you are given these pills do not use them more than 7 days you don't want your colon and such to rely on these they will get lazy to push all the waste down. Also don't push if you can't go this will also cause a hemorrhoid which I learned from my mistake. But yeah don't freak out the anxiety you have will make it worse than what it is. Try to be in a stress free environment this too will keep the ibs at ease. Just try to relax yourself. I hope with this information you will feel more relaxed and like I said mucus on stools is pretty common among the young and is definitely a ibs sign and a fiber one as well
    • Posted

Thank you so much for your help.

What tests will the doctor do to determine what my problem is?

• Posted

Normally within a blood test. But by saying all these symptoms you feel I dont think testing would be very necessary. These are legit accurate ibs symptoms that dont normally occur if its something else. I think first timers get scared because the internet tends to dramatically say some symptoms are similar to colon or pancreatic cancer which is very false. Never google your symptoms a lot of it is just false cancer information. Just so you know there isn't some cure for ibs they can stay for weeks, months and even years. But just like what 5philippa61759 said just stay away from gassy food for now since your symptoms seem pretty severe on ibs. Likely they will calm down sooner or later.
  • Posted

it could be ibs but your best bet is a n e ifit tht bad they could take  you for ultra sound and blood test good luck no harm in seeing
  • Posted

Your symptoms sound like IBS.  Try avoiding gassy foods like broccoli, Brussel sprouts and cabbage.  Try coming off dairy and gluten.  Home cooked meals are better because they don't contain the additives and preservatives that ready meals have.  Avoid artificial sugars like sorbitol and cut back on fructose.  If you don't get heartburn, try peppermint oil or peppermint tea.

Take more fibre when constipated and less when getting loose stools.  If you are getting diarrhoea, try Imodium.

• Posted

It could be  IBS but to be on the safe side I would not self diagnose just at present and wait to see a doctor, if you are not in any pain or real discomfort and can wait 3 weeks or if not then phone and explain you are suffering and you need an appointment sooner, most surgeries have emergency appointments or you could request a doctors call back and explain symptoms and 9 times out of 10 when you do this they magically summon up an appointment for the next day,  good luck.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.