I'm only 21 and I can't take it.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I'm only 21, a transgender male with depression and anxiety. Got diagnosed with ibs a month an half ago and I'm on all sorts of medication! My ibs is making me feel so suicidal (I've never felt this way before) I can't even leave the house without having a really bad panic attack and running home. I get chronic diarrhoea in public and I haven't made it to the toilet in time twice this year...it's so emotionally straining and exhausting. I've had to change my diet drastically because milk is my biggest trigger food. I'm on anti diarrhoeals, mebeverine, beater blockers, anti depressants, buscopan and vitamins. I just can't anymore...

0 likes, 4 replies

4 Replies

• Posted

Hey Matthew, I know it's hard but you will get through it. It'll take time to work out what foods work for you and what helps with the ibs. Speak to your doctor and let them know how you're feeling. Don't do anything stupid
  • Posted

Believe me Matthew - it will improve drastically as you learn how to control and manage it. I know exactly what you mean about being virtually a prisoner - I got to the point where I was afraid to leave the house in case I couldn't get to a toilet in time. What has helped me enormously is the Low FODMAP diet, recommended by my GP. I discovered that my triggers are onions, garlic and mushrooms, and it is incredible how many food products contain onion or onion powder, for example.  I've been following Low FODMAP for about 7 months and it has given me my life back. I'm no longer anxious or fearful about going out and I am still able to eat a varied diet - in fact it is probably a more varied diet now than before. As I say, it is possible for you to control your IBS, rather than IBS controlling you. Keep going, you will get there. 

Jan

• Posted

Hello Matthew Sorry to hear of your difficulties and this is definitely not easy. I fully understand the panic attack scenario and writing thus less than 1m from my own loo. I did try to work again a few months ago but did not work out. I have been close to not making it. I have wet myself in public but with regards to the other I have done such stupid things to avoid it including jumping off buses in the middle of nowhere to find a field and once sprinting off the bus past a Spanish restaurant owner who was only putting his sign out straight up his stairs and locked myself in his loo with angry staff banging on the door. Luckily once I explained they were fine.

I had to change my diet drastically too even though I do not have a trigger food I have trigger areas so all processed food out like bacon and ham and they were the main part of my diet previously. I am older than you but lived like a student coco pops, ham sandwich and maybe waffles in the evening. All out. I do each much better now and lost 3 stone. Many in here use something called Fodmap. I did not get on with it but mainly because certain foods help me which does against Fodmap such as apples.  No no on the list but eating an apple at night and a plum has helped me.  Like I say below we find our own strategies.  I also eat celery as a snack rather than chocolate bar but I think this is a no no too.  It takes time but you just have to find your own way or join the Fodmap brigade. Either way you will find something which helps.

I find tablets make me worse so do not take any SSRI's despite having them offered on prescription. I did take some briefly but made me worse.

Please do not do anything silly and I have visits from the dark lady too shouting "O happy dagger this is thy sheath" especially when after being repeatedly Ill for a few years my partner left and of all my partners she is the only one I could have settled with but not to be. After that I lost my job as I was rolling in at 10.30am most mornings. It was due to illness but like girlfriends employers become bored with the same reason too. Despite these setbacks I am still and you should be too.

Just what you are going through in your personal life is huge, not including IBS, and I have friends who have gone through similar so I know you are going through a lot but once you have resolved this you will be happier and this will limit your stress and help you with your IBS I am sure. It is all about finding strategies. I am even thinking of starting work again. Maybe voluntary to start with and maybe within walking distance so once you have your own strategy it is half the battle. People in here can help with strategies and I also picked up a few tips from a crazy teenager on YouTube called accent girl. Just find information where you can. I have found myself browsing mindfulness in my local library which is definitely not me but with IBS it has become me. I have also signed up for a stress management course in a few weeks to help understand my body more so I say try to understand your body more.

The single biggest thing which helped me was exercise and luckily I take my exercise in the open air so if I am ever Ill on a walk I will be fine but strangely I have been ill before a walk but never whilst on one.

Don't give up as Kate Bush once said. Doctors will not help much with IBS but the good chaps and chapesses in here will.

• Posted

Bless your heart Mathew, IBS is a horrible thing to have I have had it for years and everybody gets different symptoms and it affects everyone differently, by the process of elimination you will gradually find what helps and works for you, panic attacks are no walk in the park either.

Please be brave and you will get through this.

Sending you Big Hugs

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.