Have Achalasia. Had the Heller Myotomy Fundoplication 2 weeks ago. Advice required.

Posted , 7 users are following.

I've had Achlasia for nearly 4 years- I'm 32 years old. I've had 2 dilatations. The second one helped, but symptoms soon returned when I got pregnant. I've been on a liquid diet for 2 weeks post op and will be starting the 3 week puréed diet tomorrow. I did have some puréed porridge today- it went down ok but wasn't amazing. The surgeon said that it would take time for me to see an improvement because it needs to heal. I need some motivation and positive advice during this time to get me through. If anyone has had any positive experiences after surgery please let me know to keep me sane. Also it would be reassuring to know that it took a good few weeks post op to notice an improvement in swallowing. It's a hard disease to live with and I've found it really hard explaining it to people. I love my food so it's a real shame. However I have it so just have to be positive and adjust my lifestyle. Need positive post op posts. Thank you. Xx

0 likes, 7 replies

7 Replies

• Posted

Sally

I find taking Phenergen 25mg (promtehazine hydrochloride BP) two hours before a main meal to be helpful. It will relax the eopheal sphincter. It will probably make you drowsy later but that can also assist getting a good night's sleep.

Also immediately before the meal have a galss of water containin a teaspoonful full of sodium bicarbonate.

Good luck.

It is not a panacea but it works most of the time for me so long as I limit fatty foodss and alcohol.

• Posted

Hi Sally , I am 6months post op and eating well , my life is transformed . I was a little different in that was encouraged to eat soft foods from the start , I think there are different opinions between surgeons as to post op diet . If you are on facebook suggest you join achalasia group as so much help and support from hundreds of fellow sufferers around the world who know what we go through and support us through our darkest times and cerebrate our successes with us too . I would say worth joining facebook just to be part of this group who have helped me through so much . Hope you feel well soon xx
  • Posted

Sally 20040. I'm a 60 year old make that had the surgery 3 years ago, and thus far things are fairly normal. It did however, take several weeks after the surgery to see a noticeable difference. I sometimes have difficulty with fresh bread as well as Pita bread. If I take small bites and chew food well, I don't have a problem swallowing. I recently got on weight watchers and dropped 18 lbs in a month through diet and excercise. I'm 6'2" and currently weigh 220 lbs. the weight drop has help immensely. There's light at the end of the tunnel so don't get discouraged. Good luck
  • Posted

Hi Sally

I've had two myotomys plus fundoplications over a period of three years

And also in that time a dilation. With these ops the aim is to cut as many of the

muscles of the stomach valve as possible. However some do get missed

As in my case.

Post open its not unusual to still experience a little tightness and, as I found, things do

take a bit of time to heal. It may be a few months before you see any

improvement.

However I think that my best advice is that you ma find there are foods you have to stay

Away from for the rest of your life. Some foods just don't go down. In my case

it's foods like steak or beef or bread. The fundoplication involves some stitches

Which can be a little tight and this could be a problem.

You have to think about how bad things were pre op. In my case I couldn't swallow at

all and suffered reflux of thermal the night before when in bed. Life was

Utterly miserable and I was close to suicide.

Post op things are definitely better, but not perfect. I still experience

symptoms but it's liveable. Like some folk who lose a limb or develop

Some chronic condition , you have to make life style changes.

Post open I had two weeks light soup diet, then two weeks baby food

type diet then two weeks of a soft normal diet. I take sponsorships for acid.

Burbs also recommend drinking a warm drink such as tea with any meal

I found a warm drink eased swallowing of food.

I suggest you go easy on yourself and give things time to heal.

Good luck

• Posted

In also hate predictive text!!

I take esomeprazole for acid.

• Posted

You will have to give it some time. I had swelling for a long time. I was 39 when I had the operation. I am much better (2 years later). Not normal, but way better. Before surgery, I could only have clear liquid 2 sips at a time or it would come back up. In the next couple of weeks it will be better. I have a hard time with bread, as many do. Salad is my best food. I still suffer from spasams, but I think that's my norm. I have since had a pneumatic dialation as my fundoplication was tight. Give it a couple more weeks and you will be much better!!!
  • Posted

Hello Sally.

I know what you're going through. I was diagnosed with a galaxies aged 12 after having swallowing problems for most of my life. I had the Hellers myotomy op aged 13 and it went ok. I was on liquid foods or blended meals for 4-6 weeks. At first I was still having difficulty but that was to be expected due to swelling etc.. I'm now 17 so 4 years post-op and all is good. I still have difficulty with some foods like tough meat and rice (not sure why) but it is so much better than it was. So stuck in there it will improve for you!!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.