Scalloped tongue and teeth grinding - driving me insane

Posted , 5 users are following.

Please help. I feel like I am going insane with this problem which started around 3 weeks and has become worse every day. I am on 20mg carbimazole and have been for 3 months now. My last blood tests 6 weeks ago were TSH < 0.01, T4 17.9.

?Just before these latest symptoms started I was feeling great. Had my energy back and was able to do most of the things I could do prior to becoming ill. Then this awful jaw clenching and tongue thing happened. My tongue feels too big for my mouth and impossible to relax it. I am constantly pushing it against my teeth. My teeth feel sensitive and my jaw aches. I just can't get any rest from it. I am due for my 6 weekly blood tests tomorrow. Could I be hypo do you think? Or could this be a reaction to the carbimazole? I really am at my wits end with this. Tongue is sore and indented from pushing against teeth.

1 like, 14 replies

14 Replies

• Posted

Hi everygreen,

I have similar symtoms! I am also on 20mg of carbimozole and my last blood test shows that my bloods are getting better, but im not really feeling it! I have awful trouble with my jaw, constantly clenching it and just feel a constant pressure in my jaw joints, its really really bothering me and dont know what i can do! Anybody with any suggestions it would be greatly appreciated!

• Posted

You poor thing. It drives you mad doesn't it? I hope someone can give us some answers or advice. I hope it gets better for you!

• Posted

I had my thyroid out a few years ago and am on thyroxin replacement - and I tooth grind and bite my tongue if my levels go off - only being deeply asleep I do a fair amount of damage and wake up to find quite a mess.  Its happened several times ( last week being the latest ) and currently I can't eat solids and have trouble drinking due to a large septic bite !  I've not found any reason or way of avoiding this yet so would also be interested at its b****y painful - in both senses :-(

• Posted

That sounds awful! Mine seems to be much worse during the day and I feel best in the mornings. When you say your levels are off, do you mean too low or too high?
    • Posted

Its bizzare.  If I don't do enough physical activity the levels get too high and I get hyper symptoms, but if I do any extreme activity,( log splitting/digging holes etc ) they drop and I sleep so deeply at night that I don't know I'm chewing myself up !  I'm finding that there is a fairly narrow band of acceptable activty outside of which I get issues one way or the other - the trouble is that taking an extra part tablet only gives over thyroxin symptoms and doesn't help the basic situation.  Its like waves on an ocean swell - and unfortunately the regular thyroxin tabs control the swell and day to day activity creates the waves.  As I live in the country and am very active this is a bit of an irritation !  Its  liveable, but annoying.

• Posted

That's interesting and may explain why if I get a few days when I feel really well and do lots of physical stuff, I then crash with no energy and feel depressed. Before diagnosis, I was going on the cross trainer for 45 minutes a day plus working with the horses. Now the cross trainer is out of the question and I do the bare minimum with the horses. If I have some very active days, I pay for it.

• Posted

That sounds horribly familiar ... and I find any 'emergency activity' such as pushing a car out of a field or lifting a really heavy object can flaten me the next day.  Steady regular activity is no issue - I can walk miles - but if I do too much in one violent burst I am taken out - I know when I've done too much - not sure how, its just a vibe that I don't feel right - no outward sign but I know when to stop, ... am usually far too busy and then pay for it the next day.  I can still function, but have no get up and go - like being vacuum packed into the chair !

• Posted

I'm knocked out after anything more strenuous than daily activity. I feel dreadful if I don't take heed.mseems to be a common bodily response after the thyroid has put your body under such pressure .

im on 30 mg carbimazole a day, am on reducing dose stage, from 40 mg. I put weight on but heart palpitations reduced. My T 4 has been 42 , now it's 22 , tsh still 0.01 . My t3 levels are less toxic but the itching is starting again.

anyone else plagued by the itch? I take selenium and complex B vitamins as recommended.

we are all in the same boat here....feel bloody rotten,minter speeded with a great feeling better day.

it doesn't last eh?

• Posted

Yes I get itchy.....and all the other symptoms except the jaw issue. I'm having a thyroidectomy as soon as I can get it as its been going on too long.

• Posted

I had the itch for years before diagnosis. It has eased off a huge amount since my levels of T4 came within normal range. I was able to keep the itch at bay with a daily dose of cetirizine. I thought I was allergic to something. Little did I know.
    • Posted

When you take replacement thyroxin, do it on an empty stomach and first thing in the morning, then NO MILK , tea of coffee for at least 30 mins as they seem to stop the stuff working correctly.
    • Posted

Hi Ross, I'm not on block and replace, just carbimazole 20mg. So I am wondering if this has made me too low and therefore hypo now. I was diagnosed hyper over 3 months ago with T4 levels of 50. My last blood test showed my T4 was within normal range at 17.9 but TSH still < 0.01.

• Posted

I never really understand the figures but I guess someone else on the forum will !!  I think - not sure - if the TSH is very low that means your system thinks you have too much thyroid activity so is backing off the stimulant hormone to reduce it - so I guess you are over at this point.
  • Posted

Just a quick update. My latest bloods came back as:

TSH 3.2 (normal range 0.27 - 4.2) so at last my pituitary is asking for more thyroxine

T4 13.2 (normal range 12 - 22) so a little on the low side and too close to hypo for my liking.

?I see the doc on Tuesday, but in the meantime, I have decided to cut one tablet to 15mg. I feel like I'm poisoning myself with 20mg carb now. Already my tongue and jaw clenching are markedly improved. I may cut to 10 mg tomorrow.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.