Complex ovarian cyst

Posted , 3 users are following.

My complex ovarian cyst went from 10cm to 6cm during my pregnancy which I lost at 6weeks.it has never decreased in size n was scheduled for a surgery. During the ultra scan when I had d miscarriage. It revealed it had reduced in size. Could it be d pregnancy that caused the decrease and do I still worry about going for a surgery.

0 likes, 5 replies

5 Replies

• Posted

Steph,

First my sympathies for your loss. Hormones of pregnancy can do many things including shrinking cysts. However, there are many questions that come to mind.

6 weeks is not unusual to miscarry, but was there a diagnosis as to why? Did the cyst contribute?

Has the type of cyst be identified?

Removal of a cyst is usually routine and I would think better now because it's smaller. Depending on the surgery would be it be laproscopic or abdominal? That would determine recovery time but if you wish to get pregnant again it would be wise to resolve your cyst issue before hand.

Pregnancy can complicate cysts and cysts can complicate pregnancy.

Was the surgery scheduled before or while you were pregnant?

I had endometrial cysts which got larger and mutiplied with each period. They also caused bowel and urinary problems due to their size and location.

I had a friend who had an undiagnosed cyst when she became pregnant. The cyst grew faster than the pregnancy. She looked 9 months pregnant at 3 months and had risky surgery which fortunately did not compromise the pregnancy. However, the incision made her very uncomfortable for the remainder of the pregnancy and she had to deliver by c-section.

I would suggest making a list of your questions and discuss options with your Dr. Based in tbe complications women on this forum trying to get their physicians to remove cysts that are causing them tremendous pain I would personally vote to have it removed.

I know surgery is scary but I would do it again in an instant to eliminate the problems I was having that I did not realize were caused by the cysts. I was dismissed by several Drs. before I found one that realized my symptoms were serious. I almost lost a kidney and had no idea it was at risk until the surgery. Yes, recovery is briefly uncomfortable but so worth restoring your health.

I hope you find my ramblings helpful.

Wishing you best of luck and health.

• Posted

Thanks for ur reply. Was pregnant before it was scheduled but didn't know. I never had issues With the cyst during my first pregnancy, in fact it disappeared cos It was never seen during scans. But returned after I but to bed. My doctor actually said d cyst didn't cause d miscarriage, but didn't say exactly what caused it. Will try to discuss all you've raised with my doc. So many doctors hv told me not to worry about it for now. But it comes with so much discomfort. Most especially pressure in my lower abdomen n frequent urination. What size was yours when u got it removed? D just say complex cyst without specifying the type. Thanks so much for taking out time to reply me. Hope to hear more from u.

• Posted

Steph,

Mine were the size of kiddie soccer balls, one on each side! Several smaller ones as well. I'd been losing weight, on purpose, but my abdomen never got smaller, but bigger. I never had the pain most women seem to suffer but was SEVERELY constipated.

I'd had symptoms for over 2 decades that my Gynecologist dismissed, so I assumed it was part of getting older. Drs. dismiss a lot of things because they are not the one in pain. I don't understand why the size of the cyst matters (when small) when it's causing severe pain. Based on the number of discussions I've read where, once investigated, the cyst has caused ovarian torsion which often causes severe damage (surprise) requiring ovary removal. Or edometrial adhesions also requiring surgery. Cysts in women are normal but they go away. Cysts that don't go away and cause severe localized pain are not.

The abdomen is a mysterious place because cysts can hide and are often soft and hard to diagnose the seriousness without expensive diagnostics. And we women tend to dismiss the changes and/or pain they cause as our curse to bare. Those changes often occur gradually so we grin and bear it until we can bare no more. But oh, it's intermittent.

Life is too busy and short to have to bear chronic pain that can be eliminated. If the Dr. was scheduling your surgery I

• Posted

would think you would want to have it out and be done with it once and for all. The down time will be short compared to what you experience from the pain. And I suspect you will wonder why you waited once you're up and about again.

Do let us know what happens.

(Sorry for the broken response) I was booted off in the middle of typing. :-(

Do take care of yourself.

Keeping you in my thoughts.

Best wishes!

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.