Which anti depressant?

Posted , 3 users are following.

I've had depression most of my adult life. On and off tablets which normally sorted it. Was on sertraline was great at first then dose increased got very very tired so was switched to fluoxetine. Felt totally wiped out was crying all the time felt anxious all the time and it upset my stomach. Those were stopped was put on beta blockers which did nothing. Ended up very poorly and took overdose. Was prescribed mirtzapine in hospital which were ok for a week or so but once I returned to work felt grogginess unmanageable plus constantly hungry was still waking at 5 am! Rang gp the other day he said to come off them as I had not been on them long so I have. I'm back at work on phased return which is helping a bit but still feeling very low not myself at all. Feel like the life has been sucked out of me. Motivation very low don't know what to do with myself feel very withdrawn and I'm scared. Got gp appt Monday don't know what they will suggest now I feel at a loss. My family are great bit they don't know what to do either. People say it will get better but at the moment I just can't see it. Should I try new tablets? Try no tablets? Please can anyone help me I don't know what to do. Thanks

1 like, 3 replies

3 Replies

• Posted

What dosage of mirtazapine were you on for that week? At lower doses like 7.5 and 15mg, it makes you really tired, at least for a few weeks, usually longer. But once you get to 30mg or even better 45mg the tiredness usually only lasts long enough to sleep great every night, but you have energy during the day. 

Doctors usually start you at a low dose so if you quit before you got up to 30mg or 45mg then you'll never know if 1) it was going to get better and 2) if mirtazapine wound up being the right med for you. In my case, it did get way better and it was the perfect med for me, for years. (I tried Paxil before that for about a year and it made my anxiety worse and completely changed my personality for the worse.)

Do you have a regular psych or doctor that you trust? Was it a hospital visit or were you admitted?

Sorry you're having a hard time Carolyn. Hang in there. I promise you it gets better. Sometimes it takes trying a few different doctors and meds and therapists, but it does get better. smile

• Posted

Thanks for taking the time to reply. I was on 30mg fine at first but then not really sleeping at all and so groggy and weak next day. Plus was giving me suicidal thoughts. Don't have a regular doc I trust unfortunately. Just feel so confused. It's got to the point where I'm now scared of tablets. Hoping it might go on its own but it's so bad I'm doubtful. I dread when I'm back at work full days as I'm hardly getting any sleep. My work are concerned as they know I'm off medication now. Don't want to be off as when alone I cannot distract myself. It's 6.15 am and been up since 1 am

• Posted

It has been up and down here too.  Mirtazapine now for a year but cant tolerate more than 7.5mg.  That gives usually a good sleep without too much of the life being slowed down.  Worth a try.  Also feel your pain about trying different pills, have had some bad experiences there too.  See how you go and remember you arent the only one going through this. There will be an answer

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.