My girlfriend has been taking DHC for 7 years that I kno...

Posted , 3 users are following.

My girlfriend has been taking DHC for 7 years that I know of,prescribed by her doctor !!! now shes 7 months pregnant and he is still prescribing them between 7/10 a day which she takes all at once on an empty stomach,she is a physical wreck, two of her front teeth have dropped out as she doesnt care about herself and is turning into a zombie,Ive just been informed that the baby is poorly and when shes born will be very ill.I cant take no more.can some one do something please before I barge into her doctors and sort him out.Surely he is not allowed to give a vulnerable young girl these tablets year after year and especially now shes pregnant.Im no doctor but I know this is mal practice and he needs investigating for this ! PLEASE

[i:a1efdb0d81]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:a1efdb0d81]

1 like, 6 replies

6 Replies

• Posted

[quote:d79838b1d5=\"D.\"]My girlfriend has been taking DHC for 7 years that I know of,prescribed by her doctor !!! now shes 7 months pregnant and he is still prescribing them between 7/10 a day which she takes all at once on an empty stomach,she is a physical wreck, two of her front teeth have dropped out as she doesnt care about herself and is turning into a zombie,Ive just been informed that the baby is poorly and when shes born will be very ill.I cant take no more.can some one do something please before I barge into her doctors and sort him out.Surely he is not allowed to give a vulnerable young girl these tablets year after year and especially now shes pregnant.Im no doctor but I know this is mal practice and he needs investigating for this ! PLEASE

[i:d79838b1d5]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:d79838b1d5][/quote:d79838b1d5]hi i was just wondering how your girlfriend is doing now and is the baby ok ? i found out today my boyfriend is taking these pills and not for the purpose they are meant to be, he has terrible addiction problems and i have recently found out he is taking heroin i am deeply hurt and dont know what to do i have 2 girls 11 and 8 and i am 6 month pregnant i had to call the police to remove him from my home today because i came down stairs thismorning and found him sitting at the dinining room table totally off his face with foil on the table with drugs on it, its not fair to my children to put up with all of this hence my calling the police to have him removed, but i am really worried about him and scared he is going to die what am i supposed to do ? somebody please help. x sara x

• Posted

[quote:1faf12964e=\"D.\"]My girlfriend has been taking DHC for 7 years that I know of,prescribed by her doctor !!! now shes 7 months pregnant and he is still prescribing them between 7/10 a day which she takes all at once on an empty stomach,she is a physical wreck, two of her front teeth have dropped out as she doesnt care about herself and is turning into a zombie,Ive just been informed that the baby is poorly and when shes born will be very ill.I cant take no more.can some one do something please before I barge into her doctors and sort him out.Surely he is not allowed to give a vulnerable young girl these tablets year after year and especially now shes pregnant.Im no doctor but I know this is mal practice and he needs investigating for this ! PLEASE

[i:1faf12964e]This message was automatically imported from the original Patient Experience[/i:1faf12964e][/quote:1faf12964e]

Hi mate. I can hear how worried you are about your girlfrind and your unborn child. I was given the same tablets as your girlfriend after the birth of my 1st child and when my doctors and I were 1st aware of me being pregnat again, I had no say in the matter of being taken off the pills, because of the dangers the pills have on my unborn child I too wasnt wanting anything or anyone I loved so much to suffer and I agreed with the doctors to stop prescribing them, have you gone to the doctors with her, I know for a fact that no doctor will prescribe this medication whilst woman are pregnant. If she doesnt stop taking them your unborn baby will be born addicted to them. The baby will also go through withdrawl which is a lot worse for them because their timy bodies go into shock and they could die if they cannot cope with the withdrawl. Please for the sake of your unborn child, please go with her to the doctors on her next visit. Dont let your baby suffer this. This is wrong for your baby. I also have had first hand experience with a friend of mine, her baby was born addicted and on the day the baby was allowed to go home from hospital, police were waiting for the parents to take the baby and the baby was automatically taken from the parents at the hospital ward. This is called a \"Gate Arrest\" The baby is then taken into care until the parents can prove and show that they are fit and well to take their baby back.

I hope you get on well with your girlfriend. She will need all the help she can get if she agrees to withdraw from it completely. Be there for her as much as you can but be there more for your child.

I would like to hear how you got on with this advice.

Wish you well.

Kara,

p.s. Make sure you go with her to the doctors, if shes really hooked on it she will lie to you no matter how much she loves you, for that moment she loves her addication more, please make sure you go with her for the sake of your child.

• Posted

god i'm so sorry to hear about your girlfriend being prescribed these pills. but sorry, i just refuse to believe that a GP is prescribing them. I have taken these pills for over ten years for arthritis and there is no way my doc would prescribe me those amounts! I try to manage with 6 a day but there is the odd day where i am really bad and need to take 8-10. These doses are spaced out evenly throughout the day. Only an addict could/would take 8-10 in one go! I have occasionally double dosed myself when I'm busy in the morning getting ready for work and think I have not taken them.. but have. The outcome is a very sore head, feeling sick and difficulty focusing properly. The best way to deal with this is to go sleep it off. its not something i would do deliberatley cos the sensation feels hellish. So god knows what taking such a massive dose is doing to her and the child! Are you compeletly sure she is being prescibed these drugs and not aquiring them by other means? The baby will be born an addict, with all the incubent problems that will bring, low birth weight, feeding problems etc. I know it is not the done thing, but have you thought about trying to get an appointment with the GP yourself to see if you can get any sense? or better still put your worries and the hard facts in writing to the practice manager.....name and shame the GP. There are codes of practice whereby he will be made to explain and validade his actions. Look out for yourself and the baby, it can't look out for itself.

Dihydrocodeine is a very good painkiller, it allows me to get on with my life, hold down a full time job and do a college course at night - unfortunately it is addiictive and if misused can wreak terrible effect. Please do all you can to help her and the unborn child. xx sad Debs

• Posted

What a sad start to a life,, born addicted to Codeine sad
  • Posted

one has to wonder what happens to people when they stop posting>>>>>>>>come back anybody on DHC.
  • Posted

[color=blue:394a7027f7][/color:394a7027f7] hi i was on dfs when i was pregnant, AND THE DOCTOR SLOWLY REDUCED ME OF THESE AND ALSO HE TOLD ME AS LONG AS I WAS OF THESE TABLETS 12 WEEKS BEFORE THE BABY WAS DUE THE BABY WOULD NOT BE ADDICCTED, SO ME AND THE DOCTOR SLOWLY REDUCED ME OF THE TABLETS AND MY BABY WAS BORN NOT ADDICTED AND FINE HOPE THIS HELPS :lol:

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.