No side effects?

Posted , 6 users are following.

I'm not sure whether to take this drug and would be interested to know how many people have taken it without experiencing any side effects (except perhaps dizzyness)

If it helped you and you have not had any particular side effects I'd appreciate if you could let me know by leaving a posting to that effect.

Thanks.

0 likes, 10 replies

10 Replies

• Posted

[quote:9647f6ee7e=\"321jim\"]I'm not sure whether to take this drug and would be interested to know how many people have taken it without experiencing any side effects (except perhaps dizzyness)

If it helped you and you have not had any particular side effects I'd appreciate if you could let me know by leaving a posting to that effect.

Thanks.[/quote:9647f6ee7e]1927 Taken for the last three years. only side effect runny nose. But I'm having cataract op and was told to lay off for 2 weeks!! No way!! Apparently it makes the Iris \"floppy\"and can cause a problem to the Surgeon

• Posted

Have been prescribed this drug for some 3 months now following an admission to A&E with chronic urine retention. Apart from intially having unexpected and slightly painful erections (which could have been related to the A&E catheterisation), I have only experianced slightly blocked sinuses but even this is variable in occurence. Overall benefits far outweigh the very minor disbenefits to-date.
  • Posted

Hi 321jim,

After a Prostatitis event in 2006, basically not being able to urinate, I was put on Tamsulosin and have been on it to this day. I have suffered with retrograde ejaculation, but this doesn't happen all the time, in fact it is quite rare. There was one occasion about 5 years ago, that I experienced having unusual orgasms, in fact it was like I had no sensation....I made the decision to stop taking Tamsulosin, but after a few months, my urine started to slow down. I asked the doctor if I could go back on them and I did and it made things better again. I never experienced the Orgasm thing again, and as I say, only now and then get retrograde ejaculations. I get no other side effects and I definitely would not stop taking these again. 

• Posted

I've been taking this about a year with no significant side-effects, apart from retrograde ejaculation, which you can get used to.
  • Posted

I understand that Tamulosin is usually prescribed (as in my case) to reduce the size (in older men) of the prostate, which begins to press on the bladder and makes us go more often to the loo.  To that extent it works for me during daytime and I have had no side effects from it.

BUT the prostate makes the seminal liquid which lunbricates our orgasms. If I take Tamulosin too close (ie the day of) expected sex), no liquid comes out and I get a dry ejaculation.  From comments I read on this board, I am not alone in this.

• Posted

That's not correct; Tamsulosin doesn't reduce the size of the prostate, it's a smooth muscle relaxant that relaxes the muscles in the neck of the bladder and in the prostate to ease the passage of urine.

A drug often used to reduce prostate size is Finastride which affects prostate growth.

If you're taking Tamsulosin, the prostate still makes the same contribution to seminal fluid (about 30%), but because of the relaxation of the smooth muscle in the area, the path to the bladder isn't closed off when you ejaculate, so the fluid is often squeezed the wrong way, into the bladder, instead of down the urethra. Hence the name 'retrograde' (backwards) ejaculation.

• Posted

Thanks. Muscle relaxant is another way of describing what I am told the drug's effect is on the prostate and then the bladder.

As I was snipped many years ago, the prostate is my sole source of seminal fluid.  So, if it goes in the wrong direction, I get nothing out.

• Posted

If you currently have an active sex life avoid taking this drug has a terrible effect of causing loss of ejaculation.
    • Posted

Surely it's only 'terrible' if you're trying for a family. Otherwise, it sex is just a bit less messy. You still ejaculate, but it goes up into the bladder instead of the other way.
  • Posted

Have been taking Tamulosin fo some 7 weeks now, the only side effects I have experienced are a dry mouth, and if I climb a steep hill rapid heartbeat can occur, (I am a Rambler).

I can still ejaculate, but have noticed that the result is much clearer than previous.

Having said that, I am still having continual discomfort and sometimes peeing is also a problem.  I do not think that this medication is actually working for me.

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.