Finally been referred to a dermatologist...what should I expect?

Posted , 11 users are following.

Hi everyone, I've suffered with urticaria for almost two years now.  It's made worse by heat, cold, sunlight, pressure, stress and my feeble immune system.  

I've had the skin prick tests, and am allergic to no foodstuffs, but am allergic to house dust, tree pollen, grass pollen and mould spores.  

I was given fexofenadine and montelukast by the allergist I saw.  They made no difference at all, except to make the rash even worse than it was before.

There is hardly a day goes by that I am not covered in this unsightly and debilitating rash.  It itches and is burning hot at times.  Occasionally it blisters and weeps.  I get swelling, but not in the usual places everyone mentions (i.e. lips and eyes).  My hands occasionally itch and my entire hand will swell to the extent that I can't bend my fingers.

I had some blood tests for autoimmune disease over a year ago, after which I was told they were all normal.  At that time, the doctor i saw refused to refer me to a dermatologist, instead she prescribed me three bottles of crotamiton lotion per month to try to control the itching, told me to stay indoors, wear factor 50 sunlotion and keep my body covered up all the time - very helpful!

Anyway I now have a more caring doctor, and I have an appointment to see a dermatologist at my local hospital on 23rd February.  I'm just wondering what to take along which might help them to help me.  On the day I'm sure my rash will behave itself and will be extremely mild.  I have taken photographs of it when it is particularly bad and will be able to show them.

Any advice would be most welcomed.

Thank you for reading.

Tina

0 likes, 32 replies

32 Replies

Next
  • Posted

Well hopefully you have better luck than I did when I saw a dermatologist after a 4 month wait! 

I too suffer with hives daily ... I have done now for 7 months ... worse in the morning with hands and wrists covered in red itchy spots. If I walk my legs get covered ... anything tight, hives appear! Seems to be no rhyme or reason. What I eat doesn't seem to make a difference!

I took to the dermatologist a month notes on what times they arrived, what I was doing / eating ... photos etc ... but he didn't even look at them. Like you Fenofexadine made my rash even worse ... each time I took one, within an hour I would be covered!! I told the dermatologist this yet all he did was prescribe me another 3 month course of Fenofexadine and said come back in 3 months.

Took a table, wham, covered! Stopped taking them. Saw my doctor who just said that people don't usually react to anti-histimine. Nothing we can do, wait for your 3 month follow up with the dermatologist. GREAT! To top it all off, it wasn't even the dermatologist that I saw, the Doctor told me it was a junior and when I go back at the end of March to insist in seeing the Consultant.

So my advice to you would be call before your appointment and make sure you are actually seeing the dermatologist / consultant!

Good luck ... let me know how you get on!

• Posted

Hang in there! I have similar symptoms for two years. Allergist and and Dermatologist agree it is a haywire Cholinergic Receptor causing histamine reactions. The receptor is responsible for pressure and temperature changes, and so is affected by a variety triggers. My biggest trigger is internal heat from emotions or exercise, though there are many other triggers. I was on 3 antihistamine a day for a year. Still had break through hives so was told to add pepcid ac to the antihistamines. At that point I went to chinese medicine and using "cooling teas" to replace the antihistamines. Down to one a day with the tea. Good luck! Let us know what the doc says.
  • Posted

Apple cider vinegar swabbed on the hives and skin is DIVINE! takes away itch and mellows hives almost immediately without any pharmaceutical ingredients.
  • Posted

Good Morning Tina

i have been suffering from Cronic Idiopathic Urticaria since the summer and two other times in my lifetime.  In the past I was able to treat the hives with fexofenadine 180 mg twice a day.  This time no over the counter antihistamine works. Needed to go on prednisone when severe only to come back in a vengeance !! No more of that.  My Dr that is a Allergist Immunologist is wonderful. She is recommending a monthly shot called Xolair that has been very successful .  The FDA has approved it.  Before I try that I am taking Doxepin 50 mg at night and just started taking Dapsome 50mg or 100mg. My hives have been getting less each day so wanted to share this all who are suffering with CU.  You will need a blood test to check levels first. I've heard drinking a lot of water and 2 tbs Organic Apple Cider Vinegar (with the mother on the bottle )in 8 ounces of water twice a day Also helps.  Thank you all for sharing.  I hope this might help you!  Blessings to you all.  We need to pray for a CURE,

Wendy

• Posted

Apple Cider vinegar works wonders on the skin, but my allergist said that it could worsen the hives if taken internally. I haven't tried.
    • Posted

Not sure about reaction to the apple cider vinegar internally.  When I tried it I was already broken out in hives all over.  The Doxepin and the Dapsone really seems to work.  I've been on the Doxepin for several weeks....but the Dapsone for about a week and I'm really encouraged....very few hives today!  I've also read many good things about it when I googled about it from many doctors....much success !  I hope this helps, do drink plenty of water.

Wendy

• Posted

You'll have to excise my ignorance but are Doxepin and Dapsone anti histimines? So far the anti histimines that the doctor and the dermatologist prescribed seems to make the hives an awful lot worse.
    • Posted

Doxepin is actually an anti-depressant but has a antihistimine in it and the Dapsone is a form of antibiotic .  Ask your doctor about these.  The Doxepin alone did not help but adding the Dapsone sure has helped.  Maybe the Dapsone alone will work!  I'll keep you and all posted as to how I do this next week!  Very encouraging!
    • Posted

Thanks Wendy62425... Will give it a shot although my doctor hasn't been at all helpful so far apart from the usual 'if the antihistimines aren't helping then there's nothing we can do' line. I've just moved areas and due to sign on at a new surgery so fingers crossed!
    • Posted

My chronic hives are idiopathic .........my downfall is stress effecting my immune system. Each time in my life that I broke out in hives was due to stressful situations.....unfortunately. Ask your doctor about Xolair injections as well. They are very promising and appears to help urticaria go away!!  If the antihistamines do not work...the insurance companies should pay for injections.  Google Xolair - Dapsone - Doxepin - for helping with Urticaria.
    • Posted

Before I actually saw a Dermatologist, one of my GPs prescribed Hydroxyzine, which she referred to as an old fashioned type of antihistamine, which helped with urticaria because of its sedating effect.  It did help a little and particularly with sleeping, which I hadn't been doing for a long time.

None of the other antihistamines helped me.

• Posted

Yes...the same..... I used 50 mg of Hydroxyine at night and it helped.  Another good day for me with very few hives due to the Dapsone.  I'll keep you posted.

wendy

• Posted

Hello Mrsmop

i just wanted to let you know that I am still taking the 50mg of Doxepin in the evening and taking 50 mg of Dapsone in morning and 50mg dapsone in evening and I'm doing pretty well. Just have some hives in the morning that go away soon after.  The hives are much less than before the Dapsone!  Such a relief!  I'll keep you posted. How are you?

• Posted

Hi Wendy, that's really good news and I am so pleased for you.  Unfortunately, everything has gone to pot with me!  I am off to get my esr/crp done today.  My doctor is expecting them to have risen.  I also have chronic  candidiasis.  I took fluconazole for 8 weeks but even then it didn't begin to clear and started to upset my liver but I am going to have to go back on it - I am on a waiting list to see the ent guys.

• Posted

I want to let you know that I have to go off the Dapsone as it was affecting my red blood cells......so disappointing as the dapsone was working to keep the hives away but important for all to know that I am very anemic It may not affect everyone like it did me.....having blood checks are very important while on Dapsone.  Be aware.

Wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy, that's a shame, will you be able to go back on it after your body has had a rest?  I fear I am nearly reaching that stage with my MTX.  I have my bloods done monthly.

• Posted

Hi mrsmop

because of problem with red blood cells I will not be going back on Dapsone.  I am now on prednisone to build back up cells.  My Allergist/immunologist is highly recommending me to try the Zolair monthly shots....her patients have done very well with it.........I just pray that after the prednisone the hives will just go away!!  unfortunately in the past it hasn't worked that way...but we all need HOPE!  Check out Zolair shots.  

Take good care!

wendy

• Posted

Hi Wendy, I have just been reading about Xolair and it doesn't look as though it would be appropriate for me.  I hope it works for you.
    • Posted

Have you been diagnosed with Chronic Urticaria? Why would the Zolair not work for you?

wendy

Report or request deletion

Thanks for your help!

We want the community to be a useful resource for our users but it is important to remember that the community are not moderated or reviewed by doctors and so you should not rely on opinions or advice given by other users in respect of any healthcare matters. Always speak to your doctor before acting and in cases of emergency seek appropriate medical assistance immediately. Use of the community is subject to our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy and steps will be taken to remove posts identified as being in breach of those terms.